Civilization 5

Something I miss is the possibility to make an improvement plan, which automated workers would follow.

I think you can do this (although I've never tried) by holding done a particular key will clicking on numerous tasks for a worker to complete.

Holding SHIFT will allow you to queue up orders for the selected unit/stack. As you said, it doesn't create a central work queue that all workers pull from; that would be awesome. We've discussed it for BUG, but it would be a serious amount of work.

It should also be possible to make a city placement plan.

The latest version of BUG has a Dot Mapping tool that allows you to plan where you want to place your cities. See the Download thread in that forum for instructions on getting and installing BUG.

Sure you can queue activities (holding shift), but that is not the same as planning. When you queue activities, you still have to micromanage each individual worker at some point.

When you plan, you create a complete picture of the end-state. Then you have the choice to manually manage the workforce in executing the plan, or leave it up to them.

In addition, a plan may contain elements which are not yet availbable, such as shifting mines to windmills as soon as they become available, where the prioritized roads and railroads should go, etc. Pre-chop should also be a worker action.

fair warning. lots here. i'll break it into a couple of posts. some of it taking flight. :)

great discussion. lots of ideas that i like, some i don't.

of course we have in general 2 factions :) those who want more detail, control, micro-management, game play complexity, a realistic simulation, and those who don't. we argue about what makes it a playable, enjoyable game. but if you look at all the posts you find that everyone wants more or less control over certain aspects that are important to them. i mean some people may want to play only as if they were the top ruler, some people may want to have experiences on all different levels of command and government and etc. i for one like doing a wide variety of things, and enjoy games that take months to play a couple of hours at a time (of course i don't play every day, or even close).

there are ways in coding to make many ideas optional, so you can tailor the game to the wants/need you have at the time. of course that does makes the programming more complicated, and the code much larger, and takes more time to code. besides, for many things that the game takes care of automatically, the programmers still have to code for, so why not take advantage of that and expand it the bit that it needs for the people who want to do it themselves.

for me one of the potential aspects of playing civ is to give myself a way of seeing and exploring other ideas beyond what we usually conceive. we all are so used to what we live and what we are taught, that it is difficult to imagine what other possibilities could truly exist for our world, and i'd like to find some way to at least play with that. we too often are bound to concepts by the words we use, the definitions we give them, the labels we put on things. instead of using these labels, lets have more description of concepts and separate control to make our own perhaps never before experienced, concept combinations. i mean look at star trek, there is something like an egalitarian money-free society. it is not a far fetched fiction only concept, as any one who studies broadly knows.

but how could we make that far departure actually something we can play with? how would things work differently if this modern world were pantheistic instead of vying monotheists? religious effects are not neccessarily based on time are they? maybe uncertainty about providing for oneself and safety and happiness and fear, and answers to how the world works is more important. but we do have many scientists who are also religious or something. were polytheistic cultures more tolerant of other religions than are monotheistic? is there a way to choose what is acceptable in a culture? who/what is tolerated and persecuted, legal, etc, and how does that effect the effectiveness of a society? things like religious freedom, sexuality, drugs, slavery, women in the military, patriarchy vs matriarchy, what have you. is service in the military compulsory, is there a standing army, or just militia when needed? i mean imagine how the usa would be different if we did that like some other nations have?

another point is that the more the game has the longer it will remain interesting. and i do want more customization of units, buildings, etc, to reflect the nation i'm playing.

i think we all agree that we could do without all the crappy ai cheats and etc...

has everyone checked out the call to power offshoots of civilization? they had some neat departures and different ideas for how the game should run, and i think some of what was in them came up in civ3 and civ4, and some did not. if you have not looked at them then check them out.
some of their ideas were colonization underwater, taking the game further into the space race, futuristic combat and buildings for later into the game, it takes a sci-fi like approach once you surpass current levels, and different approaches to religion and politics.
for those of you who are interested in writing your own civ game... call to power 2 was open sourced and there is a pretty good community in active coding and modding for it. some things from civ3 and civ4 were added to it also. so instead of writing your own entirely from scratch you might look into your own version of ctp2.
of course if you really want to market your work then you couldn't just reprogram their code. but you could look at it to get an idea of how you might go about doing your own.
and brink back stuff from civ2 that got tossed.

have any of you heard of cellular automata? it is a programming/math concept where extremely simple rules lead to complex behaviour, also called emergent, that is very indicative of biological and higher level patterns that are observed in nature. the behaviours vary with changing conditions. it is evolutionary in a sense. i've always wondered if that could be used as a basis for the ai coding to create a simulation world that could really mimic behaviours that we experience in the real world. this may be a way to get around the computer only doing what it was programmed to do, or at least seeming it is doing things other than what it was specifically programmed to take into account. and one of my flights of fancy is that maybe it would be more of a real simulation that could be used like a training program for world leaders. they could use some help and other ideas i think. :) but i've never come across anyone trying to use cellular automata in any way like this. it's all still been academic or whatever the word is i'm looking for.

i'd like to see more environmental effects on cities and troops and etc... as well as natural disasters, epidemics. i mean look at the issues we face currently as our population exceeds 6 billion and we are concerned about resources. overfishing, rivers that no longer reach their destinations because we drain them off for out use, etc... whether or not the fears are true, they effect decision making and actions.

and a round world.

and as the city grows in population, etc, it should also physically grow, to take over more land which would otherwise be used for resources but now has to accommodate expansion.

i want more ways to be successful with a civ than just conquering the world by force. in real life, of course it just keeps going. but we do find ways of living with different nations, etc sharing this planet. i want more extensive, complex, trading and economics. also the way government and economics and society is handled is too simplistic, instead of giving more separate flexibility over what is really different things, though complimentary.

money/gold... i know that most of our world these days runs on this model of exchange system. but it has not always been so. money was an "invention", the idea that some common material could be used as a facilitator of trade, whereas before it was barter. can anyone think of a way to not make that an integral part, i.e. a requirement, of playing a nation?

did any of you ever see the addition to sim city that took one of your cities and created a 3d first person version model of it that you could explore? just for fun i think it'd be neat to add that to this. of course we could take it a step further and then have sim city like management of each city. we could even make it multi-player, where instead of one nation ruler, we could have a network 0f people playing different roles in levels of government. team play within one nation, alongside team play of other nations.

alot of people have talked about the timeline aspect. i have always felt that i got too little time in the ancient and medieval periods, that the game was too heavily weighted, in play time, in the modern era. i have usually played max size, max nations, etc, for long games, and the number of hours i spent as a modern technical society was a few times what it took for me to get there. true they were trying to make the point that until the past 1-2 hundred years advances were extremely slow, but with the way 1500 years go by in a few rounds it sure does not feel that way.

why have one character you play for 4k years? your ruler ought to change with time/age, and government. we can look back at the histories of lots of places and get many personas to provide a line of rulers to play. and that would teach people more about the histories of those people and nations anyway. i've always found it interesting the bits of our real world evolution that we learned or were inspired to learn more about while playing civ. the advances and wonders movies and pictures and summaries, again can be turned on or off.

i also want more ocean going emphasis. time at sea takes awhile to move. there really are not sea battles here. there are pirates, and supply lines, and trade. ancient and modern.

as for tech and inventions etc... just because you know of something does not mean you have to use it. take automobiles for instance. what if the united states were to shift away from the personal auto? it would change the ways we built our cities. public transport, trains, less reliance on transport trucks. this would alter resource usage. this might change peoples health habits and social interactions, a foot based society does act differently in ways.

you don't need an understanding of theory and underlying components to use the basic method of observation, testing, and recombination. it has always seemed to me that the creation of things came before the understanding. accidents lead to curiosity which eventually brought about some kind of understanding, which also can change. and today we have people who start in both ways. someones learns some theories of science to further that aim, but fails to see what someone never trained like that discovers, and vice versa. again like so many have said on here, these are separate, though related.

and what about global criminal syndicates? mafia, yakuza, the new-world order, the illuminatti, i don't know :) and other non-national entities. there is a little of this with the religions being able to sow dissent, or with the corporations, both of which everyone agrees need work. but take it further. it'd be fun to create an "underground nation" which has no physical boundaries, but operates all over the place. to kind of dissappear but still play. or maybe as an alternative to game over if your nation is conqeuered. make a more web-like resource management schema.

Welcome to CFC jccorreu. :band: :party: :band:

instead of using these labels, lets have more description of concepts and separate control to make our own perhaps never before experienced, concept combinations. i mean look at star trek, there is something like an egalitarian money-free society. it is not a far fetched fiction only concept, as any one who studies broadly knows.

I agree. Something like this?

but how could we make that far departure actually something we can play with? how would things work differently if this modern world were pantheistic instead of vying monotheists? religious effects are not neccessarily based on time are they? maybe uncertainty about providing for oneself and safety and happiness and fear, and answers to how the world works is more important. but we do have many scientists who are also religious or something. were polytheistic cultures more tolerant of other religions than are monotheistic? is there a way to choose what is acceptable in a culture? who/what is tolerated and persecuted, legal, etc, and how does that effect the effectiveness of a society? things like religious freedom, sexuality, drugs, slavery, women in the military, patriarchy vs matriarchy, what have you. is service in the military compulsory, is there a standing army, or just militia when needed? i mean imagine how the usa would be different if we did that like some other nations have?

I agree, but have no idea how this level of complexity could be successfully integrated into the game. You could put some of these options, if used reasonably basically, into the game, whilst still maintaining playability, but you cannot have too much complexity, for the sheer reason that if one thing is complex, than everything else has to be, also.

But, yeah, some more complexity and level of choice should be added to the game.

another point is that the more the game has the longer it will remain interesting. and i do want more customization of units, buildings, etc, to reflect the nation i'm playing.

I think almost everyone would like to see more uniques, to a certain extent (such as is suggested here). However, you don't want to end up making every civ completely different, or game balance will be put in danger. No matter how level you try and make the playing field, there will always be anomalies, and the more uniques you have, the more frequent, or inhibiting, these anomalies will become.

some of their ideas were colonization underwater, taking the game further into the space race, futuristic combat and buildings for later into the game, it takes a sci-fi like approach once you surpass current levels, and different approaches to religion and politics.

The Civ series is designed to emulate history, or at least allow a play on a historical basis. The simple fact is that the future is not part of history. So, while it might be a good idea to some extent, I wouldn't want any futuristic features to dominate the game, or diminish the rest of the game.

i'd like to see more environmental effects on cities and troops and etc... as well as natural disasters, epidemics. i mean look at the issues we face currently as our population exceeds 6 billion and we are concerned about resources. overfishing, rivers that no longer reach their destinations because we drain them off for out use, etc... whether or not the fears are true, they effect decision making and actions.

I would also. At the moment, there is global warming, but it does not do nearly enough. If resources were limited and quantified, sustainable use could be a factor over time (think oil and fish).

and a round world.

It would be nice, but how would it be practical? 9 directions is enough, IMO.

i want more ways to be successful with a civ than just conquering the world by force.

You'd get along quite well with rysmiel. ;)
I also concur.

in real life, of course it just keeps going. but we do find ways of living with different nations, etc sharing this planet. i want more extensive, complex, trading and economics. also the way government and economics and society is handled is too simplistic, instead of giving more separate flexibility over what is really different things, though complimentary.

money/gold... i know that most of our world these days runs on this model of exchange system. but it has not always been so. money was an "invention", the idea that some common material could be used as a facilitator of trade, whereas before it was barter. can anyone think of a way to not make that an integral part, i.e. a requirement, of playing a nation?

I also think that economics in the game needs some added complexity, but not to an unusable degree. One of my favourite ideas from this site is this. However, I don't want to have to micromanage my precious free time away. I want to be having fun playing a fun game, with some level of complexity and decision making.

did any of you ever see the addition to sim city that took one of your cities and created a 3d first person version model of it that you could explore? just for fun i think it'd be neat to add that to this. of course we could take it a step further and then have sim city like management of each city. we could even make it multi-player, where instead of one nation ruler, we could have a network 0f people playing different roles in levels of government. team play within one nation, alongside team play of other nations.

One of my other favourite ideas was that of city states (I can't remember what thread it was in), whereby you were the head of a particular city, who had to shore up support to make it to the top, and then worry about internal politics in the managing of your empire, as well as external affairs. This would be used as a way of prioritising city happiness and healthiness, with rival politicians looking for any excuse to remove you. This could be expanded to suit many forms of government also, including parliamentary democracy, monarchy (you would be the head of a noble family), police state (you would be a general, with other rival generals), etc.

alot of people have talked about the timeline aspect. i have always felt that i got too little time in the ancient and medieval periods, that the game was too heavily weighted, in play time, in the modern era. i have usually played max size, max nations, etc, for long games, and the number of hours i spent as a modern technical society was a few times what it took for me to get there. true they were trying to make the point that until the past 1-2 hundred years advances were extremely slow, but with the way 1500 years go by in a few rounds it sure does not feel that way.

Part of this comes from the fact that a lot of your earlier turns merely consist of clicking 'Next turn', whereas in the modern era, each turn takes at least a few minutes.

why have one character you play for 4k years? your ruler ought to change with time/age, and government. we can look back at the histories of lots of places and get many personas to provide a line of rulers to play. and that would teach people more about the histories of those people and nations anyway. i've always found it interesting the bits of our real world evolution that we learned or were inspired to learn more about while playing civ. the advances and wonders movies and pictures and summaries, again can be turned on or off.

