Civ6 June Update Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Death looks to be primarily the work of their multiplayer engineer (and art department). He's not someone who would be making game mechanic changes.

I'm not expecting significant revamps to mechanics in updates (unfortunately). A new way to do religion is likely coming in Civ 7, not now.

Basically, my assumption is that the core dev team is working on something else (a Civ 7 engine, another game, etc).

NFP, is mostly going to be art changes, and 'LUA' level changes, not DLL level changes. I.e. mostly resources that are ob hold waiting for the dev engine work to be done. Plus one core dev (say Anton) as the lead at probably 50% of his time.

The AI would be an exception - the AI development for Civ 7/whatever is next probably wouldn't start in earnest until after more of the engine is built. So I would hope for a continued AI improvement on 6. Of course they might just have a core dev switch to AI engineer, not necessarily have one dedicated.

I frankly would have paid the $40 just for 8 new civs and wonders and other content, so all the updates are bonuses to me, but I understand that different people had different thinking.

Because is not true. If you feel like supporting the dev you dont go and critisize then the dev for developing.

The NFP is a product you buy that is not tied to the free updates you dont pay for. We got the DLC we paid for, to complain that FXs has deceived you and took your money in an entra update you did not pay for is not a valid complain. As simple as that.

Precisely why companies use the season pass model instead of proper old school expansion packs where you actually know what you get. They can spoon-feed content to the players and leave a lot of question marks on their road maps. This way the publisher can always pull the plug when not enough people buy the pass. Release updates nobody cares about and cost less resources because it's just a question mark on the road map.

Anyway, I'm not saying I don't trust Firaxis that this year isn't going to be fun because Civ6 is a great game and I really enjoy the expansion packs but these first few updates are definitely slightly worrying. Expansion packs are just so much better in my opinion.

Also, you cannot dismiss an opinion by saying it's "not valid". I think it's very valid to connect the free updates directly to the season pass as part of the whole deal. Expansion packs in the past also included a lot of free updates to the base game. It has always been like that.

Precisely why companies use the season pass model instead of proper old school expansion packs where you actually know what you get.

Correct, so when one agrees to buy an undisclossed content, it is only our fault if we dont like it later. Except that in this case this does not apply. We were always talking about content not includded in the paid season pass. But free content for all players as a part of the "additional free updates for all Civilization VI players".

Also, you cannot dismiss an opinion by saying it's "not valid". I think it's very valid to connect the free updates directly to the season pass as part of the whole deal. Expansion packs in the past also included a lot of free updates to the base game. It has always been like that.

I did not dismiss an opinion, I dismissed a wrong argument. I can dismiss an argument if is logically invalid or factually incorrect. To put it clearly: If I lie about something I dont get then to say you cannot dismiss my lie. The same priciple applies here.

You did not pay for the free updates, then you are not to complain about having paid for the free updates you did not pay for. You can connect them in your head as much as you want. It is simply not true that you have paid for the free updates when you bought the DLCs.

Last edited:
What do you mean canadian-korean? There's no canadian-korean anything in civ 6.

*Canadian-Korean war . Just an example because in my game there is one,when in history there isnt. Civ isnt based on historical Settings like HOI;EU etc. is what i meant to say.And,even in those games you will find non-historical Settings and dlcs,without that meaning that they Arent anymore historical games.

I did not dismiss an opinion, I dismissed a wrong argument. I can dismiss an argument if is logically invalid or factually incorrect. To put it clearly: If I lie about something I dont get then to say you cannot dismiss my lie. The same priciple applies here.

There's no difference between saying an opinion "isn't valid" or calling it a "wrong argument". But let's please leave it at that. You clearly interpret the season pass differently than a few others here. That's fine. Doesn't mean anyone is wrong.

There's no difference between saying an opinion "isn't valid" or calling it a "wrong argument". But let's please leave it at that. You clearly interpret the season pass differently than a few others here. That's fine. Doesn't mean anyone is wrong.

But you are wrong. Paid content is content you pay for, and free content is not paid content. This is not an interpretation, and that is why I'm justified in saying you are wrong.

And I don't mean any disrespect here. This is simply a matter about facts.

Last edited:
Would you be concerned if the apocalypse mode had a Godzilla attack as a new optional type of disaster? Why in the universe would anyone be opposed to that? I would change the stupid soothsayer for a giant ancient lizard God any day of the year.

In Apocalypse mode? Godzilla is fine. I meant if it was one of the normal disasters.

And here for your delight, I felt the urgency to rescue from the history the first Sim City game, an indeed very realistic (with one exception) city builder simulator that was the direct inspiration for the first Civ Game according to Meier himself. And of course the idea of civ disasters was taken directly from Sim city.

How cute is the baby Godzilla destroying my city? A lot.

Although now that you remind me, I remember that now. Man, and that was actually a lot of fun. Maybe I need to retract my statement...

In Apocalypse mode? Godzilla is fine. I meant if it was one of the normal disasters.

Although now that you remind me, I remember that now. Man, and that was actually a lot of fun. Maybe I need to retract my statement...

That is one of the few things I actually remember from that game. That was 30 years ago... wow. And yes, that was a lot of fun. And you are also correct, I would not put anything of the sort as regular content. But Godzilla would make a much cooler apocalypse no doubt.

And for once, using the soothsayer to sacrifice your stupid units into a volcano to appease Godzilla, would at least make a bit of sense. Imagine if the appease the gods competition is rebalanced so the loser is attacked by Godzilla or the winner gets to decide who Godzilla is visiting next.

But you are wrong. Paid content is content you pay for, and free content is not paid content. This is not an interpretation and that is why I'm justified in saying you are wrong.

And I don't mean any disrespect here. This is simply a case of facts.

Man you're an obstinate person meaning no disrespect

It IS an opinion ! your opinon is valid, but I (and many other people) believe that without NFP, there wouldn't be any free updates every 2 months ! Ergo, we feel we did pay for it...

I for one am totally happy with what is happenning BTW

In the full view of time we will be able to look at what gets released in the "free updates", and probably be able to say whether they would have happened without coming along with "paid updates". That being said, the very fact that they are planing six "free updates" in twelve months, something completely unprecedented based on the previous update release schedule, is evidence that the "free updates" would not have happened like this without the "paid updates".

Is the patching coming out midnight tonight or tomorrow afternoon sometime? Patches are usually the later, yeah?

Interesting - that's the time of the livestream, I don't recall an update dropping the same time as a livestream before. But we're in uncharted territory.
I don't remember where I read it, but I thought the stream was 1 hour after the patch.

I don't remember where I read it, but I thought the stream was 1 hour after the patch.
The stream is 2 E, 11 P. Are you saying you read about the patch time in context to that?

Edit: according to a steam announcement the patch is 10 P, 1 E. So that matches your recollection!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom