Civ4 Patch v1.61, SDK, PitBoss, & Low-res Movies Released!

I experienced a bug in a 5v5 ren start teamer/ladder MP game.

My civ found no religion.
I adopted Confucious from a teammate's missionary.
Christianity spread from my neighbor teammates land (his city founded it).

- The city where Christianity spread suddenly was listed as a holy city in the F9 convert religion info. Only on the map it did not have a demarcation as a holy city. I could not spread confucious to this Christianity city and was unable to use theology/org religion -- I had spread confucious to like half my cities... so I had to stop, make a Christian Monastry then spread christianity and switch to it and finally got the theology etc.

Strange... I never seen this before... I have a save game to show the error, dunno the genesis of it tho.

Eli said:
Quick question: Do savegames with 1.52 still work after the patch?

They will load and be playable, but you may see a few minor inconsistencies with some of the rule changes, from what you would see in a new game.

Nothing is said about the increased anarchy turns.
I find this rather unfun to notice that every civic change
costs the non-spiritual civs 2 turns of anarchy.This makes
this trait too powerful.

Tatran said:
Nothing is said about the increased anarchy turns.
I find this rather unfun to notice that every civic change
costs the non-spiritual civs 2 turns of anarchy.This makes
this trait too powerful.

The anarchy length depends on speed. I think (could be wrong) it's the same as before at normal speed; it's just that it scales up "properly" now at slower speeds.

Personally I think that anarchy is a bit unfun, but I don't really think that spiritual is "too powerful", by comparison to some other traits.

How do I clear my cache?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I have absolutely no idea. :confused:

mrwhite89 said:
How do I clear my cache?

Hold down the Shift key while the game's loading screen is displayed. If you've successfully cleared the cache, you'll see "Init XML (uncached)" displayed as the files are loading.

mrwhite89 said:
How do I clear my cache?

The best way is to go to

C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Name]\Application Data\My Games\Civilization 4

and delete the directory cache.

You could also hold the SHIFT key pressed during the startup phase of the game. That should also empty the cache (but I don't know if it works equally well).

Well,I play most games at epic speed.There are more turns in a game
now,so I can understand why they increased it,but every game has
about 10 changes (civic + religion),so a lot of turns are wasted.
Also you are less flexible on the diplomatic front,changing religion or
accept an AI's favourite civic.I don't like collecting negative relation
points this way.

If increased anarchy is enough of a problem for people to complain about, then spiritual became balanced.

I'm not going to complain too much since 1.52 made my Civ4 completely unplayable - and now at least I can play - but does anyone else have these problems?:

1) Weird error messages while the game is loading: "Communism/Forbidden Palace/Three Gorges Damn text key incorrect" (or somthing like that) - doesn't seem to affect play, though.

2) Mao's name is now TXT_LEADER_KEY_MAO_ZEDONG, for some reason

3) No music until the Renaissance

4) Constant fog of war close to the South Pole - no matter how many scouts, etc you send down there. This is annoying most of the time and maddening when your civ is in the south.

5) Mouse-click noise is gone (not that that's all that important)

Arrrgh! Just upgraded from 1.52 to 1.61 and get three XML errors for #2 & 3 I'll only type the differences
#1 TAG:LEADER_MAO_ZEDONG in InfoClass was incorrect. Current XML file is: Civilizations/CIV4Civilizations.Infos.xml
#2 sames as above but: BUILDINGCLASS_FORBIDDEN_PALACE
#3" ": BUILDINGCLASS_THREEGORGESDAM

Already tried clearing the cachebut to no effect. v1.52 worked fine, any clues as what to do without having to do a clean install?

Boris Badinov said:
Arrrgh! Just upgraded from 1.52 to 1.61 and get three XML errors for #2 & 3 I'll only type the differences
#1 TAG:LEADER_MAO_ZEDONG in InfoClass was incorrect. Current XML file is: Civilizations/CIV4Civilizations.Infos.xml

Already tried clearing the cachebut to no effect. v1.52 worked fine, any clues as what to do without having to do a clean install?
delete/remove/rename your installed custom mods (or entire customassets folder).
These bugs are most likely caused by 1.52 mods you have installed that are not compatible with 1.61

I think Firaxis should by default say with each patch that if you have modified the game, reinstall before updating just to be sure.

It would at least remove the possibility of any problems being associated to modified game files.

Watiggi said:
Say you had a Modern Armour. The max strength is 40. Say it is 70% damaged, it's current strength will be 12 (70% damaged = 30% of it's max strength = 40 * 30% = 12).

Firepower - how much damage it deals - is calculated based on the strength of the unit. In 1.09, it was based on the current strength (in this case 12). In 1.52, it was based on max strength (in this case 40) and now, in 1.61, it is based on the average of the current strength and max strength, that is, it will be the middle of both extremes (in this case, current strength is 12, max strength is 40; average is 12+40/2 = average strength of 26). This adjusted strength (in this case 26) goes into calculating what amount of damage it will cause. So the strength used to calculate firepower in 1.09 is 12. In 1.52 it would be 40. And in 1.61, it is 26.

What this means is that when a damaged unit fights, it's firepower will be reduced also, but not to the extreme amount that it was in 1.09. In 1.09, weaker units had an advantage with whittling down strong units as the strong unit also had it's firepower reduced. Essentially a Modern Armour with a current strength of 2 was no better than a warrior. In 1.52 it became harder because the damaged stronger unit still "packed a punch". That is, the Modern Armour with a strength of 2 would still pack the punch of a unit with a strength of 40. Now in 1.61, it's the middle of both extremes. Essentially the strength used to calculate firepower drops less than 1.09, but still drops.

Worth noting also: The firepower is calculated at the begining of combat and isn't altered during combat (so when they are fighting, the firepower wont reduce after every failed round of combat).

Hope this clarifies it a bit....and I hope I got my maths right too!

Watiggi

Hey,thanks alot for the explanation. :goodjob:

Boris Badinov said:

mao and the dam, now i remember! yes, i got those errors too. however, it was just that one time. i haven't had to rename anything and no problems since.

Slavery: Low Upkeep. If i remember correctly this was same before 1.51 patch. Now it comes back?

mentat_emre said:
Slavery: Low Upkeep. If i remember correctly this was same before 1.51 patch. Now it comes back?
You remember correctly. I guess they decided having 3 no upkeep civics made the Org trait too underpowered. Now there are only 2 (Nationalism and Pacifism)

Watiggi said:
I think Firaxis should by default say with each patch that if you have modified the game, reinstall before updating just to be sure.

It would at least remove the possibility of any problems being associated to modified game files.

Isn't that common sense for all modable games?

Top Bottom