Civilization 2 downloads area issues and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my script running yesterday evening, and yes, some of these I noticed (missing files; scenario league webpages), some of them not (external pages not existing).
I got 248 out of 279 scenarios, will screen them for the version in the coming days.
I'll also have a look for what is missing, and then put out a list somewhere, maybe some of you might have copies of the files which are not anymore there.

Blake said:
Eg on a few occasions I've accidentally uploaded a file under the wrong sub category (eg a modpack in the scenario area or visa versa, or a scifi scenario in the regular scenario area outside of the scifi area etc) and I can see others have accidentally done this too over the years. I looked for options to move my accidents to their correct sub category or to even fully delete their resource page so I could start over again in the right section but had no luck finding any options for either.
Are you not able to click "Edit Resource" and change the resource category? You should be able to do that for the ones you uploaded yourself.

Capture.PNG

There's also quite a number of older downloads with dead external links posted by users long gone from CFC that I actually have a working file for but I can't find any options to fix or update them. Although I'm guessing that's not possible since that feature could be abused.

So if other peoples dead items can't be updated then that begs the question of is it okay to create duplicate content in there? Especially when it was the scenarios creator that make the original dead entry? I can see some other duplicate content in there (same scenario listed twice by different people) so I kinda feel like I'm adding to the problem if I do that, yet a dead download is a dead download and people can't get the scenario unless its added again or the original can be modified.

What's the standard procedure around here for problems like these? Wanna make sure I do the right thing by this site and it's rules.
I could create a new user group called Resources Moderator that has special powers such as editing resources uploaded by other people, re-assign a resource to yourself for editing, etc.
If that would help you with your preservation work, I am certainly more than happy to make you a member of that group. :)[/quote][/quote]

Are you not able to click "Edit Resource" and change the resource category? You should be able to do that for the ones you uploaded yourself.

Hi Thunderfall! I certainly do have the 'Edit Resource' link as I've been using a whole lot of that lately fine tuning my new downloads. However once in the edit resource screen there is no option to change the resource category for my downloads, just lots of text editing fields. This is what I see in there when editing one of my downloads:

upload_2021-7-3_14-12-10.png

upload_2021-7-3_14-12-45.png

I could create a new user group called Resources Moderator that has special powers such as editing resources uploaded by other people, re-assign a resource to yourself for editing, etc.
If that would help you with your preservation work, I am certainly more than happy to make you a member of that group. :)

Oh wow, that would be spectacular! :) That would allow me to fix heaps of the duplication and dead link issues separate from the ToT vs MGE issue The J is helping me on. Once things are cleaned up and categorised I'd be more than happy to curate and keep the area in order in the future too. At some point once I'm done with my Civ2 preservation work I'll be moving on to Civ3 (which I've already rescued quite a bit of stuff for too) so would be happy to take a stab at that section one day too! Then Civ4 etc in the future.. see how things go haha!
Also I'm happy to supply you with a link list of forums and social media groups I'm either an admin or a moderator on should wish to 'vet me' before giving such access. :)

We might indeed need some restructuring.
I will check all the files on Saturday evening, and then think about what might be necessary.

No worries mate, I might take a bit of a break from uploading new files as me creating new downloads every day probably isn't helping your work haha! Although I'm more than happy to manually move my downloads in the correct categories if Thunderfall if the move option becomes available. All my stuff has 'OCD level' title labeling lol so no investigation is required to figure out whether they're ToT or MGE.
Just noticed you're no longer an ex-mod?? Welcome back to the party lol! I didn't even know 'Super Moderator' was thing under I was made one on a Starflight forum a few years back and saw all the lovely extra options haha.

Last edited:
Overview: Very well balanced ^^.
248 scenarions downloaded.
120 versoin 32, 1 version 31 = 121 ToT
25 version 27, 56 version 28, 37 version 2C = 118 MGE (right, these are compatible in each way, or not?)
9 could not automatically be determined.

I'll open a thread in the Civ2 modding forums for further discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom