[CIV5] Revolutions and Religion

Too controversial, and in Civ4, it was basically a diplo mechanic. It served no great strategic purpose, and was not selling more copies of Civ. I'm not surprised at all that it got ditched.

I don't think it's likely that a good Religion mod will be made for Civ5. Too many people want a really complex religion mechanic (More complex than Revolutions are now), and that would take forever. The other spectrum (me) wants a simpler, but flavorful religion mod. I just can't see this dichotomy ever comprise. It's why I have avoided Religion Modding in Civ4.

Boy I'm having hard time dealing with civ5 not having a religion spreading mechanic....

The issue for me is that it may not be wise to build our own religion spreading mechanic until well after Civ5 is released, when we learn whether subsequent expansion packs will officially add it in. Can you have a revolutions mod without religion? Yes of course you can. Religion will still be in the civic system. Surely it would have to be.
Cheers

Too controversial, and in Civ4, it was basically a diplo mechanic. It served no great strategic purpose, and was not selling more copies of Civ. I'm not surprised at all that it got ditched.

I don't think it's likely that a good Religion mod will be made for Civ5. Too many people want a really complex religion mechanic (More complex than Revolutions are now), and that would take forever. The other spectrum (me) wants a simpler, but flavorful religion mod. I just can't see this dichotomy ever comprise. It's why I have avoided Religion Modding in Civ4.

Actually, it was much more than a diplo mechanism; it tied in broadly with the game: happiness, culture, great person system, etc.. I can't fathom how it'd be too controversial, except among religious fanatics. I can understand that it adds complexity, but no more than say turning the combat system in Panzer General-DCM. I'd say that Europa Univeralis has done a good job of reducing some of the complexity of religions by providing generic slider bars for tolerance policies.

Actually, it was much more than a diplo mechanism; it tied in broadly with the game: happiness, culture, great person system, etc.. I can't fathom how it'd be too controversial, except among religious fanatics.

No, it didn't. Not really. Every religion was exactly the same. Every religion had exactly the same stats. Heck, Corporations were more diverse than religions. Religions ultimately served no real purpose, other than to either achieve a cultural victory faster, or to mess with foreign affairs.

And the reason they couldn't make religions more diverse is because it would lead to controversy. If Firaxis made religion X slightly better than religion Y, everyone in the real world with Religion X would boycott the game. It's a political minefield.

Yeah religion spread ideas would be up for grabs on what looks to be a complete clean slate in civ5 for new ideas. It does look like civ 5 will be a return back to basics, getting the basics right and not over complicating the design. It looks like it will be way into the new year before the situation becomes clear on what Firaxis will do with religion in civ5 expansion packs. Surely religious spread will have to return at some point yes? The founding and spreading of faith is so integral to civilization in reality.
Cheers

Top Bottom