Civic Idea: Oppression

Thunder GR said earlier :

Well, why do I get the feeling this discussion is shifting out of topic?

Ok, I am trying to stay in the topic.

Here is WarKirby's suggestion:

Oppression civic
1. No unhappiness in all cities
2. -20 :commerce:% in all cities
3. -20 :hammers:% in all cities
4. -80 :gp:% in all cities
5. All cities have a small chance to revolt each turn
6. Allows Suppress Revolt ability
7. Using this civic will modify your alignment by -200

My opinion is: this is cool. I agree, but I think some changes are needed. For example, -20 :commerce: is a severe penalty. So I suggest:

- Either a requisition ability
Requisition (can only be cast in cities)
- -1 pop in <City>
- Recieve 10 :gold: per pop in the city.
- The unit gains 1 XP
- +10% chance of revolt for 5 turns.
- -10% for 5 turns.

This ability should balance the lack of :commerce:.

- or -50 :culture: instead of -20 :commerce:

A Suppress Revolt ability. Useable by any military unit currently standing in a city in anarchy. It would have several effects.

1. The anarchy would end immediately.
2. All units in the city would take a random amount of damage, relative to the number of them, versus the city's size. From fighting against the rebelling peasants. This damage could cause death. If all units in the city die, the anarchy does not end, and instead continues in the now unguarded city.
3. the city's population drops by a random percentage, from 10-60%, rounded down. Minimum of 1 pop loss. Size 1 cities will be razed.
4. +1 to the Armageddon Counter
5. -20 to the civ's alignment.

The units should gain some XPs, it's like they fight.

Killing a bunch of revoltee should provide even less XP than killing barbs...

And you propose to replace a penalty (-20%commerce) by a bonus (requisition), it doesn't make sense. I still think oppression should have more drawbacks than advantage, as it is supposed to be temporary.

Killing a bunch of revoltee should provide even less XP than killing barbs...

1 XP at least.

And you propose to replace a penalty (-20%commerce) by a bonus (requisition), it doesn't make sense.

Requisition doesn't replace the penalty. You have the penalty and the ability at the same time.

It is a good idea, it just needs lots of balancing..I would prefer having the mechanics on hand, play it a bit, and see where it needs corrections.

Top Bottom