1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization Request Thread

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by TheTacticalApe, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

Oh, this makes it much more balanced, actually!

2. Oizys

Oizys Chieftain

In that case, I think there are no problems with the UA. It does provide a nice boost during early game, although one might have to be mindful of Production, later on.

This is merely my opinion, but if you thought that was the right way to go about it, then it probably is. It's your rendition, after all.

3. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

It's +1 for Castles and Walls, +2 for Arsenals and Military Bases.

I could get rid of the Cargo Ship, but it'd be just... meh, I guess. Maybe recieving a trade unit upon finishing Philosophy?

4. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

I've said it before and I've said it again, UAs with 3 sentences like that look really cluttered; its not the bonuses themselves that are the problem - there are just too many of them dude. What about this for a slight de-clutter?

5. GPuzzle

Agh, that looks awful to code! I'd have to detect wheter it was built in first place and if it was built in the capital, and then spawn a dummy building to supply it with Cargo Ships! No, thank you!

6. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Mneh, whether you take the idea or not, the problem with your design is still there. I can't into coding so I don't know what's easy or not - but you still have to find a way to de-clutter the UA while keeping it easy enough to code.

7. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

It ain't hard bro

Code:
    function helloIamApotato(ownerId, cityId, buildingType, bGold, bFaithOrCulture)
    	local player = Players[ownerId]
    	local city = player:GetCityByID(cityId)
    	if player:GetCivilizationType() == GameInfoTypes["CIVILIZATION_NAME"] then
    		if city:IsCapital() then
    			if buildingType == GameInfoTypes["BUILDING_WALLS"] or buildingType == GameInfoTypes["BUILDING_CASTLE"] or buildingType == GameInfoTypes["BUILDING_MILITARY_BASE"] then
    				unit = player:InitUnit(GameInfoTypes["UNIT_CARGO_SHIP"], city:GetX(), city:GetY())
    			end
    		end
    	end
    end
    GameEvents.CityConstructed.Add(helloIamApotato)
    Although I haven't coded in a while, I might have made some mistake...

noticed a mistake lemme fix

doneth, PM me for errors

8. GPuzzle

tfw no skill at Lua

Well, I better get started somewhere.

9. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

I'll post this here for the sake of posteriority...

Tsalmothua - Xytok
    (start bias - Ice)
    UA: The Coal Kingdoms - Cities gain a Food bonus when units are killed in their territory. Starts the game with Coal Revealed.
    UU: Rocket - Replaces Cannon, +1 Range.
    UB: Sunken Furnace - Replaces Stone Works. Requires 1 Coal. +10% Production in the City. +1 Production per Ice Tile within city radious.

10. GPuzzle

Wow, that is much easier than I thought.

I was going for something much more complicated: read the number of Defensive Buildings (max 4) in the capital, compare it to the current total of Dummy Buildings that spawn a Cargo Ship, check the difference (let's call it D), do a loop that spawns the Dummy Building D number of times and add D to the variable that stores Dummy Buildings.

Probably much more likely to be failsafe but it just would look ugly.

11. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

About the Etruscans- I had a completely different UA in mind:

Dodecapoli
    :trade: trade routes you make to cities following your religion reduce :c5unhappy: unhappiness by 5%(up to 25%), and cities following your religion provide 10% less :c5unhappy: unhappiness. Cities founded on hills start with :c5tsrength: walls, and defensive buildings in them yield :c5faith: faith.

12. Trigan Emperor

Trigan Emperor Chieftain

A couple of civilizations I'd like to see...

Italy - I'm surprised I could only find one Italy civilization mod, with Mussolini as leader. I'd like to see another Italy mod with someone like Garibaldi as leader.

The Iberians - There's a few other ancient Mediterranean and European modded civilizations, like the Goths, Gauls, Minoans, Phoenicians, Thracians and Garamantes. An Iberian civilization would be a nice addition.

I do believe the Iberians exist in an Ancient Mediterranean civilization pack for G&K but not for BNW ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92186405&searchtext=iberian )

13. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

Italy

Iberians

Funny how no one ever notices my Iberian civ. Yeah, funny... :(

14. Trigan Emperor

Trigan Emperor Chieftain

Thanks for the links!

