• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ5 GOTM Submission Deadlines

Here are the changes we have decided to make concerning deadlines and difficulty.

• Game deadlines will now extend to one month.
  • Games will begin on the 1st and 15th of each month (after TSG16)
  • Game difficulty will vary between Warlord and Immortal (perhaps an odd Deity if you beg enough... :joke:)
  • There will be one game per month that is Emperor or higher and one that is between King and Warlord.

Hope this works for the majority of you. :)

Great news!
Does it mean we'll have tsg16 up and running really soon? :)

Yes, good idea and more difficulty levels are fine too. Try some map types other than fractal, but do not say what the type is so we need to explore and stay flexible on approach until figuring out what we are dealing with.

Using fractal masks all other map types.

Unless what you are saying is that we should, simply, drop the map type description from the game description data? :mischief:

Great news!
Does it mean we'll have tsg16 up and running really soon? :)
TSG16 is now active. :)

The gotm server has not been functioning up to par today. If you cannot see the screen shot of the starting location, chances are good you will no be able to download the save.

We apologize for this and ask for patience. :please:

It seems to me that the fractal maps have a certain predictable similarity of structure ... generally one or two large land masses. So you never get an archipelago, small islands, ice age, four corners, high plains, etc. So it might be fun once in a while to pick a different combination of map type, map size, starting age, climate, barbs setting, ruins, etc. That way part of the early play is to figure out what you actually have and until then you'd need to pursue a fairly flexible approach suitable to whatever the victory condition is (and I do agree that should be specified). Just a thought.

I agree with you.

The point I was trying to make was to ask how much of that you, as a player, wanted to know? :hmm:

Should I state the map script used or make you figure it out via recon?

I agree with you.

The point I was trying to make was to ask how much of that you, as a player, wanted to know? :hmm:

Should I state the map script used or make you figure it out via recon?

Even if you don't say, when we go to load the saved game, it has the icon for the map type and mousing over that tells you which type was selected at creation.

Even if you don't say, when we go to load the saved game, it has the icon for the map type and mousing over that tells you which type was selected at creation.
Well, I could save the map as a WB file and then call it up by its name. I think doing this masks the map type? There are unintended consequences, like no ruins, and some other things from time to time. I am learning to better use WB, but it isn't as easy as Civ4 was when designing maps. :(

Or you could just use Random map type so we don't know what it is. You could then save the map and look at it in WB, without editing it, just so you know what type it gave us. That should accomplish your goal of not letting us know if we need a scout, sailing, etc. before actually playing the game.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Load Game Map Type.jpg
    Load Game Map Type.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 128
Or you could just use Random map type so we don't know what it is. You could then save the map and look at it in WB, without editing it, just so you know what type it gave us.
:thanx: That will add an interesting dimension to map making. :lol:

My preference would be to know virtually nothing about the map or its contents, but I guess if that's available on re-load it wouldn't be much of a secret. Oh well.

Not knowing about the map doesn't add to any strategic play. A part of a player's strategy (and thus quality) is to prepare the game based on the known conditions, like unique ability, buildings units and also type of map. So no, i don't think not specifying map type will benifit (strategic) gameplay.

I would like to try some different maps now and then. Fractal renders random maps, but they are more or less the same form.

Yes I would like to try some different map types.

But I disagree with TyfoonTurk. I believe that discovering the maptype while playing and then adapting to what you discover is also an important part of a players strategy.
The best players will be able to adapt, even when by chance they made the wrong decision in the very beginning.

It is a lot easier preparing the game when knowing the map type beforehand, as different map types have different ways of playing which are all available in the strategy section (I believe, as I don't visit those parts of the site). So, when you don't know the map type you will have to make the strategy yourself, in stead of copying a premade strategy belonging to a map type.

Top Bottom