See two points above.

i also want more ocean going emphasis. time at sea takes awhile to move. there really are not sea battles here. there are pirates, and supply lines, and trade. ancient and modern.

See further above for link.

as for tech and inventions etc... just because you know of something does not mean you have to use it. take automobiles for instance. what if the united states were to shift away from the personal auto? it would change the ways we built our cities. public transport, trains, less reliance on transport trucks. this would alter resource usage. this might change peoples health habits and social interactions, a foot based society does act differently in ways.

There is a point, IMHO, where the game becomes too complicated. I think this is past that point. Once you are worrying about modes of metropolitan transportation, it is obvious that micromanagement would be tedious. So, I too think it sounds like a good idea, but it probably wouldn't work.

and what about global criminal syndicates? mafia, yakuza, the new-world order, the illuminatti, i don't know :) and other non-national entities. there is a little of this with the religions being able to sow dissent, or with the corporations, both of which everyone agrees need work. but take it further. it'd be fun to create an "underground nation" which has no physical boundaries, but operates all over the place. to kind of dissappear but still play. or maybe as an alternative to game over if your nation is conqeuered. make a more web-like resource management schema.

Don't read so much Dan Brown. ;)

Perhaps this would work as a mod, or perhaps not. It would be hard to fit it into the Civ game, anyway. Perhaps as an entirely separate game.

Thanks for all the ideas. :goodjob:

I have 1 single wish - focus the gameplay around singleplayer features, like the original. Civ4 was too focused on short/fast multiplayer games on small maps.

If I wanted to play multiplayer, I would choose something a lot different than a turnbased game.

i
i want more ways to be successful with a civ than just conquering the world by force. in real life, of course it just keeps going. but we do find ways of living with different nations, etc sharing this planet. i want more extensive, complex, trading and economics. also the way government and economics and society is handled is too simplistic, instead of giving more separate flexibility over what is really different things, though complimentary.

Very much agreed here.

This is of no interest to me; it seems to me it would take rather a lot of space, too, which mitgates gainst it on maximum-backward-compatibility grounds.

why have one character you play for 4k years? your ruler ought to change with time/age, and government.

I disagree; I don't want to be playing a ruler at all, I want to be playing a civilisation.

of course we have in general 2 factions :) those who want more detail, control, micro-management, game play complexity, a realistic simulation, and those who don't.

For those who don't, there is CivRev. For those who do, I'm not sure there's really anything right now - that said, I don't pretend to have played all the mods Civ 4 has ever had.

there are ways in coding to make many ideas optional, so you can tailor the game to the wants/need you have at the time.

While I like this as a philsophical notion, designing a game in pieces such that any user-slected combination of pieces actually works as a balanced game seems a really hard project.

for me one of the potential aspects of playing civ is to give myself a way of seeing and exploring other ideas beyond what we usually conceive. we all are so used to what we live and what we are taught, that it is difficult to imagine what other possibilities could truly exist for our world,

I don't actually think so; there are after all several thriving genres of fiction not set in a realistic representation of our world.

another point is that the more the game has the longer it will remain interesting.

Agreed muchly.

and i do want more customization of units, buildings, etc, to reflect the nation i'm playing.

Heck no.

Or rather, "customisation" by different nations following different development paths, definitely; customisation by limiting anything at all to some nations and not others, I am adamantly opposed to.

You know what would be interesting, if the Leader changed whenever you changed CIVICs ... since your Nation goes into Anarchy et al :)

You know what would be interesting, if the Leader changed whenever you changed CIVICs ... since your Nation goes into Anarchy et al :)

I was actually thinking of being able to swap leaders just like you swap civics. Sure, it wouldn't be realistic, but you could choose from several leaders per nation that each had a different pairing of traits. You would have a turn of anarchy just like when switching civics.

Ready to start building heavily for a war? Swap to an Aggressive or Charismatic leader. :)

maybe religions would have unique units, but those units only fight in wars against other religeons. for instance:

Cristianity - crusaders
Buddhist - warrior monks (apparently there were some.)
Islam - sorry, but Al-Qaida comes to mind

(help me out here)

Well, it says at "home" that the more people that email for civ5, the more likely they will make it. We should agree on a list of things we want and have EVERYONE email it to them. I will start it.
1. Have 3D terrain modules like in Civ4 but still have the map large enough to see many sities clearly.

