1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ6 June Update Video

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Jun 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

I think this is not a problem of the way they monetize the game (frequent small patches and pass rather than big expansion one a year - which I like and I think it's overall better approach), but what is a part of this pass content. Some ppl want devs to be more focused on improving the game as it is.
    The problem here is for example dull mid and late-game which is hard to improve because it is a part of the core game design - win condition to be precise, which makes the game a snowballing race for resource generation with AI. This is the main lesson they should have for Civ 7.
    The second issue is AI (better Ai will increase the difficulty level of the game because AI will generate resources faster, and could military stop your snowballing more efficient) This makes the game too easy for elite and minimaxes.
    There is a Mythic Plus difficulty level in World of Warcraft dungeons which is a good idea for Civilization imo. Next levels of Deity Plus (no chopping, no selling goods to AI, limited turns etc.) would increase the difficulty level for the elite in an infinite way but also keep a stable and not punishing progress for casuals or new players.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  2. criZp

criZp Emperor

What do you mean canadian-korean? There's no canadian-korean anything in civ 6.

3. bitula

bitula Prince

Yes, and in my case:
    I don’t play multiplayer (except PBC, which is cool), I dont play scenarios, I don’t like sci-fi and fantasy in civ type game. Now imagine how disappointing Red Death was to me, given it is ALL 3!!!! And it does not matter that it is free. Problem is that since they themselves find it fun, it’s quite possible, that they will begin to invest more-and-more into it and even incorporate similar “fun” things into the base game. Then these “fun” things will be attached to general civ experience and associated with the genre and will make its way into civ 7 as something now mandatory according to this newer trend. Problem is it is always easy to find audience for this kind of “fun”, so I guess it doesn’t hurt the sales. Alternatively, imagine they add tetris to Civ as an optional mini game and develop it to a degree where it becomes so attractive that there will be new audience who start buying civ because of this. This is what I don’t want to happen in general.

Chefofrats likes this.
  4. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Sure there is. Canada and Korea can go to war at a few thousand BCE. That would be the Canadian-Korean War of 3200 BCE, for instance.

Fampat likes this.
  5. criZp

criZp Emperor

Yes, right. Obviously civ isn't a historical simulator, but is still based on history, and aliens/zombies aren't history, thus they don't belong. Same goes for the robot if you ask me.

6. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

"Still based on history" -- hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. If you want a history based game, go play EU4, HOI, or Victoria.

Civ6 has as much to do with history as NASCAR has to do with ambulances.

7. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

you know from the title of the game CIVILISATION! Sure it isn't "historically accurate" But that is fun of it. Most of Civilisation ARE from history and units/improvement/building/districts ARE from history. It dose give a good starting point in getting people historically interested in foreign history. I know people who became interested in Korean history and in King Sejung the Great after playing as him in Civ 5.

Elhoim likes this.
  8. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

then what is civ? Fantasy with elves?

Hawke9 likes this.
  9. criZp

criZp Emperor

Apparently, civilizations like Rome, England, India etc. didn't/don't exist, it's all made up.

Hawke9 and The Civs 6 like this.
  10. criZp

criZp Emperor

I did just say that civ was NOT a history simulator, genius.

11. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Good thing the zombies and aliens are in an alternate game mode that has no bearing on the actual game, then. Otherwise, you'd have a reason to complain!

The GDR is a future era unit. You don't know what the future holds for us, either.

StamVI, oSiyeza and Duuk like this.
  12. criZp

criZp Emperor

Oh shut it dude, all I was saying is that civ is based on history. That isn't complaining.

Moderator Action: Please be civil in your discussions. If you have an issue, please report the post and let staff handle it. leif

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2020
  13. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

for those who say civ isn't a history-based game... what is it?

14. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

What does all of this have to do with the June update video I wonder...? Please get back to the topic or open a different one.

oakdragon likes this.
  15. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Actually, in my last game, I got great proof of AI using ranged garrison perfectly in early game. Indonesia had declared on me and failed, as can be expected. I then went on offensive to their capital with a few x-bow and swords. It was a weak
    group, but I used to easily be able to take an early city with what I had, but I couldn't siege her because it was a water map and I hadn't researched Shipbuilding yet. She parked a Quad and a Slinger, of all things, in her city center and managed to block
    me through attrition. Was pretty happy to see that ;-)

And yes, AI Has gotten better. Group coordination is extremely better than vanilla. Barbarians seem even better than Civs, because they don't have to worry about conquering a city, so they seem to only worry about units. One thing the AI is still very
    stupid about is spending time and energy on attacking encampments when you have walls. No human player would do that (or so it seems to me), and you can just focus on their units and destroy them while they target the encampment.

Anyways... I wouldn't go as far as saying the AI has become good at military play, but... When I make a mistake in moving or coordinating my units, it can and usually does make me pay for it ;-)

16. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

Oh, that is weird. I have not seen this in my last games. or any of my games. They sometimes use naval units quite good, but I have still to see crossbowmen or archers or bombard units used well as a garrisoned defense.

17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I've said this before, but again:

Civ has always entertained scifi/fantasy spinoffs. I'm not huge on the side games either but people are. And saying civ isn't "about fantasy" is kind of a non-argument IMO. There's only about 25 years of precedence here that says it can be.

Kjimmet, sonicmyst and leandrombraz like this.
  18. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

I was not replying to you, but to Mr. Shadows who cleary, as said by himself, did not know what did he paid for. So I don’t know what is exactly what you want to say here.

If anyone complains about the money they spend on the Red Death Season 2, which is a free update for everyone. They are simply wrong. Not much else to say there. Anyone can criticize whatever they want, as long as they don’t lie about what they are complaining about.

You are entitled to think the game is not worth the money you paid for it. Or that the game is trash or whatever you want, but if you frame your criticism incorrectly you will probably be corrected.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  19. criZp

criZp Emperor

One 23 year old fantasy spin-off doesn't stop the series from being historically based.

Hawke9 and Bonci like this.
  20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

of course it is, but that doesn't mean it can't dip its toes into other material. I'd hope people would embrace a little experimenting even if they don't like the final result. I'm guess that without that leeway we would have never had SMAC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.