Civilization 5 and Steam(works)

How will the integration of Steam(works) influence your decision on buying Civ5?

• I will probably buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to buy it.

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • I will probably buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

Votes: 93 14.0%
  • I will probably buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it.

Votes: 94 14.1%
  • I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to do so.

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to do so.

Votes: 48 7.2%
  • I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to buy it.

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it.

Votes: 27 4.1%
  • I will definitely NOT buy the game, because of Steam.

Votes: 103 15.5%
  • I will definitely NOT buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision.

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • I will definitely buy the game, because of Steam.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • I will definitely buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision.

Votes: 196 29.4%

• Total voters
As it has been explained and proved numerous time on other threads (where you even posted), here it is again! Now please stop spreading false information.

Yes that stops it automatically downloading, but steam wont let you play the game without downloading the patch.

Plus steam updates itself automatically, and they can often be quite big.

There have also been frequent reports that for whatever reason the instruction to a game not to automatically update does not "stick". I haven't had this happen myself but many steam users have reported this problem. It's probably restricted to only a few games though.

I voted: I will definitely NOT buy the game, because of Steam.

Simply because the more you let them tighten the grip, the more they will.

It's a rather simple concept, but let me explain. If a company has a monopoly, then they have no reason to further expand and/or better their product. Whereas if they have competitors, they must expand and better their product if they want to succeed and/or stay in business.

In other words, if you want the best products, then you want there to be competition.

Im a potential competitor with steam I just have not released any product yet. If a company that operates fairly has a monopoly then if anything their competitors must be encouraged not vice versa lol. If youre suggesting that punishing ppl who succeed is acceptable then youre justifying the terrorist attacks of 9/11, when in fact it seems clear that thousands of ppl did not deserve to die in those atrocities.

Steam is a good product imo long live steam :bowdown:

Moderator Action: Please don't troll
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I voted: I will definitely NOT buy the game, because of Steam.

Simply because the more you let them tighten the grip, the more they will.
Steam causes some people to buy the game, some people to not buy the game. Overall the gaming buisness is booming. Game companies have a tight grip already, and they are not letting go no matter what you do.

I voted again, this time for getting the game, decision is unaffected by steam.

Im a potential competitor with steam I just have not released any product yet. If a company that operates fairly has a monopoly then if anything their competitors must be encouraged not vice versa lol. If youre suggesting that punishing ppl who succeed is acceptable then youre justifying the terrorist attacks of 9/11, when in fact it seems clear that thousands of ppl did not deserve to die in those atrocities.

Steam is a good product imo long live steam :bowdown:

Congratulations sir, you just redrew the boundaries!

@ pieceofmind.
I was just looking at steam, and the prices were 49.99 and 59.99 deluxe. Am I missing something? Do you pay that for preorder, then pay again for the game? Im being serious too, because 100 dollars for a game is waaaayyyy to much.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50100/

Peiceofmind quote:
For the record, I said I'm undecided for this poll, and that Steam is making me less likely to buy it. For a start, the price on Steam is 80USD, 90USD for the deluxe edition. I've never bought a game that expensive at release so I'm going to have to learn how awesome a game it is before I even consider ordering it.

I assumed you werent, but when you wrote usd I then assumed you were.... I wasnt aware steam only sold in usd, but thanks.

Btw people, such as me, who see 90usd may assume your from the us. I was shocked at the price, hence the post for clarity. Thanks for the swift reply.

If I may ask, where are you located, or perhaps what general area? I only ask because of the price variation, and seeing its a dl, that seems steep. I could maybe see the higher price due to importing boxes of games, but just signals through wires shouldnt make it more or less for anyone because where you live. Im assuming australia?

I assumed you werent, but when you wrote usd I then assumed you were.... I wasnt aware steam only sold in usd, but thanks.

Btw people, such as me, who see 90usd may assume your from the us. I was shocked at the price, hence the post for clarity. Thanks for the swift reply.

