Civilization 6: Republic of Turkey

Civilization 6: Republic of Turkey v1.4.1

NerdByFate

Chieftain
NerdByFate submitted a new resource:

Civilization 6: Republic of Turkey - In this mod for Civilization 6, the Republic of Turkey - led by Mustafa Kemal & Recep Tayyip Erdogan - joins the game.

In this mod for Civilization 6, Mustafa Kemal, the great Ataturk, and Recep Tayyip Erdogan bring the Republic of Turkey into the world's stage. Can you create a Republic of Turkey to stand the test of time?

View attachment 459864

View attachment 459865

Unique Leader Ability: Kemalism - All Turkey-owned luxuries affect 6 more cities than normal.
Unique Civilization Ability: Strategic Depth - +3 diplomatic visibility with all met Civilizations.
Unique Unit: Hakkâri Dağ ve Komando Tugayı - Hakkari...

Read more about this resource...

In this mod for Civilization 6, Mustafa Kemal, the great Ataturk, brings the Republic of Turkey into the worlds stage, Can you create a Republic of Turkey to stand the test of time?

Unique Leader Ability (Mustafa Kemal): Kemalism - All Turkey-owned luxuries affect 6 more cities than normal. 35% war weariness reduction.
Unique Leader Ability (Recep Tayyip Erdogan): Ottomanism - +2 gpt for each city following Turkey's religion.
Unique Civilization Ability: Strategic Depth - +3 diplomatic visibility with all met Civilizations. +2 science per turn adjacency bonus for campus districts when adjacent to other districts.
Unique Unit: Hakkâri Dağ ve Komando Tugayı - Hakkari Mountain and Commando Brigade. Is unlocked with Replaceable Parts, has 4 less combat strength than an infantry, and has 4 movement instead of 2 (does not replace the Infantry).
Unique Improvement: Yalı - Provides +3 culture, +1 science, and +1 housing. Must be built adjacent to the coast, or it provides no yields. More science and culture when adjacent to more than one coast tile.

Supports TSL for Giant Earth, Greatest Earth, Largest Earth, and Play Europe Again (YnAMP).

Source code on GitHub: https://github.com/NerdByFate/Civilization-6-Republic-of-Turkey

Last edited:
The unique unit that's added without replacing the Infantry seems like a fun addition as wel as the Yalı.
My questions about the Yalı though are how much housing does it provide, does that get higher with more adjacent coast tiles and when does it unlock?
Those are all critical in determining if it's a weak, normal or strong improvement to have. If it's unlocked from the start from the game I can see it being a bit overpowered if your capital is on/near the coast.

I'm not sure about the abilities, Kemalism seems like a way stronger version of Gifts for the Tlatoani (Aztecs) that only provides to 6 total cities instead of 10. This ability of the Aztecs already puts them in a position as one of the strongest civs and adding another 4 cities might launch into the realm of being overpowered even if it doesn't share the Gifts for the Tlatoani combat strength bonus. Maybe having it work for 7-8-9 cities would be a bit more balanced?

The same thing could apply to Strategic Depth. While again compared to Catherine you lose the ability to make spies earlier, having +3 visibility seems like a lot to have. Perhaps even +2 would be too strong as it means that with just an embassy you are on Top Secret level, with a delegation the +3 would already put you there. I don't think this can be saved without putting it at +1 and combining with a different bonus like Catherine does or changing it entirely.

Every yalı provides +1 housing regardless of number of adjacent coastal tiles. It is unlocked at nationalism, which corresponds to the time period that most well known yalıs were built. That being said I would have to disagree with you on a number of points, and I question whether you understand what the impact of amenity spread actually is.

The amenity spread will not give more than one of a luxury's amenities to the same city (this I have found from testing and this source backs it up). The bonus would only be decent if you have a relatively small empire already, in which Kemalism would be useful for having the amenities to expand. All Kemalism does is encourage playing wide (which is larger than a mere 10 cities as of Civ 6, mind you), which could be achieved properly through other means, as seen in Rome's abilities (which affect all cities unless you are expanding to a new continent).

On to Strategic Depth. Diplomatic visibility is overrated. Sure, it allows you to understand leader agendas, but gaining allies is not that important if you aren't going to use them. The moment you try to do that, you start losing them. To be honest, it is not that much more difficult to discover hidden agendas with Catherine's ability than Turkey's here anyway (yes, I tried that in testing). It also allows you to see what goes on in the world, but - if you really cared - you likely would have already known what you are told.

With all of that out of the way, I really do appreciate your feedback, but I truly am unable to see it your way. Sorry! ;-;

I understand what you're saying about diplomatic visibility, it's not really something you gain anything from.

About the amenities though, I know that's how they work. The issue I perceive lies in that ability to go wide so easily that it loses the disadvantage of going wide and having to cope with lack of amenities when you go past 4 cities because the luxuries can no longer cover all your cities. Having them spread to extra cities means you can build up more cities faster and have a bigger population in all of them

On it's own it isn't a bad thing, you just slightly rise a soft cap on expansion. It's a soft cap so it isn't game breaking when you add more. However you are more then doubling the amount of cities that gain amenities from your luxuries. Going from 4 to 10 cities is a step that allows you to rapidly build up to those 10 cities (if you have the opportunity) instead of 4 before having to worry about amenities, having those extra cities means a bigger chance to have even more different luxeries meaning that not only do you have 6 more cities but all of those can grow bigger then the person softcapped to 4 cities. This means that for a significant amount of time (between having the arena and the zoo) Turkey will outperfom it's competitors in going wide.

