Civ6 save file too large?

Labbadabba

Chieftain
Hi all,

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 2014 with 16GB RAM. I'm in a long single game on Huge Ynamp, 4 AI civs. I'm at round 930 and all of a sudden I can't load save files. It seems when the save file size passed 6.4 MB it can't load anymore, it gets stuck on "Loading, please Wait". If I force quit and instead try to load a save file from 5 turns ago that is 6.3 MB all is fine, and I've tried playing 10 more rounds without any crashes or in-game problems. What is the issue here? When I check the Activity Monitor it seems like the Civ6 process just keeps on churning, taking up more and more virtual memory.

What do you think? Is it just a RAM problem? Would 32 GB RAM solve this? Is there anything else I can do? I have about 200 GB free disk space on my SSD so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance for your input.

It's not a RAM issue as you should have more than enough to open the save file. If Activity Monitor shows the RAM used by the file continuously growing than it probably indicates a problem with how Civ is handling the file, a memory leak if you will. It's also possible you have a failing RAM chip that trips the error when the file grows too large, but if it doesn't happen in other programs then you're probably okay.

I've had a few crashes myself but the console logs all point to an invalid address (KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000). This is programming issue and must be fixed by Firaxis. I'd report the bug to them with the log file.

Best of luck.

Top Bottom