Resource icon

CivAssist II 30-Oct-2016

Tried using CAII with C3C, and I get an "access is blocked" error, just like bbrady413.

Tried using CAII with C3C, and I get an "access is blocked" error, just like bbrady413.
This is for the GOG-version of C3C, on Win10, yes?

Firstly, don't use the GOG-installed shortcut to start the game: I found* that this doesn't lead directly to the civ3conquests.exe file (which is what CAII is looking for), it leads to some kind of shell-file that GOG have included in their package, which may well then hide the game's activity from CAII. Have you tried running the game directly from the .exe while CAII is also running? Or simply opening a .sav file using CAII, while the game is not running? If CAII then works as it should, then it might be that all you need to do is generate your own shortcut, directly to the civ3conquests.exe, and use that in future.

If that doesn't help, then it would also be useful to know
  • where you've installed the 2 programs? (full path, from the drive letter)
  • whether you fully uninstalled your previous (disk-based?) installation of Civ3 Vanilla before installing the GOG-version?
  • whether you're using the newest, supposedly Win10-compatible version of CAII?
  • whether you already gave CAII Admin rights? (It may/will need them)
Spoiler My GOG-Civ3 vs. CAII experience :
I have Win8.1, and my DL-version of Civ3 (originally from GamersGate) is installed on my secondary HDD in D:\Games\Civ3, with CAII installed in D:\Games\CivAssist. I added NoCD patches for the Vanilla and PtW .exes (obtained elsewhere) to the GG-C3C install, and run all programs from shortcuts which I've pinned to the Taskbar. When I DL'd and installed the game from GOG, I put it in D:\GOG\...\Civilization3, and CAII still had no problems 'seeing' the game running, and updating itself -- provided that I ran the game directly from the civ3conquests.exe.

In general, CAII works reasonably reliably on my machine, but not 100% of the time: sometimes it 'stops responding', and it also doesn't always shut down cleanly after I've exited the game (sometimes I need to use the TaskManager). However, these problems might have something to do with my using dual monitors with Civ3 on the primary (stretched to 1600*1200 using KeepRes=0) and CAII on the secondary (which is 1680*1050, IIRC), and/or running several additional apps simultaneously (e.g. Windows Media Player, the Microsoft Minesweeper app, and/or Firefox), and/or because I'm currently playing @Civinator's CCM Mod, which generates save-files a lot larger than the 'standard' Firaxis epic-game.

This is for the GOG-version of C3C, on Win10, yes?
Yes.

Firstly, don't use the GOG-installed shortcut to start the game: I found* that this doesn't lead directly to the civ3conquests.exe file (which is what CAII is looking for), it leads to some kind of shell-file that GOG have included in their package, which may well then hide the game's activity from CAII. Have you tried running the game directly from the .exe while CAII is also running? Or simply opening a .sav file using CAII, while the game is not running? If CAII then works as it should, then it might be that all you need to do is generate your own shortcut, directly to the civ3conquests.exe, and use that in future.
I tried it (now that you've said it), and it's not working. The main problem seems to be that, while I can get CAII to open my old Vanilla saves, I cannot open any of the C3C saves. It simply gives me an "access is blocked" error.

Also, even with the Vanilla saves, I could not get it to automatically update once I had started using the No CD patch; I had to save and then open the save file.

where you've installed the 2 programs? (full path, from the drive letter)
C:\GOG Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\civ3conquests.exe

C:\GOG Games\CivAssist.exe

whether you fully uninstalled your previous (disk-based?) installation of Civ3 Vanilla before installing the GOG-version?
That, I have not done. However, under Control Panel --> Programs & Features (to uninstall), the old one does not show up, just the new one. Should I uninstall all then reinstall from GOG?

whether you're using the newest, supposedly Win10-compatible version of CAII?
I believe I am, having gotten the link from somewhere on here that said it was. (I could be wrong, of course....)

whether you already gave CAII Admin rights? (It may/will need them)
Not sure how this would work. Running as administrator does not make any difference, though.

However, these problems might have something to do with my using dual monitors with Civ3 on the primary (stretched to 1600*1200 using KeepRes=0) and CAII on the secondary (which is 1680*1050, IIRC), and/or running several additional apps simultaneously (e.g. Windows Media Player, the Microsoft Minesweeper app, and/or Firefox), and/or because I'm currently playing @Civinator's CCM Mod, which generates save-files a lot larger than the 'standard' Firaxis epic-game.
I can imagine that being an issue. I'm running three monitors, with Civ3 on the primary; CAII on the secondary, along with Chrome (multiple tabs) and Excel; and a DVD program on the tertiary.

while I can get CAII to open my old Vanilla saves, I cannot open any of the C3C saves.
That's weird. Are these C3C-saves generated from new games, or from continuations of a game(s) you started in Vanilla? Because while the game executables can cope with opening/continuing saves made in an earlier version(s), I'm not sure if CAII can.
Not sure how this would work. Running as administrator does not make any difference, though.
Just to be clear: simply running CAII via an Admin-status user-account is not what I mean, nor is right-clicking on the CAII executable and then clicking 'Run as Admin'. Rather, in the right-click menu, under 'Properties', you can give CAII itself admin-rights, allowing it to write to other files on your machine. If I understood AInwood's explanation correctly, CAII needs to be able to do this in order to recognise your game executable(s) in the active-task list.

And also, even if you're using NoCD-versions of the game-executables, they should be (re)named (if you haven't done so already) to the default filename(s), i.e. civilization3.exe for Vanilla, civilization3X.exe for PtW.
That, I have not done. However, under Control Panel --> Programs & Features (to uninstall), the old one does not show up, just the new one. Should I uninstall all then reinstall from GOG?
If all else fails, and you don't mind doing so, then yes, that might be necessary (GOG places no limit on how often you DL/reinstall any game bought from them, so you don't need to worry on that score).

But I just thought of one other thing to check before you start any uninstalling/reinstalling. In the CAII Options menu, there is a box labelled 'Set file path to game files' (or something like that). If the game is fully installed and working, then this box should be left blank -- so if you already entered anything in there, delete it, and see if that helps to get CAII to work/update itself.

If you do go as far as a full un-install/re-install (and especially if you've ever previously 'uninstalled' anything by simply deleting its directory), you may also need to tidy up your registry, to clear out any entries that are no longer valid/possibly confusing CAII -- but I'm not the best person to ask about that (I've only ever seen it suggested by others more tech-savvy than myself, never done it).

If none of the above helps, then (sorry but) I don't know what else to suggest.

That's weird. Are these C3C-saves generated from new games, or from continuations of a game(s) you started in Vanilla? Because while the game executables can cope with opening/continuing saves made in an earlier version(s), I'm not sure if CAII can.
I'm talking about C3C saves. What's weird, though, is that when attempting to open a save in CAII and select for Vanilla/PTW/C3C, the C3C saves show up under "Vanilla," not C3C, even though they are in C3C and in the correct Saves folder.

Just to be clear: simply running CAII via an Admin-status user-account is not what I mean, nor is right-clicking on the CAII executable and then clicking 'Run as Admin'. Rather, in the right-click menu, under 'Properties', you can give CAII itself admin-rights, allowing it to write to other files on your machine. If I understood AInwood's explanation correctly, CAII needs to be able to do this in order to recognise your game executable(s) in the active-task list.
I thought you meant something like that. I went through the options, and either it already has that permission, or I can't figure out how to add it.

And also, even if you're using NoCD-versions of the game-executables, they should be (re)named (if you haven't done so already) to the default filename(s), i.e. civilization3.exe for Vanilla, civilization3X.exe for PtW.
That is taken care of ... not a problem in itself.

If all else fails, and you don't mind doing so, then yes, [uninstall/reinstall] might be necessary.
Kind of waiting for that as a last resort. I am also wondering if I need to re-download CAII.

But I just thought of one other thing to check before you start any uninstalling/reinstalling. In the CAII Options menu, there is a box labelled 'Set file path to game files' (or something like that). If the game is fully installed and working, then this box should be left blank -- so if you already entered anything in there, delete it, and see if that helps to get CAII to work/update itself.
I thought it would help, and it looked like it would, but I still get "access blocked" to those files.

If you do go as far as a full un-install/re-install (and especially if you've ever previously 'uninstalled' anything by simply deleting its directory), you may also need to tidy up your registry, to clear out any entries that are no longer valid/possibly confusing CAII -- but I'm not the best person to ask about that (I've only ever seen it suggested by others more tech-savvy than myself, never done it).
Ugh ... I hate messing around with the registry unless I know exactly what I'm doing (which sometimes happens, with explicit instructions). I suppose I could take a look....

I'm talking about C3C saves. What's weird, though, is that when attempting to open a save in CAII and select for Vanilla/PTW/C3C, the C3C saves show up under "Vanilla," not C3C, even though they are in C3C and in the correct Saves folder.
But this is exactly the kind of 'confusion' I was talking about. CAII doesn't identify .sav files based on where they're stored, it identifies them according to which type of ruleset-file was used to generate the original map -- .bic for Vanilla, .bix for PtW, or .biq for Conquests -- because that information is stored in the savefile.

So if you start a game using the Vanilla v1.29 (NoCD) executable, then it would have used your civilization3.bic file to generate the map and place the civs, etc. PtW v1.27 (or Conquests v1.22) will then quite happily open a later .sav from that Vanilla-game-in-progress, allow you to play further for as many turns as you choose, and then re-save that game; however, (AFAIK) such 'hybrid' .sav files are not backwards-compatible. So even though you probably wouldn't be able to open your newest PtW/Conquests-generated .sav in Vanilla any more, CAII will continue to 'correctly' identify that .sav as a 'Vanilla' game.