2. Bring back the seperate attack and defense but keep the different strengths torwards different types of units.

3. Reform terrain improvements. Use improvements like
a) Irrigation +2 food.
b) Commercial/production mines. +2 gold on resources like gold and +2 shield on resources like iron.
c) Keep the "hamlet" idea from civ 4 but have it finaly upgrade to a city. That should give 1-1-1, then 2-2-2, then 4-4-4, then turn into a 1pop city without maintanance (see-below)
d) Colony, same as in Civ3, allow access to resources outside your border
e) Specific resource improvements like (bonus in addition to current resource bonus)
I) Ivory: Hunting camps: +2 Gold
II) Wines: Grape Farm +1 Food +1 commerce
III) etc.
f) Have a quarry for hills and a workshop for flat land. This will bring +1 shield.
h) Farm +1 food but does npt have to be adjesent to fresh water.
Anything else to add people.
g) Have roads and railroads give bonuses again.
h) Other improvements that will do something like +2 shield -1 food.

4. Bring back the civil war. Have a system like this. Chance of having civil war equals "(((number of turns in civil disorder*3)+(number of turns of civil disorder for connecting city two*3))...and so on and so on...*1.25))*1%" (The constants could be played around with a bit.)

ex.
Hamburg has been in civil disorder for three turns. Munich for two, and Berlin for 5. They are all connected in something like a chain link.
(((3*3)+(3*2)+(3*5))*1.25))*1%
((9+6+15)*1.25)*1%
((15+15)*1.25)*1%
(30*1.25)*1%
37.5*1%
37.5%

That small group has a thirty-seven and 5 tenths (37.5) percent chance of starting a new nation.

The old nation could then deide to act violently without war-wariness (or whatever will be the negative affects of a war), or to let them go peacefully.

5. Allow hidden resouces. There will be resources that are hidden and a worker must find them. There will be a worker action called"find resource" and it will search for a resource on that tile. There will be no one particular spot for a hidden resource but if one is found in a square, the chance of finding another one right next to it should go down severely. There should be a limit on those too. This could also make some very interesting scenerios where you have to "search" for gold.

6. Bring back the seperate era screens but do not limit people to one era at a time.

7. Bring back polution and civil disorder. Polution from nukes is a very good strategy. Civil disorder caused you to get more resources faster and check up on your cities more.

8. Make units more distinquishable. Especially in ancient times in civ4 units are hard to tell apart.

9. Keep special unit promotions like in civ4 but have every 4 or so promotions it should get an extra health.

10. Allow trading of excess food. A certain percent of food die every square you send it though. The amount of food that survives should always be rounded down. Going into the Medieval era if they use it should double the amount of food that dies and flight should half it.

That's all for now.

Well, it says at "home" that the more people that email for civ5, the more likely they will make it. We should agree on a list of things we want and have EVERYONE email it to them.

Getting agreement out of a significant number of people here is not going to be easy, though.

2. Bring back the seperate attack and defense but keep the different strengths torwards different types of units.

For example, I am very for the first part of this and very against the second.

Yes, please.

5. Allow hidden resouces. There will be resources that are hidden and a worker must find them. There will be a worker action called"find resource" and it will search for a resource on that tile.

Whereas I think this is a terrible idea.

9. Keep special unit promotions like in civ4 but have every 4 or so promotions it should get an extra health.

And i very much want promotions gone.

Well, it says at "home" that the more people that email for civ5, the more likely they will make it. We should agree on a list of things we want and have EVERYONE email it to them.

Getting agreement out of a significant number of people here is not going to be easy, though.

For example, I am very for the first part of this and very against the second.

Yes, please.

5. Allow hidden resouces. There will be resources that are hidden and a worker must find them. There will be a worker action called"find resource" and it will search for a resource on that tile.

Whereas I think this is a terrible idea.

And i very much want promotions gone.

About the hiddden resources thing, that wouldn't really be for the normal game. Just scenerios.

Which part of promotions dont you like? All of them.

Also, this may be a little drastic but, the CFC community is very large. We could make a whole sub forum with a thread about a list of things that want to be improved. Then have a thread to vote on each feature, yes or no. The reason we should make one list is that people don't usually feel like making their own list. Firaxis could also just look at the subject and that sais somthing like "CFC civ5 request with suggestions" .This amount of people supporting civ5 would cause firaxis to start thinknig about it.

here's another one but i don't really want to make any suggestion here @ post 1120

Top Bottom