If I may ask, where are you located, or perhaps what general area? I only ask because of the price variation, and seeing its a dl, that seems steep. I could maybe see the higher price due to importing boxes of games, but just signals through wires shouldnt make it more or less for anyone because where you live. Im assuming australia?

Yes, I think New Zealand has the same too, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The fact it's in USD means we also have to deal with the fees (if applicable) associated with converting currency. In the end, using something like paypal, buying the DE would cost about double what I paid for Civ4. It's a very expensive pre-order to make here. I've made the comment before but short of one game (I think it was MW2) Civ5 is the most expensive game on Steam at the moment. As I said, unless I found out how awesome the game is going to be, there's no way I'm putting that much money down on what could still be a dud.

EDIT... Also, if I recall, the prices for Civ4 and BtS were much more in line with the American prices when they were released. I don't see any real reason why we have to pay so much more nowadays. The publisher is responsible for this (setting the prices) I'm told, so it's not an issue with Steam.

I'm not sure whether this is a weak attempt at humour, but that's a pretty sick straw man. For all we know Methos may have lost friends/family in those atrocities.

Add myself to the list of people who won't support products that come with mandatory intrusive software. This won't be the first time I've been forced to neglect a product due to questionable decision making by the publishers, but standing firm is the only way to go. There are plenty of good games out there that don't demand intrusive software to be installed, and they deserve to be supported. Hats off to those who stand by their principles, if enough people did the pc gaming industry wouldn't find itself in it's current dire state.

Well I wouldn't buy Civ5 specifically BECAUSE of Steam, because I was going to buy it anyway.

But it is a nice bonus. Steam is the future of PC gaming, and I buy pretty much all my games through that platform nowadays. (I do have glassfiber internet so it's really convenient)

I will definately buy the game, can't imagine myself not playing Civ V! I agree with some critics on steam, but, my love for Civ is bigger, and will make me ignore that :p!

I know nothing about Steam. I have never used it. I would buy Civ V because I love Civ and have been playing since the very beginning.
I don't like what I am reading about Steam... and I am hoping someone will come up with a workaround...
Should I not hold my breath?

Civ V was on my "buy blindly" list, as every other game of the serie has been since the first.
Civ V will also be the first game of the serie I will NOT buy. Entirely because of Steam.

I want to own my game, and I want them to do the strict minimum necessary to run. Steam adds both a required third-party activation, and the need to have an additionnal service running. I don't want both, and I don't see why I should pay for this.
Fireaxis lost a very long-time consumer the day they decided to jump the shark.

Well I wouldn't buy Civ5 specifically BECAUSE of Steam, because I was going to buy it anyway.

But it is a nice bonus. Steam is the future of PC gaming, and I buy pretty much all my games through that platform nowadays. (I do have glassfiber internet so it's really convenient)

That's the comment I don't like. Steam isn't the future, because if it is, I won't be part of it, and there's enough others like me that a market will form around is.

A Steam monopoly would also put all the negatives of the consoles onto PCs.

Civ V was on my "buy blindly" list, as every other game of the serie has been since the first.
Civ V will also be the first game of the serie I will NOT buy. Entirely because of Steam.

Same here. The whole Steam business caught me like a sucker-punch; I so expected nothing would stop me from purchasing.

I want to own my game

Exactly. I don't want to have to depend on anyone else to use a product as I see fit once I've purchased it. It's fine if it requires other products to function, but it's not fine if it actually requires some ongoing relationship with someone else to install and uninstall and whatnot.

Even so, I'd still go for it at a very very cheap rate (only because it's civ) and tell myself it's like a lease or rental. Maybe $20. But no. Now that they've got digital distribution, decreased piracy, and other major cost-cutting measures do they pass along the savings? Hell no!!! They want MORE money. So we're finally up to $100 for a video game ...

One wonders how developers ever managed, when they used to have practically no DRM and all versions were sold on physical media complete with an actual hardcopy manual. Plus a much smaller market, raising per-unit costs considerably.

Ever get the feeling we're being cheated and taken for a ride?

Top Bottom