Resource icon

CivAssist II 30-Oct-2016

Recently, Civ Assist 2 started showing up errors on opening with a box saying something about an exception that had occurred. I clicked the details button and what was written the is in the next post.
On clicking the ignore or continue button civ assist opens like this :

I have been running CA2 on Windows 10 for more than a month without any problems and suddenly this crops up. I also tried reinstalling but that was giving errors too.

Also, I have not installed any Windows updates recently.
Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks.

But my CA2 doesnt work on my windows 10. How did you do it? I made sure to run in administrator mode.

I asked this in Quick answers as I didn't know this thread was so active...

I have a completely clean install of CA II on my Win7 laptop after a great deal of trouble getting C3C installed and working. Now, CAII will not give over control of the game when I close its window. i have to click on a square on the map to get it back to C3C.

When I do a check on my registry I always get a report that I have an "Unused file extension .sav-CivAssist HKCR/sav "

Is there any simple fix for this or do I just get used to it and be grateful I still have Civ to play? :king:

I have published a new version that theoretically should at least run on Win10 (well, anything with .Net framework v4). It might get confused with the virtual store etc, in which case the auto opening of saves might not work, but at least you should be able to manually open saves. I may get around to fixing the save location at some point, but if people could try and feedback any install issues at least....

http://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/civassist-ii.21/

howdy ainwood,

jeepers, dude! i thot you had moved on and forgotten about this. [*grin*] good to know you are still alive and doing reasonably well. plus, i have REALLY missed ca2.

it'll be a week or so before i can test this, but i _will_ drop a note back here when i do. my setup has c3c installed in c:\games, so the virtualstore stuff aint gonna be a problem.

on a slight tangent, how likely is it that you will post the needed info to do this sort of stuff in another language? i wanted to do a simple command line util to show trades and treaties but was unable to decipher the save format. [*sigh ...*]

the idea of all this knowledge of c3c being lost to folks losing interest is ... dismaying.

take care,
lee

Hi Ainwood, good to know that you're still tinkering with this great utility. I don't have (and won't have) Win10, so I can't comment on the latest incarnation, but would like to report a sort-of-problem with the previous (Win7/8-compatible) version.

As you probably know, last year MicroSoft disabled the secdrv.sys driver on all post-XP Windows versions, with the result that most people running a disk-based version of Civ3 were forced (if they hadn't already done so) to install NoCD-patches/hacks to carry on playing. However, use of the 'official' NoCD patches supplied by Firaxis -- which (EDIT: for the Vanilla patch) require the original game .exe file(s) to stay in place and correctly named for the game(s) to work -- appears to hide the game's activity from CAII. That is, when using the NoCD patch, CAII stays in 'Manual Mode', and does not automatically update itself from the autosave.

This problem is not related to the VirtualStore -- rather than the default C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/.../Civilization3/ installation location, I have Civ3 installed (and saving games) to a secondary HDD (D:/Games/Civ3/, with CivAssist in D:/Games/CivAssist/).

And while it's not so much of an issue for me, because I have a DL-version of Civ3Complete (from GamersGate), so I can play using the DL-version conquests.exe, which didn't/ doesn't need patching -- according to some quick tests done by Laurana Kanan, this sort-of-problem appears to affect everyone who's playing using .exe files which do not have the 'official' Firaxis-bestowed filenames. Basically, that's everyone who's (now) using NoCD-patches to play the game.

The latest casualty is WeirdoJoker -- he's just reported the problem in the 'Newbie-questions' thread -- and he only plays Vanilla, he doesn't have PtW/Conquests...

Last edited:
CivAssist watches to see if Civilization has been started by enumerating the list of running processes, looking for "civilization3", "civilization3x" or "civ3conquests". If someone is running a 'no cd' version that actually uses a different executable name (eg. "civilization3 no cd.exe", then CivAssist won't be able to find it.

Easiest solution: Rename the no cd version of the .exe to match the base one (rename the base one civilization_base.exe if you like).

