1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ6 save file too large?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by Labbadabba, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Labbadabba

Labbadabba Chieftain

Hi all,

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 2014 with 16GB RAM. I'm in a long single game on Huge Ynamp, 4 AI civs. I'm at round 930 and all of a sudden I can't load save files. It seems when the save file size passed 6.4 MB it can't load anymore, it gets stuck on "Loading, please Wait". If I force quit and instead try to load a save file from 5 turns ago that is 6.3 MB all is fine, and I've tried playing 10 more rounds without any crashes or in-game problems. What is the issue here? When I check the Activity Monitor it seems like the Civ6 process just keeps on churning, taking up more and more virtual memory.

What do you think? Is it just a RAM problem? Would 32 GB RAM solve this? Is there anything else I can do? I have about 200 GB free disk space on my SSD so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. LFRANK

LFRANK Semper Fidelis! Supporter

It's not a RAM issue as you should have more than enough to open the save file. If Activity Monitor shows the RAM used by the file continuously growing than it probably indicates a problem with how Civ is handling the file, a memory leak if you will. It's also possible you have a failing RAM chip that trips the error when the file grows too large, but if it doesn't happen in other programs then you're probably okay.

I've had a few crashes myself but the console logs all point to an invalid address (KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000). This is programming issue and must be fixed by Firaxis. I'd report the bug to them with the log file.

Best of luck.