Civilization 6 Tier List 1.0

After playing for another month since I last made a tier list, I'd now tier the Civs like so. I'm assuming no unit selling, no harvesting or chopping outside one's borders, no trade exploits, etc. For Deity, Continents map, other setting standard.

It's hard to avoid the conclusion that early conquest makes any game easy, even on Deity. With that in mind...

Overpowered
Scythia--The Leader UA is the strongest in the game, and the Civ UA is also the strongest in the game. Ridiculous.
Sumeria--The War-Cart alone makes this Civ top tier.
Germany--The best builder Civ in the game. Germany's economy will dwarf that of any other comparably-sized Civ.

Great
Russia--Free land is very powerful, free holy sites are very fun, and the Cossack is very good as late-game UUs go.
Rome--The free roads are mostly cosmetic, but the free monuments are great. The Legion is a useful conquest unit, albeit a very slow one.
Greece (Gorgo)--Hoplites aren't good for much, but the policy slot and the boatloads of free early game culture combine very well.
Aztec--This civ's amenity bonuses are overrated and redundant. But farming builders from the AI is easy, and rushing districts is quite powerful. Probably not very good against other humans, because free builders won't be so easy to come by.

Good
China--Very close to Great tier. Love the extra builder charge. A couple early wonders can be very powerful (Petra, Pyramids), but that's terrain dependent. It's hard to get much out of the Great Wall or Tiger Cannon.
Kongo--Some quality economic bonuses here. You can't count on finding relics but you can count on the Mbanza making a big difference. Not being able to found your religion is no great loss.
Arabia--The terrific Mameluk unit and a handful of decent economic bonuses make Arabia pretty effective. Religion isn't very powerful in this game, and that's even more true if you're picking beliefs last.
Greece (Pericles)--His ability typically generates culture later, and in smaller amounts, than Gorgo's. Still decent because of the policy slot.
England--The Royal Navy Dockyard is extremely impressive. The rest of this Civ is not.

Mediocre
Japan--The adjacency bonuses are nice but not all that important, and the construction bonuses are to the wrong districts. Bad unique unit. Still an okay economic Civ.
Brazil--More or less the same story as Japan.
America--Useful early combat bonus (though occasionally the map will screw you over), substantial late tourism boost. Everything else about this Civ is bad.

Poor
Egypt--A decent if expensive unique unit, but not much else.
India--More or less the same story as Egypt.
France--The tourism bonus is not as strong as America's or England's, and the rest of this Civ is unimpressive. The Chateau is clearly underpowered.

Underpowered
Spain--Every bonus is negligible except the Conquistador, and even that is a slow-moving unit that comes late.
Norway--This Civ has no redeeming qualities. The Berserker and Stave Church in particular are just pathetic. I don't think this Civ is that great even on a water map. On any map with a decent amount of land, it's clearly the worst.

While I don't mind some imbalance among the Civs (and making them all equal all the time is obviously impossible anyway), I would definitely nerf the top three Civs and buff the bottom two. I'd make all unique districts take up a population spot (nerfing the Hansa, among others), make the War-Cart unlock at Wheel and cost maintenance, and cut Scythia's healing from kills in half. I'd seriously consider nerfing the double cavalry ability, too. I'd also give Spain a boost towards founding a religion, substantially buff the Mission, and greatly increase the continental trade bonus (which is just inconsequential right now). Every aspect of Norway needs to be overhauled.

Last edited:
The list is very close to what I feel, with two exceptions. Thanks for your considerations!
I would say England ist great tier, since the free melee unit in newly founded/captured cities really makes difference to me. Especially on a continents map, when you start attacking with mostly naval units.
Egypt ist mediocre for me, since the +15% production for everything that is build along rivers makes building up infrastructure way easier. Combined with the more powerful trade routes and that you want to have your commercial hubs near rivers anyway, this makes them economically only second to England in my book. But since generating lots of gold is not everything in civvi, they still can't rise higher than mediocre. This is also because of the sphinx, that doesn't provide much useful things, as most improvements do.

This tier list seems to ignore the huge impact that military units provide via capturing cities. For example, Sumeria with its War Cart is in the bottom tier, whereas it should be in the top tier. Getting core cities up as quickly as possible is the key to winning Civ VI and military units do this best, except in the relatively rare case of being isolated on one's own continent or island.

Of course, I'm assuming one is playing Deity level; anything less is not challenging and even Deity level has rather sporadic challenge, if any at all. Game speed is assumed to be standard, but quick and online will offer more challenge as needed.

I do like the structure of the detailed list, but the x/10 rating system can become too subjective, in my opinion.

maybe the list needs a refresh after the winter patch that eliminated the "free district" for Germany & Co

Well Scythia still hasn't been touched, so still no point in playing anyone but them, at least in multiplayer.

While I don't mind some imbalance among the Civs (and making them all equal all the time is obviously impossible anyway), I would definitely nerf the top three Civs and buff the bottom two.

As mostly single player, I don't put much stock in balance, I would prefer that all civs have some unique and interesting abilities that could be overpowered under certain circumstances. So I hope they will buff those Civs at the bottom but don't nerf those at the top.

Overpowered
Scythia--The Leader UA is the strongest in the game, and the Civ UA is also the strongest in the game. Ridiculous.
Sumeria--The War-Cart alone makes this Civ top tier.
Germany--The best builder Civ in the game. Germany's economy will dwarf that of any other comparably-sized Civ.
Scythia is in a league of their own on Deity IMO. Killer of Cyrus means you need less military to dominate, which means it's easier to keep up on other fronts.

France's Chateau needs a bit of a boost. The Alcazar which you can build if you're suzerain of Granada gives the same culture bonus as the Chateau (if the Chateau is near a wonder, too). It ought to boost food and science a bit too, IMHO.

Scythia is in a league of their own on Deity IMO. Killer of Cyrus means you need less military to dominate, which means it's easier to keep up on other fronts.

I agree. I had put Sumeria and Scythia in the same tier, since they're both awesome conquest Civs, but after some reflection I think Scythia is clearly better. Sumeria will typically beat Scythia in a one-on-one duel, since War Carts come out so early, but in almost every other circumstance I prefer Scythia to Sumeria. In most games Scythia can conquer more territory more smoothly than Sumeria can. If the start is isolated, both Civs are weakened, but Sumeria much moreso--because Sumeria's combat bonus will be wasted while Scythia's combat bonuses will still be devastating in the late game.

So I'd now tier the Civs like this (for Deity single player):

Tier 1: Scythia

Tier 2: Sumeria

Tier 3: Russia, Rome, Germany, Aztec

etc.

Germany got nerfed by the last patch. Building IZs in every city is no longer optimal and the free unique district is gone. Does that bump them down a tier? Scythia's better for sure but I think I'd bump Sumeria over them now too.

Germany got nerfed by the last patch. Building IZs in every city is no longer optimal and the free unique district is gone. Does that bump them down a tier? Scythia's better for sure but I think I'd bump Sumeria over them now too.

Probably. With the reduced cost, I'd still build Hanses in most cities for the flat production bonus but it's no longer as big of an advantage as it used to be.

Kongo could be promoted in tier if its capital had a majority religion with the Reliquaries belief, as well as five relics in the palace, which would give it +1452 faith per turn.

Oh, and where would Poland be on the list?

Top Bottom