Civ4 PitBoss Available

Have a computer with the civ version you want to play installed and start the pitboss application! Beeing online 24/7 is nice too...

Yes it works just like direct ip ingame. Hamachi https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=nb solves most connection problems though(Including router issues afaik). If you intend to post a pitboss game i am sure some people from these boards would be interested to join. Pretty much everything should be explained in this thread though i can understand why you don't want to read 27 pages..

Isn't that in the first post? if not read last page it is written about it there...

Isn't that in the first post? if not read last page it is written about it there...

I was under the impression that the download from the first page was broken. I do have a PitBoss.exe file in my game directory but have experienced problems trying to use it. BTW, isn't this the last page? ;)

last as in previous.

Read the threads in this forum, basically you chose what you want though...

Read the threads in this forum, basically you chose what you want though...

I don't really know what I want because I've never hosted a PitBoss game before, nor have I played multiplayer very much. I just got into the multiplayer aspect. I would like to play more and since there is a lack of new PitBoss games I thought I would host one.

There are so many options on that screen when setting up a game that the process becomes overwhelming. I wish I had time to go through 26 pages of threads, but I really don't. This was why I asked if there was a nice tutorial for this - one spot where frequently asked questions are combined for easy reference.

Bamf do you have an IM service?
If so PM it to me.
If you would like to IM me sometime I can step you through the process.

I don't really know what I want because I've never hosted a PitBoss game before, nor have I played multiplayer very much. I just got into the multiplayer aspect. I would like to play more and since there is a lack of new PitBoss games I thought I would host one.

There are so many options on that screen when setting up a game that the process becomes overwhelming. I wish I had time to go through 26 pages of threads, but I really don't. This was why I asked if there was a nice tutorial for this - one spot where frequently asked questions are combined for easy reference.

For more on MP you can try www.civplayers.com, we do have a few pitboss players over there as well, and are in the process of adding pitboss games to our league stats.

I've got a Pitboss server running on a Linux box.
The Linux box itself is a PII-400 Mhz with 384 MB Ram running Debian testing.
I followed this guide to get Civ 4 Beyond the sword Pitboss working with Wine:
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/10/24/civilization-iv-on-linux-updated-how-to/
But i did some things another way:
No setup from CDs. I just copied an installation from my Windows box and deleted the directorys */Assets/Sound and */Assets/Art. Whether * is the directory of Civilization 4 and the subdirectories of Beyond the Sword and Warlords. It saves 2 GB disc space (down from 3,5 GB to 1,4 GB).

At first my Wine complained about a missing libGL.so, so I had to do an "apt-get install libgl1-mesa-swx11-i686" which seems to install a software renderer for OpenGL(at least it works! I don't know anything about it...). I'm not pretty sure if a hardware renderer would have worked because I only have a VNC-Terminal as graphical frontend due to that this computer has no screen at all.

Up to now I just did a short one player test. Just a few turns, log in, log out...
Next week I hope to check with a total of 3 players (1 LAN, 2 Internet).
"top" shows me a CPU usage of the Pitbossserver of about 10% when I'm not logged in. When the computer does its turns it raises to 90% for a few seconds.

So long

Redarg

P.S.: I was also able to start the game executable. It told me that my videos where not OK. (I deleted */Assets/Art, perhaps they have been in there.) But I got into the menu and could change the settings, like language (The first game I started had english leader names, titles, and so on, which reads quite strange 'cause the game version I was logged in with was another language).
P.P.S.: I also could start it on a Core2Duo T7500 2,2 GHz with 2Gb Ram and GeForce 8600M GT 512MB running a 64 bit copy of Gentoo as local user (not using VNC) without the OpenGL issue.
€dith1: Remark to myself: Check if this /ALTROOT= thing does the multiple servers per PC trick on Linux as it does on Windows.