So what I'm wondering here, is whether you've actually started a game from the civ3conquests.exe, saved a couple of turns down the line, and then (while the game is offline) tried to open that 'purebred' Conquests-generated .sav file in CAII?

But this is exactly the kind of 'confusion' I was talking about. CAII doesn't identify .sav files based on where they're stored, it identifies them according to which type of ruleset-file was used to generate the original map -- .bic for Vanilla, .bix for PtW, or .biq for Conquests -- because that information is stored in the savefile.

So if you start a game using the Vanilla v1.29 (NoCD) executable, then it would have used your civilization3.bic file to generate the map and place the civs, etc. PtW v1.27 (or Conquests v1.22) will then quite happily open a later .sav from that Vanilla-game-in-progress, allow you to play further for as many turns as you choose, and then re-save that game; however, (AFAIK) such 'hybrid' .sav files are not backwards-compatible. So even though you probably wouldn't be able to open your newest PtW/Conquests-generated .sav in Vanilla any more, CAII will continue to 'correctly' identify that .sav as a 'Vanilla' game.

So what I'm wondering here, is whether you've actually started a game from the civ3conquests.exe, saved a couple of turns down the line, and then (while the game is offline) tried to open that 'purebred' Conquests-generated .sav file in CAII?
I'm not talking about the Vanilla game I started that we've talked about here, which I found I could open in C3C but chose not to play or save further. I started a whole new game in C3C and have multiple saves* that will not open in CAII at all (unlike the games I started in Vanilla, which do open).

* I was initially trying for a Space Race win (all Scientific civs), but got bored & just conquered the world anyway, which turned out to be absurdly easy. It was a pilot game at Chieftain on a tiny world into C3C to learn about changes. I'll try another for the same purpose, but at Warlord, and see how that goes.

I already found a way how to make CAII work in Win 10 64 bit. None-steam None-GOG.

1. I installed .net 1.1
2. my conquest is in prog86
3. my CAII 2.0.6 is in prog86 too
4. im running conquest in compatibility to win 7
5. im running both files on admin + r.click admin + full controls
6. CAII with errors, but still continue
6.5 put game address, close app, open app again.
7. put game address as blank, you will see that on lookout
8. put game address back, and play
9. thats it, you will have autosave with CAII

dont know which of these solved the problem. you have to do step 6-9 everytime.

took me 4-5 hours to solve this. can someone figure out why this is happening?

I have the GoG version downloaded into a folder outside of the Program Files folder so that MapFinder will work, and it does. I downloaded the .net framework and installed it. I then download CivAssist II, but my Norton's says that 'the .exe file is not safe, and has been removed'. What happened? Is the Civ Assist II file supposed to be inside the game directory? Right now, it's outside the game directory.

I have the GoG version downloaded into a folder outside of the Program Files folder so that MapFinder will work, and it does. I downloaded the .net framework and installed it. I then download CivAssist II, but my Norton's says that 'the .exe file is not safe, and has been removed'. What happened? Is the Civ Assist II file supposed to be inside the game directory? Right now, it's outside the game directory.
My CA II is in Program Files,I have problems just when use non Steam version to see the last save,must to pick it.

Norton's says that 'the .exe file is not safe, and has been removed'. What happened? Is the Civ Assist II file supposed to be inside the game directory? Right now, it's outside the game directory.
Can't you tell Norton to allow it through? The .exe's perfectly safe, just not from 'a recognized source'.

And I have my copy (v.2.0.5083; can't remember offhand which .net framework that one uses) installed in D:\Games\CivAssist\ , and it works just fine from there. Well, apart from Windows 8.1 UAC popping up every time I start it, asking if I'm really really sure I want to run it (I just click 'Yes')...

Can't you tell Norton to allow it through? The .exe's perfectly safe, just not from 'a recognized source'.

Nope. It didn't give me the option, so what I did was to make sure that I was not online, and turned my Norton's off (shudder). I then unzipped CA II without problem, and turned my Norton's back on . . .

. . .and that's when the weirdness started, Now when I go to start CA II, an error window pops up saying this:

------

"Civ Assist has encounter an exception.

To help us diagnose and fix possible bug, please send us saved game file which was loaded
when the problem occured along with the stack trace and exception message.

Please add any other relevant information to the email message."

Then there's a long window which shows the savegame's filepath.

Underneath that are two clicky buttons: One says Send E-mail, the other says Cancel

------

So I'm supposed to e-mail the exception message (which I don't have) and the stack trace (which I have no idea what that is). If I click the 'Send E-mail' button, it says something like 'no e-mail program exists' (or something like that).

