1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CivII and Vista

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by ElephantU, Jan 29, 2007.

1. mardukes

mardukes Chieftain

It seems the only way to launch it is to "open as administrator." The shortcut doesn't work. I installed it as normal then ran the WinG.

It does work that way, though.

2. Reduak

Reduak Chieftain

Unfortunately for me, running as administrator does nothing. It's one of many things I saw to try while lurking around here. I've tried it to no avail. I've also tried to change the settings so it runs under all the other versions of windows (Win 95, Win 98, etc)

3. Lord Underpants

Lord Underpants Chieftain

Has anyone succesfully seen the videos in MGE after installing Chronicles on Vista? 2K support keeps giving me the cold shoulder. This problem is mentioned in the readme file but their solution hasn't worked for me. I'm not particularly techno savvy. The main reason I purchased chronicles was nostalgia for high consul! I appreciate any tips people have. The other threads don't seem to address this particular issue directly. Ironically, the music works fine for me with no tinkering.

4. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

5. Reduak

Reduak Chieftain

Thanks! I was able to follow that thread to get the a driver from Indeo, and I loaded my Civ II Scenarios disk, and somehow between the two, I'm up and running.

I've even got the High Council videos, so bring on Elvis!!!

6. Lord Underpants

I bit the bullet and payed the $15 for Indeo drivers, and I can now get advice from the gorgeous foreign minister in Civ2MGE. Now that I've spent way to money to play a fairly old game, I guess I really am a "Civ Fanatic".

7. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

They're available for free as well, though... Though I suppose that's actually illegal.

8. Lord Underpants

The links to free downloads I tried were all broken.

9. Reduak

Reduak Chieftain

LOL She always reminds me of Elaine from Seinfeld

10. mardukes

mardukes Chieftain

two things

the autosave is fine but the autosave2 doesn't seem to work

when clicking help in the "select" window it errors out about missing GET_INFO.REC. this used to work.

I found something called compatibility level. I set CIV2 and GET_INFO.EXE to Win2000 compatibility and launch as admin. Likely you are using an admin account, but I play under a user account.

11. Dark Dwarf

Dark Dwarf Chieftain

I also have a 32 bit version of Vista and when i try to install the game it does EXCATLY the same thing it did when you tried to install. The same errors and stuff. I also followed up on that forum about the Indeo drivers but it seems that they want money for the drivers now. Got any ideas how to solve my problem?

Strange, the game is so old yet it still is my favourite game. It'd be a shame if i couldn't play it on vista. It worked ok on my old pc which ran XP.

12. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

13. Dark Dwarf

Dark Dwarf Chieftain

14. bluemarvin101

bluemarvin101 Chieftain

Same problem as randomdan on this thread earlier this year - just won't install.

Anyone got any advice (or pointers to other threads?)

Any help gratefully received - I may resort to a virtual machine copy from my old PC - or should I just buy a later version of Civ 2? (and if so, which?).

cheers,

15. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

What's on your Civ2 CD? My original Civ2 CD has a setup program and 3 folders: CIV2, VFW_INST and WING. What happens if you try to run Civ2 straight from the Civ2 folder on the CD?

16. Valtoras

Valtoras Chieftain

I am having the exact same problem as this but have still not found a solution. My Civ2 box is getting lonely and feels unwanted, does anyone know how I can get round this problem?

17. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

Install XP.

18. bluemarvin101

bluemarvin101 Chieftain

thanks for that - I get the same message that randomdan quoted

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

Anything else I can try?

19. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

That sounds like you have a 64-bit OS. The original Civ2 is 16-bit so that won't work. It should work perfectly in a virtual machine, though. Microsoft Virtual PC is a free download, for example... You'd still need to have an old copy of Windows XP or something lying around.

20. Cutler

Cutler Chieftain

hey I have Ultimate Civ II, not sure what version, but i got the 64bit patch for vista, and can start the game and start playing but as soon as i want to build a city the game stops running and closes down..... any advice?