Resource icon

Civ6 - Wildlife Mod 0.4

So far, so good, it looks wonderful.

It's turn 92, playing Sumeria with Gilgamesh.

My capital and my units have been attacked by four Wild Animal units: two hippos, one wolf and one jackal. One of the hippos killed a lonely scout (fully understandable) and the other fell under the stones of one of my slingers; the jackal and the wolf fought bravely against one of my warriors, and they died.

The wolf spawned in plain view, something which looked a bit strange. Are you using invisible lairs, similar to Barbarian outposts?

I haven't found any other strange behaviour or any errors so far.

So far, so good, it looks wonderful.

It's turn 92, playing Sumeria with Gilgamesh.

My capital and my units have been attacked by four Wild Animal units: two hippos, one wolf and one jackal. One of the hippos killed a lonely scout (fully understandable) and the other fell under the stones of one of my slingers; the jackal and the wolf fought bravely against one of my warriors, and they died.

The wolf spawned in plain view, something which looked a bit strange. Are you using invisible lairs, similar to Barbarian outposts?

I haven't found any other strange behaviour or any errors so far.

thank you :)

the wolf should not spawn on plains terrain actually, the only case i can imagine is that there was forest on the plains terrain, then it would make sense.

okay, would be cool if you let me know how your game continues with the animals :)

In animal spawning script why do you check continent names? Do you always play the same custom map?

In animal spawning script why do you check continent names? Do you always play the same custom map?

From what I understand the mod was originally developed for the Original-Civ6-Earth Map only - then opened up to all maps.

You should use a table to store data used for spawning animals.

I agree with this - the Lua side really needs some simplification. Perhaps @ShiroToraRyu will need some support though since he is a beginner at Lua.

Its to ensure that no Hyenas for instance spawn in Europe or Arctica for instance, also, if players can tell me continent names, then i can adjust the spawn rates better targeted. Otherwise its a back and forth with spawn rates, due to the different maps.

i tested this mod on all maps, but personally when i play i just play the YNAEMP-Earth map

From what I understand the mod was originally developed for the Original-Civ6-Earth Map only - then opened up to all maps.

I agree with this - the Lua side really needs some simplification. Perhaps @ShiroToraRyu will need some support though since he is a beginner at Lua.

While „i“ (i did not make this alone) developed this originally for earth map only, its also true that i wanted the other continents like „Pangaea“ or „Amasia“ to also just have the animals they probably had in the past, according to the continental pieces they become later then, or will have in Reality, just with current animals (no dinos etc)

I had no problem to simplify the lua code...but i would need help for that.

Last edited:
thank you :)

the wolf should not spawn on plains terrain actually, the only case i can imagine is that there was forest on the plains terrain, then it would make sense.

okay, would be cool if you let me know how your game continues with the animals :)

The game has continued and Wildlife keeps surprising me, quickly becoming one of my favourite mods.

Just as an example:
I have had, at least in two occasions, to 'bait' a whale or a kraken in order to be able to attack and kill them. They came, pillaged my fishing ships and went away before I could kill them. So I decided to use both a Worker and a Quatrireme; the Worker would repair the pillaged Fishing Ships and move away. The whale would come to pillage again and then I could shot it down. It would run away. Repeat until killed.

First time EVER I have seen that behaviour in a Barbarian unit. I feel absolutely amazed.

The game has continued and Wildlife keeps surprising me, quickly becoming one of my favourite mods.

Just as an example:
I have had, at least in two occasions, to 'bait' a whale or a kraken in order to be able to attack and kill them. They came, pillaged my fishing ships and went away before I could kill them. So I decided to use both a Worker and a Quatrireme; the Worker would repair the pillaged Fishing Ships and move away. The whale would come to pillage again and then I could shot it down. It would run away. Repeat until killed.

First time EVER I have seen that behaviour in a Barbarian unit. I feel absolutely amazed.

i am really glad that you enyoying the mod too =)

Cool story from your game. Nevertheless i must say that we updated the mod and ocean animals are no longer able to enter coast tiles. It seems that You are playing an old version, but still it sounds amazing, indeed.

This teaches me not to send a land units unprotected across the open sea...
Spoiler :

upload_2019-8-31_6-37-35.png

Just started a new game with this mod enabled (small archipello map). After 30 or so turns, my capital was almost completely destroyed by 2 hippo’s, 1 jackal and 2 barb slingers :undecide: When settling my third city, my settler was almost eaten by a lion. They could only be saved by feeding it a warrior. I summary, this mod brought quite a challange to the early game on top of the raging barbarians.

One thing that feels a bit strange to me is why the wildlife is so hostile. Killing all the wildlife feels kind of wrong. It would be nice if you could tame the wildlife and add it to your zoo or circus f.e. or that they only become hostile when you enter the neighboring hex.

Just started a new game with this mod enabled (small archipello map). After 30 or so turns, my capital was almost completely destroyed by 2 hippo’s, 1 jackal and 2 barb slingers :undecide: When settling my third city, my settler was almost eaten by a lion. They could only be saved by feeding it a warrior. I summary, this mod brought quite a challange to the early game on top of the raging barbarians.

One thing that feels a bit strange to me is why the wildlife is so hostile. Killing all the wildlife feels kind of wrong. It would be nice if you could tame the wildlife and add it to your zoo or circus f.e. or that they only become hostile when you enter the neighboring hex.

Yeah the Animals can be tough to control. You can tweak the spawn rate in the Lua file as described on the Steam page:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1794164160

Doing something more complex with Animal capture and Zoos would require more work and possibly the DLL source code release.

Truly love this mod.
I just wonder if it possible to completely remove icons from this animals to make them less visible in-game, to create more surprise effect?

I don't know if you still check the messages here but im having a bit of trouble with the wildlife mod. It somehow appears that no animals get spawned. Is maybe Gathering Storm required in order for this mod to work? Maybe the problem is that i got civ from epic? This is my error in the lua log:

Runtime Error: Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI (Epic)\Mods\Wildlife\LUA\Wild_Predators.lua:160: function expected instead of nil
stack traceback:
Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI (Epic)\Mods\Wildlife\LUA\Wild_Predators.lua:160: in function 'WildPredators'
Lua callstack:
Runtime Error: Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI (Epic)\Mods\Wildlife\LUA\Wild_Predators.lua:329: function expected instead of nil
stack traceback:
Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI (Epic)\Mods\Wildlife\LUA\Wild_Predators.lua:329: in function 'SpawnOceanPredators'​

Top Bottom