Civ5 Unit Graphics Used in Civ6?

Flak Fox

Radioactive Vulpine
Greetings all.

I was curious if anyone with more knowledge on 3D models (particularly for the last two iterations of the series) than myself, might be able to tell me if unit graphics from Civ5 could be imported into Civ6 (as a mod, for a new unit/replace a unit in Civ6) and how such a unit might actually look in Civ6 if it were possible.

I have an idea in mind for a very small mod but I just don't know how well the older unit graphics might look compared to the newer ones, or if such a thing is even possible. My limited experience with modding in Civ5 indicated that graphics can easily be scaled and modified in some ways but again, I just don't know how they compare to Civ6 units.

Thanks for taking the time :)

We are not currently able to import any new 3D graphics to Civ 6 as Firaxis haven't released the tools to do it. We do know that both Civ 5 and Civ 6 use the Granny 3D engine under the hood so it is not impossible that Civ 5 3D models will work in Civ 6 but I think it's unlikely (the Granny implementation is probably different) and even if they do they will need some repackaging for them to work in the newer game.

As to how they'll look - I think vehicles will probably look OK, but human units might look seriously out of place. The Civ 6 units are much more detailed - each individual finger is animated in the hands of human for the first time in a Civ game - so while things like helmets and weapons are probably portable, directly ported Civ 5 units would probably look quite out of place.

Thanks for the response, vehicles were primarily what I had in mind and I know that Firaxis hasn't released the tools necessary to do it yet, but I notice quite a few people have poked around and made some mods already so I was curious if anyone knew anything based on those preliminary experimentations.

Top Bottom