Civilization Request Thread

(orhan I)

UA: Pax Ottomanica
the :c5production: production of :c5war: military units, :c5faith: religious buildings and :c5occupied: courthouses is increased during peace. units produced during peace time have a :c5strength: combat bonus in the territory of other civilizations.

UU: Timaril Siphai
replaces knight. has higher combat strength(22 :c5strength:), and performs a :c5rangedstrength: ranged attack before combat. after reaserching metallurgy, receives a strength bonus.(27 :c5strength:)

UU: Janissary
Replaces musketman. slightly stronger(26 :c5strength:), and has a combat bonus based on its distance from the capital.

UA: Pax Ottomanica
the production of military units, religious buildings and courthouses is increased during peace. units produced during peace time have a combat bonus in the territory of other civilizations.

This is chronically ill-fitting for Orhan Natan, the guy was at war for almost his whole reign, tripled the size of his kingdom and the term 'Pax Ottamanica' (Though at least this time Pax Ottomanica is a real term and not just one you've made up by stringing together the word pax with whatever country it is you happen to be splitting...) wouldn't be applicable for another hundred years after his death. I feel like you should do a lot more research when designing things dude.

How about a castle UI? Seeing as the Ottomans built temporary castles around the cities they besieged in their early period.

UI: Hissar, may only be built within 3 tiles of an enemy city you are at war with? Some nice and unique benefits to top it off?

This is chronically ill-fitting for Orhan Natan, the guy was at war for almost his whole reign, tripled the size of his kingdom and the term 'Pax Ottamanica' (Though at least this time Pax Ottomanica is a real term and not just one you've made up by stringing together the word pax with whatever country it is you happen to be splitting...) wouldn't be applicable for another hundred years after his death. I feel like you should do a lot more research when designing things dude.

exactly. unique.

...wat

I almost feel stupid for putting quite a bit of effort into constructive criticism of all Natans designs when that's the kind of response I get :crazyeye:

I've started refering to him as NatanYahoo

If you're ever feeling stupid, look at Natan, and you won't any more. Trust me. =]

Anyway:-

Ottoman Beylik (Orhan Bey)
Start Bias: Grassland
Capital: :c5capital: Sogut
UA: Pelekanon And Onward
Land Units gain a :c5strength: Combat Bonus in foreign territory that increases the closer they are to that Civilization's :c5capital: Capital. Upon Declaring War with a Major Civilization, receive a copy of a Unique Unit for which you have the requisite Technology from a Civilization not in the game.
UU: Yaya (replaces Longswordsman)
Cheaper and weaker than the Longswordsman it replaces, the Yaya is rather faster, with the +1 :c5moves: Movement promotion. They also receive the unique promotion "Anvil of Marica", which allows adjacent units deal +50% bonus damage when defending against Mounted Units and +33% when attacking them. Upgrades to Musketman as normal, but does not require Iron.
UU: Timariot (replaces Lancer)
The Timariot is unlocked at Banking and has the unique promotion "Jebelu Muster" that allows adjacent Ottoman units to earn Experience 50% faster when defending. Requires Horses. Upgrades to Cavalry.

---

So, this is basically the anti-Ethiopia, with an emphasis on combined-arms and pragmatic use of stabby things. Whatcha think? =]

If you're ever feeling stupid, look at Natan, and you won't any more. Trust me. =]

Land Units gain a :c5strength: Combat Bonus in foreign territory that increases the closer they are to that Civilization's :c5capital: Capital. Upon Declaring War with a Major Civilization, receive a copy of a Unique Unit for which you have the requisite Technology from a Civilization not in the game.
Cheaper and weaker than the Longswordsman it replaces, the Yaya is rather faster, with the +1 :c5moves: Movement promotion. They also receive the unique promotion "Anvil of Marica", which allows adjacent units deal +50% bonus damage when defending against Mounted Units and +33% when attacking them. Upgrades to Musketman as normal, but does not require Iron.
The Timariot is unlocked at Banking and has the unique promotion "Jebelu Muster" that allows adjacent Ottoman units to earn Experience 50% faster when defending. Requires Horses. Upgrades to Cavalry.

---

So, this is basically the anti-Ethiopia, with an emphasis on combined-arms and pragmatic use of stabby things. Whatcha think? =]

I like it. But I feel the Yaya has too many effects. I would play it, seems like a good all out war civ.

---

I like it, though I'm not so sure about the second half of the UA. It doesn't reeaally fit Orhan. I get that he recruited a lot of foreign fighters from around Anatolia and I assume thats what you were going for, but his reach is fairly exaggurated and at the end of the day they all ended up in mixed divisions rather than getting a special 'Persian' unit or whatever. I think free units makes sense, but its still an odd application of it.

The Yaya, like COF said, is a tad cluttered but overall I really like it - the combined arms effect is really nice especially when combined with the Timariot. That said the defence thing is a teeny bit odd given the civ seems to be very offensive - so I dunno how useful the Timariot would actually be in reality.

Well, the civ is designed to use the tactics that Orhan I used himself, with the Yaya as a proto-janissary peasant levy to soak up heavy cavalry charges and bog them down while the lighter cavalry counter-charged. That's also why they're faster than average; it allows them to get better positioning and synergise with the Timariots. It's basically classic hammer and anvil tactics, which is why the unique promotion is named that - it's named after the Battle of Marica, where such tactics allowed the Ottomans to stroll into Macedonia like it weren't no thang.

And yes, I was going for that with the second part of the UA, and while I know it's not strictly speaking accurate, I think it'd be nicer to play as than just getting a boggo unit with X experience. Plus, after you upgrade them, they are integrated into Orhan's force, so that's a way out if you're a rules-layering skanky little nerd like me. =]

Etruscan redesign going through where Ahn was carried. I'm not sorry.

UA: Dodecapoli: Start with a free Cargo Ship, and an extra Trade Route slot. For every trade route with a different Civilization or City-State, recieve +2 Faith. Defensive buildings provide Gold and Faith.

UU: Baru: Great Prophet Replacement. Upon being born, performs a Haruspicinia, that provides you with Gold and an increase in Influence with City-States.

UB: Fanum: Temple Replacement. Provides extra City Defense, as well as +1 Gold and Faith in metal-based resources.

Wouldn't that UA mean basically guaranteed religion and first pantheon?

I'm not so sure if I'm fine with that.

Lose the Cargo Ship and scale the Faith amount with TR value and it'd prolly be fine. =]

+2 guaranteed faith per turn at the start of the game? Yeah, that's a lot. That's, like, a lot a lot. How much faith do you need for a pantheon? Not much. You can go for a faith-generating pantheon and get another few TRs out and have a massive faith advantage over Deity-level AIs, which is sort of not what should happen. It needs to be changed, IMO. =]

Top Bottom