Civilization 5

It's called a metaphor. If you can't handle those, let me put it another way; real history is no challenge because you already know what happened and how.

The challenge in playing Civ is not knowing what is going to happen but having a reference of real history as a guide.

I think you are privileging what actually happened unreasonably much, here. History's a long chain of accidents and consequences.

History is a long chain of successions and rewards.

What it's about. fwiw, is how the circumstances around a civilisation's starting point, in terms of resources and geography and so forth, affect that civilisation's growth and development. very much worth reading and thinking about in terms of how the range of variation in Civ works and how it could be improved.

Ethnic variation and language of the various civilization superorganisms and the way they interact is a worthwhile book to read. Especially if it's published in grammar that is not latin based such as Arabic or Chinese.

Ethnic variation and language of the various civilization superorganisms and the way they interact is a worthwhile book to read. Especially if it's published in grammar that is not latin based such as Arabic or Chinese.

exactly. i mean, Europeans didn't hate the muslims just because of their religion, but they were completely different in almost every way. All i call for is this to happen. i want civs who are near each other to have the same sort of society set-up that builds a relationship to people.

Would really like to see a way to shape your civ and its people depending on how you play. Instead of just starting out with a leader and a civ with all the bonuses and specialties set firm, it would be really cool if at least one of those things, or perhaps even a completely third thing was given depending on your game style.

For example if you war more than your build you would be given the aggressive characteristic, if you build wonders you get industrial, if you focus on economy you get financial and so on. They could then be updated, say every 100 turn (depending on game speed), representing change in your civ as it evolves. Perhaps it shouldn't be the leaders characteristics that should change but rather some bonus your civ get. In so keeping all the uniqueness of civ 4 and adding some changing bonus depending on your play style.

As it is now it does seem rather odd that a people cannot change their ways, they are stuck in the same "traditions" throughout roughly 6k years.

Dude Civ V is LONG overdue and they should totally have a more in depth millitary strategy sceen. Also, more economey options would be nice.:scan:

To peepz who want tactical-operational military bits as opposed to the current grand-strategic style: Go back to your RTSes and RTTs! Civ games take long enough as they do.

Why not have a bit of a mix of both, with military tactics being more optional. For instance, for one battle you might say, 'Oh, I'll just let it go as it used to', and for another, you might say, 'I'm going to take charge of this one.'

The challenge in playing Civ is not knowing what is going to happen but having a reference of real history as a guide.

So the game is better the better it fits real history ? That's hardly a game at all. You might as well just be watching a simulation of history.

To peepz who want tactical-operational military bits as opposed to the current grand-strategic style: Go back to your RTSes and RTTs! Civ games take long enough as they do.

Um, no.

I very much don't want tactical military ops, but Civ games in general don't take long enough; I am particularly worried that the Civ Rev notion that you should be able to play a Civ game in a few hours will be taken onboard in Civ 5. I want a more detailed, longer, more complex historical/technical development game that supports individual games of hundreds of hours, without needing to be set on a gigantic map.

So the game is better the better it fits real history ? That's hardly a game at all. You might as well just be watching a simulation of history.

The game is better if there is a reference to history. Learning history & being entertained is a game that Civ is. Why watch a simulation of history when you can play it.

I agree with the barbarians as an alternative uprising event. I would like to see more frequent random events as well. Also, more cold war features within the game to reflect modern times. Cyber attacks, cell phone tech, airplane drones like predator that hover above areas giving real time views and the capability to fire missles that will actually destroy a target as opposed to just damage it.

This would be good, but other ancient, or medieval details would also have to be added. I mean, at the moment, there is just as many types of knights as ICBMs, despite both having a very wide range, knights probably more so.

i think more specialization is needed. Espionage is great but we need more of one civ tuning into the inner workings of the other civ. I've also been thinking of a new title program. Say you are running hereditary rule. You divide your empire into Kingdoms. You are then king of each one of those kingdoms, and your title would be King of York, which would be York and all the land with only culture from york in it. You can trade these titles to stop war or in normal treaty, and you can edit your kingdoms so multiple cities are in each one. You can also do other things, such as states or territories, or even colonies. I would like to see more in depth features for each time period, not justs units but the peoples intellect should change as well. Like, in the ancient age your people like war alot, then in the classical age an appretiation of the arts takes route, while the medieval age people tend to be much more religious and much more warlike. Then, peoples in the Renaisance prefer the arts again along with discovery and trade. The Industrial Revolution gets people thinking that there is a major difference between the classes, while in nations where the wealth is more spread out and not just in certain areas it really won't be much of a problem. In the modern and future ages, people tend to prefer democracies and freedoms as opposed to dictatorships and governments that are aligned along democracies are willing to take out freedom oppressing nations. We also need more events more often. I mean, stuff happens all the time and it always has. I also want to see the rise of some nations and the failure of others. I hate having a game where china gets a few lucky events or just a good goody hut win, they shouldn't be at the top for the entire game. Civs should have to mantain a thriving civilization throughout time. I generally prefer games where i set everything up for a late game rush. I just think things need to be more dynamic and not so strait lined.

Like, in the ancient age your people like war alot
Axe rush.
medieval age people tend to be much more religious and much more warlike
Temples and trebuchets.
peoples in the Renaisance prefer the arts again along with discovery and trade
Drama and Astronomy.
The Industrial Revolution gets people thinking that there is a major difference between the classes
Communism, but yeah it should have some penalties.
modern and future ages, people tend to prefer democracies and freedoms
Emancipation.

The game is better if there is a reference to history. Learning history & being entertained is a game that Civ is.

Even if one isn;t familiar with the history that the game covers, one will become so after playing it for a while; should it stop being interesting at that point ?

Why watch a simulation of history when you can play it.

You're asking for two incompatible things here, IMO. You can have history, which works out the way it actally did; or you can have something you can play that changes depending on what you do. Both at once is contradictory, no ?

Um, no.

I very much don't want tactical military ops, but Civ games in general don't take long enough; I am particularly worried that the Civ Rev notion that you should be able to play a Civ game in a few hours will be taken onboard in Civ 5. I want a more detailed, longer, more complex historical/technical development game that supports individual games of hundreds of hours, without needing to be set on a gigantic map.

From what I have read, most people want more of something in Civ 5 and understandably so. What I don't think some, but not all, people realize is that the company that makes Civ is first and foremost a business. Imo I don't believe that the hardcore players are a large enough group to carry the francise financially. So what they (the company) must do to remain competitive is make the game easy enough to attract new players, which equals increased sales, while at the same time making the game satifying enough to the "CivFanatics". My suggestion is to make a pregame option that allows players to choose between an easy and advanced mode. Easy could be more streamlined like CivRev, and thus easier for new players to figure out right out of the box. Then there would be Advanced mode for the hardcore players who enjoy all the convoluted minutiae, myself being one of them. Just an idea.

From what I have read, most people want more of something in Civ 5 and understandably so. What I don't think some, but not all, people realize is that the company that makes Civ is first and foremost a business. Imo I don't believe that the hardcore players are a large enough group to carry the francise financially. So what they (the company) must do to remain competitive is make the game easy enough to attract new players, which equals increased sales, while at the same time making the game satifying enough to the "CivFanatics".

I would argue that the people who want simple quick easy-to-pick-up games are the market that Civ Rev serves, and the people who want deep complex strategy games are a different section of the market, and that there's only so far you can stretch to satisfy both at once; were I Firaxis I would port Civ Rev to the PC asap and focus Civ 5 on the deeper strategy.

Top Bottom