Now that being said, this is all in an optimal situation. All the time spend building those settlers is time not building an army defending said cities and so forth. Assuming you don't get those cities by conquest. That's why I'm only suggesting to tone it down to about 7-8-9, just to remove the opportunity to snowball because you got lucky. Even later in the game when everyone has more then 10 cities, like you said, it's still a significant amount of raw amenities that allows you to build a ton more neighbourhoods and thus have more citizens and thus have more of well everything really.

Just so I don't sound like a total prick, I still like the civ and will be using it in my next game. I'm not trying to say you did something horrible and I might be completely wrong about how this could snowball. I was just giving my initial thoughts based on comparisons to experiences I've had with vanilla civs. That's why I pointed out strategic depth even though in reality you really gain nothing from it. Yalı's seem to be perfect in timing for what they bring as well.

I understand what you're saying about diplomatic visibility, it's not really something you gain anything from.

About the amenities though, I know that's how they work. The issue I perceive lies in that ability to go wide so easily that it loses the disadvantage of going wide and having to cope with lack of amenities when you go past 4 cities because the luxuries can no longer cover all your cities. Having them spread to extra cities means you can build up more cities faster and have a bigger population in all of them

On it's own it isn't a bad thing, you just slightly rise a soft cap on expansion. It's a soft cap so it isn't game breaking when you add more. However you are more then doubling the amount of cities that gain amenities from your luxuries. Going from 4 to 10 cities is a step that allows you to rapidly build up to those 10 cities (if you have the opportunity) instead of 4 before having to worry about amenities, having those extra cities means a bigger chance to have even more different luxeries meaning that not only do you have 6 more cities but all of those can grow bigger then the person softcapped to 4 cities. This means that for a significant amount of time (between having the arena and the zoo) Turkey will outperfom it's competitors in going wide.

Now that being said, this is all in an optimal situation. All the time spend building those settlers is time not building an army defending said cities and so forth. Assuming you don't get those cities by conquest. That's why I'm only suggesting to tone it down to about 7-8-9, just to remove the opportunity to snowball because you got lucky. Even later in the game when everyone has more then 10 cities, like you said, it's still a significant amount of raw amenities that allows you to build a ton more neighbourhoods and thus have more citizens and thus have more of well everything really.

Just so I don't sound like a total prick, I still like the civ and will be using it in my next game. I'm not trying to say you did something horrible and I might be completely wrong about how this could snowball. I was just giving my initial thoughts based on comparisons to experiences I've had with vanilla civs. That's why I pointed out strategic depth even though in reality you really gain nothing from it. Yalı's seem to be perfect in timing for what they bring as well.
For Civ 6, Firaxis really has upscaled what is seen as a balanced civ. For instance, a Civ 6 Civilization like Rome, which is relatively balanced, would be very overpowered if copied in Civ 5. That might sound off topic, but here's my point.:

I'm not denying that Kemalism is powerful, mind you - very powerful. I would simply ask you to compare its strength to other Civs' abilities. Take America. If you are playing as America and happen to be on the same continent as one or more other civs, the +5 combat stength is quite significant, especially if you take advantage of it early. This would give one the chance to snowball based on the luck of his or her start (beginning to sound more familiar now?).

Kemalism works very similarly. The effect is always useful, but it can be more useful at some times than others. It allows you to snowball, this I agree with, but what you have to understand is that there is a path to snowballing with a large amount of Civs in the base game as well.

I understand why you're concerned, but I can assure you - the effect is not as overpowered as you make it out to be.

Last edited:
That might be, but I am a very competitive multiplayer player and we use mods to make civ6 even more balanced as it already is. Your civs bonies are too good for being able to use it in one of our games.
Oh, of course. Yeah, if your're using mods to balance the already unbalanced civs in the base game, then this will indeed be of no use to you. Otherwise, however, as I said - my previous reasoning stands. On another note, if you are using this in multiplayer with a relatively limiting timer, I think you'll find that Strategic Depth will hurt rather than help.

Russian Localization.
Turkey_Civilizations.xml - all CityName to "LOC_CITY_NAME_".
Turkey_Text.xml- with ru_RU, added [ICON_...] to text, Turkey_Config_Text.xml = Turkey_Text.xml without cities (tag Replace).

Attachments

• Turkey Rus.zip
    11 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
NerdByFate updated Civilization 6: Republic of Turkey with a new update entry:

Republic of Turkey v1.3.0; the Erdogan Update

*Added new .artdefs to flavour units and buildings as well as add music
*Added UserInterface.artdef to fix the Cleopatra Bug (UILeaders.blp was not registered in an artdef)
*Changed Mustafa Kemal's capital to Ankara
*Modified "Kemalism" to grant 35% war weariness reduction on top of its current benefits
*Modified "Strategic Depth" to allow campus districts to grant +2 to each adjacency bonus on top of its current benefits
*Added Icons to the loading screen text
*Added Recep Tayyip Erdogan as...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom