Civic Religious Freedom Disables Inquisitions..?

Iceciro

Special Ability: Decimate
This makes sense for secular, but Atheist? I mean, it seems odd there's no way to recreate the sort of religious oppression that was evident in say, the USSR - to be honest, I feel like I should be able to build Inquisitor-like units for the Atheistic civic, too - considering religion gives maluses with the Atheist civic, it would be nice to try to bring a nation around to the "religion is the opiate of the people" outlook, or what have you.

Also, Intolerant and Atheist don't seem to have any relations penalties for civs with other religious outlooks - and probably should.

Intolerant could increase the penalty from having a different state religion (bonus for same religion maybe?), and atheist just give a penalty with anyone who has a state religion.

Intolerant could increase the penalty from having a different state religion (bonus for same religion maybe?), and atheist just give a penalty with anyone who has a state religion.

An Atheist society would be at odds with even a secular one.

I disagree. I'm an atheist, and I have no problem with a secular state.

No, individuals wouldn't but look at the Soviet Union or the Khmer Rouge (sic?). An Atheist society, so far in history, wouldn't like secularism either. The reason is because most Atheist states in history did it to weaken the influence of church leaders inside their country.

I'm not saying that an Atheist is bad but if a country is forcing Atheism in the first place, its doing it for power reasons and a secular nation which usually has at least one major religion or is very diverse, isn't going to like the idea of that.

Then again, the diplo penalty wouldn't be as high between a secular-atheist nation then it would be between an Intolerant-Atheist nation.

I was under the impression those nations opposed all religion mostly because of their Marxist views.

Compromise: Maybe a -1 penalty between secular/atheist, -3 for any civ with a state religion, and -5 between atheist/intolerant?

I was under the impression those nations opposed all religion mostly because of their Marxist views.

Compromise: Maybe a -1 penalty between secular/atheist, -3 for any civ with a state religion, and -5 between atheist/intolerant?

Maybe it's a Marxist view but it wasn't long until somebody realize that by denying power to any church, you empower the state and weaken a potential rival faction.

-5 for Divine Cult as well.

An Atheist society would be at odds with even a secular one.

I agree.
A secular state is one where religion is separated from government but tolerated.
An atheist state would ban all religion, and by definition be intolerant.

Thus, Inquisitors should be enabled with Atheism.

Top Bottom