I'd seen the Sardinia-Piedmont civilization and I might use it.

I'd still like a more generic Italy, though. Using Sardinia-Piedmont to represent the Italian civilization is like using Prussia to represent the German civilization.

It's a surprising omission since one can play as England, Spain, Germany, France, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Austria in the vanilla game alone, so an Italy mod would fill a void. Yeah, there's the Romans and Venetians and some more as mods, but no Italy proper, Mussolini aside.

On the Iberians, that looks great and I will subscribe to it.

It didn't come up when I searched for it on Steam. I searched for the words 'iberia' and 'iberian'. I've double-checked and they don't lead to your mod, but the search for 'iberians' does. So I suggest that if you want to have the mod more locateable, then you put 'iberia' and 'iberian' in the descriptive text somewhere as Steam evidently doesn't have a great search engine.

Thanks again.

15. Trigan Emperor

Trigan Emperor Chieftain

Perhaps I could create my own Italy civilization mod by combining bits from the others.

I could use the Victor Emmanuel II/The Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont mod as the basis (there are instructions with that mod for how to set up the civilization as the Kingdom of Italy).

Here are the leader/civilization traits/units for that mod:
    Spoiler :

The Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont

Risorgimento

City-States under siege have a chance each turn to surrender without incurring a warmonger penalty from their capture. Accumulate Tourism in annexed City-States to spend on Military Units and Great People.

Alpini (Great War Infantry)

Unique Great War Infantry for Italy. Ignores terrain cost and has a combat bonus in friendly territory. May upgrade into a Garibaldino unit after earning at least 4 levels. Garibaldino units have a bonus vs cities, and may be expended for Tourism or City-State influence.

Piazzo (Garden)

15% of the Culture from World Wonders, Natural Wonders, and Improvements is added to the Tourism output of the city.

The Piazzo (Garden) looks good. Maybe I could try and set it that it can be built in every city, regardless of whether they're on a river/lake or not.

I'm wondering how the Risorgimento attribute would be handled by an AI player, and how effective it will be.

As for the Italian civilization unit, in the grand scheme of things, I think the Roman legion is the best and most notable fighting force that the people that have lived on the Italian Peninsula have produced. So I'll probably use that unit from the standard game instead of the Alpini. Probably give them the Ballista too.

Then I'd need to check the city names used in the Sardinia-Piedmont mod to see whether they used cities from all areas of Italy.

Given my limited modding ability, that's probably as much as I'd be able to manage to bring an Italy civilization mod into reality.

Would probably suit my needs, though.

16. GPuzzle

JFD made one Italy led by Mussolini, as well as Milan and the Papal States. Sukritact made Tuscany. There has never been "Italy" as a place until roughly the first World War, which the Sardinia-Piemont variant works, and in WW2 we already have it covered. I'm covering past Italy (well, the Etruscans specifically, but I could delve into the Italics), the Reinascence is already covered.

17. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

Our interest collide way too much it seems :p

18. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

I think the main problem here is that the Community's been going on an efforth to de-blob civs so they aren't these odd mismatched civilizations that feature things from completly different periods and cultures, while Trigan Emperor's looking for that exact thing in his ideal Italy mod.

19. GPuzzle

This forum is too small for both of us...

Duel at high noon?

Actually it might be better if we unite and stuff.

20. Trigan Emperor

Trigan Emperor Chieftain

It's true that Italy as a single unified nation is relatively new, but the concept of Italian peoples is older.

The game already combines different eras within civilizations, such as Berserker and Norwegian Ski Infantry for the Danish or the Germans having Teutonic bonuses against barbarians (most useful in the early eras), along with Landsknechts (middle era) and Panzers (late era).

When I think of the Golden Ages of the Italian peoples I think of ancient Rome and it's military (and administrative) machine and I think of the Renaissance with it's many great people in many artistic, scientific and other fields.

So I think that combining the Roman units with some Great Person bonuses (along with some tourism increases) would work well for the Italian civilization.