I've got a Pitboss server running on a Linux box.
The Linux box itself is a PII-400 Mhz with 384 MB Ram running Debian testing.
I followed this guide to get Civ 4 Beyond the sword Pitboss working with Wine:
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/10/24/civilization-iv-on-linux-updated-how-to/
But i did some things another way:
No setup from CDs. I just copied an installation from my Windows box and deleted the directorys */Assets/Sound and */Assets/Art. Whether * is the directory of Civilization 4 and the subdirectories of Beyond the Sword and Warlords. It saves 2 GB disc space (down from 3,5 GB to 1,4 GB).

At first my Wine complained about a missing libGL.so, so I had to do an "apt-get install libgl1-mesa-swx11-i686" which seems to install a software renderer for OpenGL(at least it works! I don't know anything about it...). I'm not pretty sure if a hardware renderer would have worked because I only have a VNC-Terminal as graphical frontend due to that this computer has no screen at all.

Up to now I just did a short one player test. Just a few turns, log in, log out...
Next week I hope to check with a total of 3 players (1 LAN, 2 Internet).
"top" shows me a CPU usage of the Pitbossserver of about 10% when I'm not logged in. When the computer does its turns it raises to 90% for a few seconds.

So long

Redarg

P.S.: I was also able to start the game executable. It told me that my videos where not OK. (I deleted */Assets/Art, perhaps they have been in there.) But I got into the menu and could change the settings, like language (The first game I started had english leader names, titles, and so on, which reads quite strange 'cause the game version I was logged in with was another language).
P.P.S.: I also could start it on a Core2Duo T7500 2,2 GHz with 2Gb Ram and GeForce 8600M GT 512MB running a 64 bit copy of Gentoo as local user (not using VNC) without the OpenGL issue.
€dith1: Remark to myself: Check if this /ALTROOT= thing does the multiple servers per PC trick on Linux as it does on Windows.

Confirmed with a couple notes:
I used Ubuntu 64bit version.

I used this website as a guide http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9501

I added the dll's (d3dx9_26.dll d3dx9_32.dll mscoree.dll msxml3.dll d3dx9_31.dll d3dx9_33.dll msvcp71.dll msxml3r.dll mscoree.dll and msvcp71.dll) to the system32 folder as well as the beyond the sword folder.

I was not able to start pitboss though vnc server. That is when I got the
missing libGL.so error. Luckily, my linux box is hooked up to the t.v. so I started it that way.

The /ALTROOT= idea did not work for me. To get 2 servers running I copied the Civilization IV folder. I got one server running. I edited the ini server and changed the server port in it. I then started the 2nd pitboss server in the copied folder.

Good luck.

Yup, got the missing libGL.so when running from VNC.

libgl1-mesa-swx11 did not install cleanly for me. I will just stick with the hardware render.

My computer is always hooked up to my t.v. anyways because I'm using mythtv so for the rare time I need to look at the pitboss server it's not much of a hassle.

Confirmed with a couple notes:
[...]

The /ALTROOT= idea did not work for me. To get 2 servers running I copied the Civilization IV folder. I got one server running. I edited the ini server and changed the server port in it. I then started the 2nd pitboss server in the copied folder.
:dubious::dunno:
I just startet a two player game with pitboss under wine.:scan:
The /ALTROOT method does is job quite well.:goodjob:
Even on Linux!:clap:
I created a new directory, to which I copied everything from "~/My Games/Beyond the Sword" then edited the port in the CivilizationIV.ini at my new directory "/home/myuser/civ4pitbossgames/2er"
My bash terminal to start the Pitboss Server looked like:
Code:
myuser@mybox:~/Desktop/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword$ wine Civ4BeyondSword_Pitboss.exe /ALTROOT="Z:\home\myuser\civ4pitbossgames\2er"
And the server now runs at its new, other port.

So typing "wine Civ4BeyondSword_Pitboss.exe /ALTROOT="Z:\what\you\want"" should do the job. Z: is an imaginary drive letter generated by wine for its running application which settles at the root of the linux directory tree. Perhaps you have to adjust it to your installation of wine.

Redarg
P.S.: Where can I demand a Tux or other Linux smiley?

Top Bottom