Do I have the proper Civ Assist II file, or is there a more current one?

Maybe I'm not starting things in order. I start the game first, and then Civ Assist II, right, or should that be vice-versa?

I'm afraid I can't help with the really tech-y stuff. You would be best off sending a PM to @ainwood directly (if he isn't getting updates on this thread).
I vaguely remember ainwood posting a new(er?) version a couple of months(?) back, that's intended to be Win10-compatible, but I don't (think I) have that one, so I can't say whether it's backwards-compatible or bug-free. I also don't know if that's the one you downloaded, but if you open CAII without opening a save file, you can check your version number via the 'Options/About' button.

As noted above, the version I have (2.0.5083) works on Win8.1, so it should also work on Win7 (which is what you have, right?). So if you do have the Win10-compatible one, you might actually be better off uninstalling it, and DL-ing the older version instead.
Maybe I'm not starting things in order. I start the game first, and then Civ Assist II, right, or should that be vice-versa?
All the above notwithstanding... I do know that this shouldn't matter: you should be able to do it either way.

Spoiler Probably not relevant, but might be nice to know... :
Once C3C is opened, CAII automatically calls up the 'last save made' (that filepath is [also] recorded in your conquests.ini file, although I'm not sure if CAII is getting that info directly from that file, or from the conquests.exe itself). So if you're got several games-in-progress going simultaneously (as I often do), when you start a new play session/ switch between maps, you may want/need to manually tell CAII which (auto)save file it should start looking at (via the 'File' button). You should only need to do this once per map-switch, though; once it knows where to look, it should auto-update each turn thereafter.

Nope. It didn't give me the option, so what I did was to make sure that I was not online, and turned my Norton's off (shudder). I then unzipped CA II without problem, and turned my Norton's back on . . .

. . .and that's when the weirdness started, Now when I go to start CA II, an error window pops up saying this:

------

"Civ Assist has encounter an exception.

To help us diagnose and fix possible bug, please send us saved game file which was loaded
when the problem occured along with the stack trace and exception message.

Please add any other relevant information to the email message."

Then there's a long window which shows the savegame's filepath.

Underneath that are two clicky buttons: One says Send E-mail, the other says Cancel

------

So I'm supposed to e-mail the exception message (which I don't have) and the stack trace (which I have no idea what that is). If I click the 'Send E-mail' button, it says something like 'no e-mail program exists' (or something like that).

But you used first time CA II 'Run as administrator'?.I had more time ago too errors starting the program,I saw a post here about 'run as administrator ',after this no problems.

But you used first time CA II 'Run as administrator'?

Yup, I'm running as Administrator, and the compatibility is set to Win XP Service Pack 3.

As noted above, the version I have (2.0.5083) works on Win8.1, so it should also work on Win7 (which is what you have, right?).

I'm running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, and I have version 2.0.6147 of Civ Assist II.

My version is 2.0.5083,I have too W7 64b,but my CA II is in Program Files,not in Program Files(x86).

In order to get MapFinder to work, I had to download C3C into a folder outside of the Program Files (or Program Files x86) folders. The game is installed at C:\Firaxis\C3C . . .

I'll put the CivAssist II in Program Files and see what happens.

Edit: Nope. I still get the same error message. :confused:

Edit #2: If I put the file in Program Files (x86), I get the following error message:

------

C:\CivAssist II\CivAssist.exe is not a valid win32 application.

------

Last edited:
I do not use MapFinder,just CA II.Try with my old version downloaded some years ago from here installed in Program Files,running first or few times as administrator.

Attachments

• CivAssist_setup.rar
    1.2 MB · Views: 196
Thanks for the file, catalin72. I had to turn Norton's off again for it be successfully unzipped, but it's working now. I remember back in the day that Civ Assist II had an Icon that remained on the game screen while playing. Is there a setting or something that I missed, because it's not there.

Thanks for the file, catalin72. I had to turn Norton's off again for it be successfully unzipped, but it's working now. I remember back in the day that Civ Assist II had an Icon that remained on the game screen while playing. Is there a setting or something that I missed, because it's not there.
You are welcome,I'm glad to know that CA II works.If CA II starts now without errors,other things can be fixed easily,with the help of your friends from here.
I have these 'on' in 'Options/About': 'Automatically show CivAssist when new saved game is open',this maybe will help you,'Show Navigation Bar on Alert Window','Improve Game Activation via Mouse(when CivAssist is active)','Compress archived files','Minimize CivAssist when in the game','Show compressed files in color'.
Others are: 'Shield Forest Color',I have red,'Bonus Grassland Color' I have green,'Game State Check' 20x/s,'Replay interval' 500 ms

Last edited:
Top Bottom