For some reason civ assist can open all my saves EXCEPT the game I am currently playing. It also cannot open the autosave files from the same game. No idea why, my current game is entirely standard, no mods or anything like that. Most recent save attached.

Attachments

• roma INVICTA.SAV
    146.7 KB · Views: 181
For some reason civ assist can open all my saves EXCEPT the game I am currently playing. It also cannot open the autosave files from the same game. No idea why, my current game is entirely standard, no mods or anything like that. Most recent save attached.
I have just experienced the same error.
Spoiler :
CAII worked just fine yesterday, but last night I ran a Windoze update... and today, when I started up CAII, a Microsoft .NET framework error message-box got flashed up, with the following Details:
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path1
   at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
   at �吩⁢䷨뱔.巋亏滵ᓲ莻讉�(String ෌胿쵼፞ⷡ⤸੭蕫, String ෌胿쵼፞ⷡ⤸੭蕫)
   at CivAssist.MainForm.촂�冠ꕶ䠁䒼蘢(㛡狧閽箏犵岣䕋児 飿嘼ꤺ︄绘왻)
   at CivAssist.MainForm.鑍戮⺵㸥㔟꿭(Boolean ᐅ旡豖彣�䌖һ)
   at CivAssist.MainForm.뎴喤겷铿쬚ᐪ�閎()
   at CivAssist.MainForm.ኳ꾝ᘹ⭯䀚ꩻ⭃䰕()
   at CivAssist.MainForm.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8009 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
CivAssist
    Assembly Version: 2.0.5083.37627
    Win32 Version: 2.0.5083.37627
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Games/CivAssist/CivAssist.exe
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8686 (QFE.050727-8600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
�哋䵛載㷑撹䂝ꐔ
    Assembly Version: 0.0.65535.65535
    Win32 Version: 2.0.5083.37627
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Games/CivAssist/CivAssist.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8015 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8019 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8007 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8018 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Haven't got the foggiest what any of that means, though! ;)

If I then click 'Continue' on the error-message box, CAII starts -- but my machine is now telling me that access is blocked to the (auto)savefiles for the game I'm currently playing. It will let me open a savefile from a non-live game, though.

Do I need to re-install, or update to the new version?

(FTR, I don't have CAII or CivIII installed in the C:/ProgramFiles: they're not even on the C-drive, they're on a secondary HDD, in D:/Games/).

IMPORTANT:

The above text has been spoiler'd, because in my case, it was a wetware-error.

The game I'm currently playing had been started in order to test a new installation of Civ3 in a new location. I'd then moved the savefiles (including the 4000 BC autosave) over to my 'primary' Civ3 installation, but CAII was still looking in the new location for the savefiles, so wasn't updating properly. I had tried to force it to find the files by entering my primary location into the relevant 'Options' box -- this didn't work as I'd hoped, but does appear to be the reason why access to those files became blocked while in-game. Now that I have cleared that Options-box, CAII will again open savefiles from the current game, while in-play.

So Toxicman, I would suggest that you check your CAII options-menu.

Last edited:
However, use of the 'official' NoCD patches supplied by Firaxis -- which require the original game .exe file(s) to stay in place and correctly named for the game(s) to work --
Where did you get that idea from?! :confused: The No-CD exe is not a wrapper around the original exe, it's a replacement of the original exe... Just delete the original one (or keep a backup if you like) and rename the No-CD exe to the correct name, and your "problem" should be solved... :lol:

according to some quick tests done by Laurana Kanan, this sort-of-problem appears to affect everyone who's playing using .exe files which do not have the 'official' Firaxis-bestowed filenames. Basically, that's everyone who's (now) using NoCD-patches to play the game.

