CivAssist II

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Utility Programs' started by ainwood, May 10, 2005.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Archivist, redux Supporter

Well, here's to a hearty Welcome Back for a very helpful ex-lurker :cheers: !

King Bulrush likes this.
  2. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

Adding more info...

I downloaded both versions of Civassist II. Nothing I tried got the newer one (v2.0.6, from 2016) to "see" Civ running.

With the older one, 2.0.5, release date 2006, I installed it, and it could tell that Civ was running. However, trying to load saves (or end the turn in-game) would cause it to crash.

I ended up deleting my Civ VirtualStore directory. Running both Civ and CA as Admin seem to be working ... fingers crossed!

I'm using my old C3C CD version of Civ (with CCM).

templar_x likes this.
  3. Ozymandias

4. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

I love it! :goodjob:

5. Ozymandias

It's from a magnificent photo show / collection called, "Ashes & Snow." Here's my 2nd favorite:

Ashes and Snow #2.jpg

6. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

I miss CA2. Never was able to get it running on my system. :(

templar_x likes this.
  7. SebT27

SebT27 Chieftain

Thank you!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've re-registered on this site (old account was tied to a long-gone email account) just to say that to you. Though no doubt I'll continue to be around on this excellent site...

CivIII is just not the same without CivAssist. I searched for so long trying to figure this problem out, until I found your post. It deserves stickying.

The newer version gave me constant errors like "Parameter path1 cannot be NULL", "Access blocked" when opening a file, and wouldn't work in Lookout mode at all. The "Access blocked" problem was just untraceable: neither Windows logs nor BitDefender (the other possible culprit) had any record of any denied attempted access at the OS/antivirus level.

Now that I've downloaded the old version, I am a happy CIV-er!

CIV and CivAssist installed well outside the Windows or Program Files pain-zone, of course (in fact, on a different drive from the OS).

:)

8. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

I tried it again & no dice. :(

9. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Well, if you really want to get it running, get Windows XP! ;)

10. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I would have like to seen a few of the best programs on this thread have had their source on github. Then maybe someone could be updated to current OS's.

It is a shame that they are not able to be used by so many fans. It would also be an ongoing tribute to all the effort that was put into the apps. It is not like it would hurt Firaxis to have
    some of their stuff out in the world. It is 20 years and 4,5,6 and soon to 7, 4 versions ago.

Once Win11 is forced on us, we may have to get an XP box going. I just don't know where I could fit another PC, now that the boss works from home.

Edit: the last big Win10 update (maybe dec) broke my versions auto update.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  11. King Bulrush

King Bulrush Warlord

Thank you for the kind words. I am honored by them and glad that I could help.
    Happy empire building!

12. SebT27

SebT27 Chieftain

Does anyone know of an updated Help file for CAII?

I've got a bookmark on this web address: gotm.civfanatics.net/civassist/help/introduction.htm

It's slightly annoying, as it opens in a popup and has no browser Back/Forward buttons or navigation buttons on the page. But I can live with that.

It seems to be about a previous version, however. For example, on the Cities view, there's a lot there that's not documented in this Help:
    1. some of the city Sizes are in red, with a *. That seems to apply to 6-towns with no Aqueduct, or 12-cities with no Hospital. But why are metros >12 also showing this * ? A bug?
    2. There's a useful-looking Pollution column - but I can't figure out what it means
    The Territory View help is also outdated. I think the cities listing at the bottom includes sea squares in its "Unimproved" count, but I'm not sure.

I would love to contribute to making CAII even better (can code in VB, also some C#), but AFAIK it's not open source.

13. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

I think the asterisk might actually be a tag for "Wasting food".

So it not only applies to Pop6 Towns and Pop12 Cities which currently lack a Duct/Hospital, but are nonetheless harvesting net-positive food, but also to Metros harvesting a net food amount which will exceed the food-box storage capacity.
    Once towns contain population points above the Size-2 cap (=Pop12 in the epic game), or pollution-generating buildings, the in-game city-screen will start showing pollution-icons (1 icon per pop-point over Pop12; building-pollution is based on the .biq-setting for that building, e.g. Factories add 2 icons).

The "Pollution" column in CAII (presumably) shows total-pollution-icon data for each town.

14. dalvbage

dalvbage Chieftain

This didn't work for me. Still got the "access is blocked" errors.
    However, using compability mode fixed it!
    Thanks for getting me 90% there :thumbsup:

For others trying to get it working (some steps may or may not be necessary):
    -Follow the above instructions.
    -Create a shortcut to the civ .exe (I've only tried with conquests) and the civassist .exe.
    -With both shortcuts: Preferences -> advanced -> run as administrator. And: preferences -> compability -> run in compability mode for Windows XP service pack 3.
    -Both civ and civassist are installed outside of ProgramFiles.

King Bulrush likes this.
  15. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Tried it all again, still get "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application...." :(

16. dalvbage

dalvbage Chieftain

I think I've only had that error when I tried using the newer version (from 2016 if I remember correctly).
    I've only been able to get the older version working.

I may be wrong, but that sounds like it could be a .NET-related issue.
    Have you tried reinstalling the .NET-runtime framework, and/or make sure you have the correct version?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  17. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Not recently, but I did it a couple times with no result. I might have the newer version, but I don't think so.

18. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Playing Civ3 Complete via Steam on my new computer. Win 11 so I figured what chance of this working?
    The newer .net 4 version didn't work at all.
    Surprise, installed the older version and the .net 3.5 that it asks for when run, which is the most recent compatible version, and it worked straight off.

You do need to go out of your way to get the old version, when I tried to download the old one without jumping to the versions tab it gave me the new one.