Civilization 5 Multiplayer Preview

Thanks Azazell. Full of information as always. :)

Shacknews put their article up too early, so I'd imagine that's why it's gone now. You should see many articles on multiplayer over the next few days, starting at 10AM PST tomorrow. :)

Also, sounds like the guy at Shacknews hasn't even played a multiplayer game of Civ4 in his life. It's as if simu-turns are completely new to him. :p

Good to hear, I'm looking forward to them :p

CS

if he thinks processing turn data takes time, what does he think having separate turns for each player will do to the length of a game? :-/

This is why I almost never played any multiplayer with Civilization 4. I hate using the ST system since I want to spend time carefully making my decisions and not rush my plans. This is something that can take long enough if you are playing a LAN game with another person and I can't even be bothered to do it with dozen ones.

This is why I almost never played any multiplayer with Civilization 4. I hate using the ST system since I want to spend time carefully making my decisions and not rush my plans. This is something that can take long enough if you are playing a LAN game with another person and I can't even be bothered to do it with dozen ones.

Well that is what make good MP players good, they can do that strategic and tactical thinking on the fly. No one has time to take 10hours on a week night to play a MP game, so games have to fit in a 2-4 hour range and therefore for those of us that enjoy playing other humans in our free time, Simu turns is a must.

And I did play true turn based MP way back in Civ2 before they patched it to include Simu turns, and waiting for 5 other players to take their turns every turn of the game truely sucks....

CS

Oh, OH! What happens if the timer ends and you have two units in the same hex? Inquiring minds are hard at work in thinking how the game can be broken.

Somewhere a wormhole between two sets of temporal coordinates remains open just a bit too long and exponentially amplifies latent radiation from the surrounding space. The universe then ends weeping over the violation of 1UPT and other unbreakable natural laws.

Somewhere a wormhole between two sets of temporal coordinates remains open just a bit too long and exponentially amplifies latent radiation from the surrounding space. The universe then ends weeping over the violation of 1UPT and other unbreakable natural laws.

:spear:

2k needs to answer please.

Because if the turn cannot be completed even if the timer runs out because of 1upt violation, then some poopy_person can stall MP game this way forever!...

2k needs to answer please.

Because if the turn cannot be completed even if the timer runs out because of 1upt violation, then some poopy_person can stall MP game this way forever!...

I'm sure they won't let that happen and if the turn ends the game will decide were the units goes or disbanded at last resort.

CS

*sigh* while I appreciate some news on MP, I would hardly call this much at all. It reads more like "My first TBS multiplayer game 101" than any kind of in-dept analysis. Much of the concerns are likely chalked up to host settings, which we get very little detail on. There's nothing about pitboss or pbm etc. I really wouldn't jump to any conclusions about MP based on this article.

*sigh* while I appreciate some news on MP, I would hardly call this much at all. It reads more like "My first TBS multiplayer game 101" than any kind of in-dept analysis. Much of the concerns are likely chalked up to host settings, which we get very little detail on. There's nothing about pitboss or pbm etc. I really wouldn't jump to any conclusions about MP based on this article.

I agree the actual MP coverage was non-existant, all they stated is how much they sucked at MP. There were definitely not experienced MP players with any previous version of Civ.

I'm hoping other mags do a much better job than this.

CS

is it possible to safe a multiplayer game and continue the other day with your friends?

Top Bottom