Civilization III - Crashes on Vista.

maartena

Warlord
So it was time to upgrade my wife's laptop. I got her a nice new laptop for a good deal, dual core, 2 Gb of RAM, Vista, the works.

The only game she really plays is Civilization III, and I got her the "Complete Edition" some time ago. This version works perfectly on her old laptop (and still does), but I am having challenges getting it to run on Vista.

The game crashes, randomly, anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours (I think that is the longest she has been able to play before it crashed). All other software, including Civilization IV (which she doesn't like) and some other games work perfectly fine. Photoshop, Office, and other apps work like a charm. Civilization III seems to be the only application that crashes.

She is using an Administrative User to play the game, and it has been setup to use "Compatible with XP SP2". I have reinstalled the game twice already, cleaning the registry in between. I have downloaded and installed any available patches, no problems.

I don't understand why it doesn't want to work. I am sure that the laptop hardware is perfectly fine, it is ONLY Civilization III giving me issues.

If I have to, I will wipe Vista off of the laptop and see if I can install XP on it, but I know that is going to be a challenge due to the lack of drivers for this model. I'm sure I can figure out the drivers, but I rather not go that way, I just got Vista perfectly running. Also, Vista is completely updated with SP1 and all other updates.

Anyone got any tips on how to get it to work properly on Vista?

I need you to answer these questions:
What kind of Vista?
Do you get an error message?
Describe exactly what happens when the game crashes. (Black screen, etc.)

Top Bottom