Well, I've been using the PCGames No-CD exe since 2009, and never had any such problem... :smoke:

Where did you get that idea from?! :confused: The No-CD exe is not a wrapper around the original exe, it's a replacement of the original exe... Just delete the original one (or keep a backup if you like) and rename the No-CD exe to the correct name, and your "problem" should be solved... :lol:
The problem I report above (and WeirdoJoker reported in the Newbie-questions thread), refers primarily to the Vanilla patch, not the Conquests patch (which I don't need, because I have an already-patched GamersGate DL-copy of C3(In)Complete; and WJ doesn't need, because he(?) doesn't have Conquests).

So I say this, because it's true: replacing the original Vanilla civilization3.exe with the patch was what I tried to do initially, and it didn't/ doesn't work (i.e. the game won't even start loading); the NoCD patch only works, if the original .exe remains in place and correctly named. (FTR, the Vanilla patch is very small, relative to the original .exe: ~1.6 Mb vs. ~7.6 Mb, respectively. So if the patch were simply a replacement for the original, that would imply that ~6.0 Mb of the original file's code is devoted to copy-protection! Does that seem reasonable? :crazyeye: )

And also, it's quite possible that the PCGames NoCD patch-package has been altered since 2009: for example, even if it did at one point include a PtW NoCD patch, this is no longer the case (at least, it was not the case when I downloaded it last year).

Last edited:
The above text has been spoiler'd, because in my case, it was a wetware-error.

The game I'm currently playing had been started in order to test a new installation of Civ3 in a new location. I'd then moved the savefiles (including the 4000 BC autosave) over to my 'primary' Civ3 installation, but CAII was still looking in the new location for the savefiles, so wasn't updating properly. I had tried to force it to find the files by entering my primary location into the relevant 'Options' box -- this didn't work as I'd hoped, but does appear to be the reason why access to those files became blocked while in-game. Now that I have cleared that Options-box, CAII will again open savefiles from the current game, while in-play.

So Toxicman, I would suggest that you check your CAII options-menu.

Didn't help, sorry bro

Using the old CAII (not the october update)

my conquest is named Civ3Conquests.exe located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests
my CAII I put in C:\Program Files (x86)\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests

ran both on adminstration mode
I also did this "..cleared that Options-box.." (before hand)

I opened CAII first
1.) operation mode of CAII says "Manual Mode"

I opened my Civ3Conquests.exe
2.) operation mode of CAII says "Look Out"
3.) Civilization III - Conquest Detected

I open a saved map, end turn, but CAII displays nothing.

Using the NEW CAII (october update)
Only Manual Mode.

Other things to mention
I tried copying the whole civ folder and CAII (both the new and the old [game of thrones] :D) to my desktop (which usually removes all administration issues?) but still the results are the same as above.

Any Help?

Last edited:
I am having some problems running Civ Assist 2.

I have recently intalled the latest version of Civ Assist 2, I am running Windows 10 and have a steam version of Civ III Complete installed.

Civ Assist is installed in C/myname/games/ civ assist.exe
Civ III complete is installed in C/myname/games/steam/steamapps/common/ sid meier's civ III complete

When I start the program (run as admin) I get the following error message:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quit the application will close immediately.

Value cannot be null
Parameter name path1"

So here are the issues I have with Civ Assist 2.

1) Why am I getting this error message on opening the programme?

2) When Civ Assist 2 is running I am able to manually load PTW save files from the PTW auto save file. But when I play a C3C game and I manually load a save from the C3C auto save file I get the following error message "Cannot open... file path..... Access is blocked.". So why is Civ Assist only working for PTW games but not C3C games?

3) Years ago when I used CA2 under Windows XP, CA2 would automatically load the auto save file of the game. But now i need to manually pick the auto save each turn to read the aterts / access the information. Why are the save files not loading automtically each turn?

4) Again, when I had CA2 working on Windows XP, when I played Civ III there was a small CA2 box which I could click on to get the information. Is this feature still available? Have I missed something to get the samll box?

5) Again, when I had CA2 working on Windows XP, when I went to the alerts and for example it said Rome will riot next turn, or Paris has just grown. If i clicked on the city name it would take me to the city, making it easy to find. This feature doesnt seem to be working now. Have I missed something to get this feature to work?

Any assistance on the above, particularly for 2, would be appreciated.

Scratcher

CivAssist watches to see if Civilization has been started by enumerating the list of running processes, looking for "civilization3", "civilization3x" or "civ3conquests". If someone is running a 'no cd' version that actually uses a different executable name (eg. "civilization3 no cd.exe", then CivAssist won't be able to find it.

Easiest solution: Rename the no cd version of the .exe to match the base one (rename the base one civilization_base.exe if you like).
Does it matter what folder the various files (i.e., "civilization3" and "civassist" are in? Both folders are now on my desktop, and CivAssist does not seem to automatically read from Civ3. I've tried moving the Civ3 file to other folders (like Program Files and Program Files (x86)), but the game won't run from there. What am I missing?

Edit: I did rename the file from "civilization3 No CD" to simply "civilization3" but it makes no difference.

Last edited:
@Scratcher
Are you sure that both programs are installed in C:\myname\games... and not in C:\USERS\myname\games... ?

@WeirdoJoker
Yes, it matter what folder the files are installed

Both your programs CIVIII & CAII must NOT be installed in "program files (x86)" or in your profil (C:\users\yourname). Those folders (and subfolders) have special protections from Windows (especialy W10) that creat various problems.

I'm running W10. I've created a folder directly on C: root, called "games". Inside I've created a folder CIV III and another CivAssist. Both programs are installed in their respective folders.
Running both of them as administrator (by right clicking on the shortcuts to launch, not by checking the option in properties, it doesn't work) and everything works fine.

Hope it will help...

Ok, this is my first post on here and I am pretty new to civ3 and have no experience with civ assist 2.

I recently bought Civ3Complete from GOG.com and it appears to be running fine on Windows 10 for me. And I just now installed CA2, but I am having issues. Particularly loading games. It appears to run fine when I run it as an Admin, but when I start the game, it doesn't load or show anything, and when I try to pick a saved game file, it gives me the error shown in the attachment.

Is there a Readme for CA2? Or maybe a part of this thread/forum that deals with the basics of getting CA2 running? I've only read the first and last page of this thread so far (it is super long). If I can't find something like a readme though, I may ask some newb questions here, and give more details on my problem.

I did see several errors that give the same message that Scratcher described, but none of them seemed to be show stoppers unless I misunderstood them.

I think it would be great if I got this working, because I am definitely a micromanager player for civ3! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Civ Assist exception.PNG
    Civ Assist exception.PNG
    10.5 KB · Views: 199

I forgot to mention that I saw this post about how CA2 looks for the thread/process name. If I understand this right, this is what I see in the task manager? So as is shown in the attachment for the task manager, mine is titled "Civ3Complete"? In the other attachment showing my civ3 install files, there are multiple .exe files. I tried renaming the "Civ3Launcher" in the top Civ3Complete directory to "Civ3Conquests". But when I tried to open that, it made my computer go into some crazy infinite loading of applications or something, showing dozens to hundreds of tasks all named the same in the task manager. So I think I misunderstood something and renamed the wrong thing, or that approach wont work for me/Civ3complete?

From the same picture, you can see there is a "Conquests" sub folder which I assume is supposed to be for the conquests expansion, and as you can see, that folder already has an executable named "Civ3Conquests". But whether I run this executable, or the "Civ3Launcher" it still runs Civ3Complete, and that is what it shows in the task manager.

How does renaming the executable have any bearing on what the process ends up being titled? Or maybe it could have to do with something GOG.com may have done to the game, as I think they often go through and update and revamp a lot of files in the versions of games they sell. Anyway, I was thinking this may be why it doesn't open my saved games, but I don't know how to fix it if so.

Attachments

• Civ3Complete task.PNG
    Civ3Complete task.PNG
    35.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Civ3Complete files.PNG
    Civ3Complete files.PNG
    61.5 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I saw this post about how CA2 looks for the thread/process name. If I understand this right, this is what I see in the task manager? So as is shown in the attachment for the task manager, mine is titled "Civ3Complete"? In the other attachment showing my civ3 install files, there are multiple .exe files. I tried renaming the "Civ3Launcher" in the top Civ3Complete directory to "Civ3Conquests". But when I tried to open that, it made my computer go into some crazy infinite loading of applications or something, showing dozens to hundreds of tasks all named the same in the task manager. So I think I misunderstood something and renamed the wrong thing, or that approach wont work for me/Civ3complete?

From the same picture, you can see there is a "Conquests" sub folder which I assume is supposed to be for the conquests expansion, and as you can see, that folder already has an executable named "Civ3Conquests". But whether I run this executable, or the "Civ3Launcher" it still runs Civ3Complete, and that is what it shows in the task manager.
Well that's odd. AFAIK, 'Complete' is simply a marketing thing: it meant that the installation included (on the disk version) the 'basic' release of Civ3 (='Vanilla')and all associated files, plus the 2 expansion-packs (Play the World, Conquests). Each of the 3 versions of Civ3 had/has its own executable, and the disk-version of Civ3Complete (and possibly some of the earlier download-versions, I wouldn't know) included the final patches of each of these (Civilization3.exe v.1.29, Civilization3X.exe v.1.27, and Civ3Conquests.exe v.1.22).

However, the current download-version from Steam and now GOG (and previously also GamersGate, before they took it off their virtual shelf), include only the Civ3Conquests.exe v.1.22, presumably on the basis that since this is the most recent verson of the game, no-one 'needs' to have the earlier versions. So although the splash-screen says 'Civ3 Complete', rest assured, you are actually running Civ3Conquests -- and I'm not sure why the Task Manager is registering it as 'Civ3Complete'.
How does renaming the executable have any bearing on what the process ends up being titled? Or maybe it could have to do with something GOG.com may have done to the game, as I think they often go through and update and revamp a lot of files in the versions of games they sell. Anyway, I was thinking this may be why it doesn't open my saved games, but I don't know how to fix it if so.
This could well be the reason. The 'Civ3Launcher.exe' is GOG's addition to the standard fileset -- and as far as I can tell, this was pretty much the only thing they added of any consequence. I'm not sure what extra goal it's supposed to accomplish (maybe has something to do with connecting the game to the GOG-Galaxy client for updates, or logging game-time?), but from a front-end PoV, it basically just starts up the Civ3Conquests.exe. However, using the GOG-shortcut (which links first to the Civ3Launcher.exe) as the primary means of starting up Civ3, could well hide from CAII the fact that the Civ3Conquests.exe is (also) running (similar to the use of a 'Civ3...NoCD.exe').

Sooo... did you actually try starting CAII, and then double-clicking directly on the Civ3Conquests.exe in your .../Civilization3/Conquests/ folder? By going direct to the source, so to speak, CAII should then be able to detect that the game is running (it'll say 'Lookout mode' in the lower left corner), and update itself when a new autosave is created at end-of-turn. If this works, then the simplest thing would be to just ignore the GOG-created shortcut altogether, and to create a shortcut directly to the Civ3Conquests.exe yourself. That's what I did for my installations of Civ3Complete from GamersGate (under WinXP on the older machine, and under Win8.1 on the newer one), and neither of the corresponding installations of CAII has any problem registering that Civ3 (Vanilla, PtW or Conquests) is running.

(FYI: the .../Civilization3/Conquests/Conquests/ subfolder which is checked in your second screenshot, holds the .biq-, art- and text-files for the Firaxis-created Scenarios that were included with the Conquests expansion: Mespotamia, Rise of Rome, Sengoku, WWII in the Pacific, etc. That subfolder is not used at all when running an 'epic game' of Civ3Conquests.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom