Civilization VI for Mac now available on Steam

For those of you who are playing with 12 fps on the unsupported graphics cards: how painful is it? I'm beginning to think that my rig will actually run the game, but I'm not sure that I want to spend the money if it's going to be too painful to play
I switched to strategic mode because it runs smoother. But it wasn't particularly painful on "normal."

Anyone try to play the game with a late 2012 iMac 2.7 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 640M 512 MB?

Last edited:
For those of you who are playing with 12 fps on the unsupported graphics cards: how painful is it? I'm beginning to think that my rig will actually run the game, but I'm not sure that I want to spend the money if it's going to be too painful to play
It depends on what you find painful. If it bothers you that the game doesn't look good, then I'd say it is definitely painful to play. The resolution, detail, colorfulness etc. are just nowhere near what you can see in Youtube videos. But that is understandable given the low-end settings.

The core mechanics are what makes civ6 civ6, they make me want to play this new game. Thankfully the UI remains responsive and the game feels rock solid. Sluggish animations are no big deal in a turn based game like they would be in a FPS or RTS game. So overall I definitely feel less immersed and therefore experience some pain playing, but at least I do enjoy it. And I know that Civ6 will last way longer than my current hardware so things will improve over time.

It depends on what you find painful. If it bothers you that the game doesn't look good, then I'd say it is definitely painful to play. The resolution, detail, colorfulness etc. are just nowhere near what you can see in Youtube videos. But that is understandable given the low-end settings.

The core mechanics are what makes civ6 civ6, they make me want to play this new game. Thankfully the UI remains responsive and the game feels rock solid. Sluggish animations are no big deal in a turn based game like they would be in a FPS or RTS game. So overall I definitely feel less immersed and therefore experience some pain playing, but at least I do enjoy it. And I know that Civ6 will last way longer than my current hardware so things will improve over time.

I ended up re-buying it yesterday to see how it would feel... now I regret returning it in the first place. I only returned it because Apsyr-Blair said he didn't know that it would work with my graphics card, turns out that it does. After about an hour playing it I got used to the sluggishness and it's been awesome =]

Running fine on my 2011 iMac:
iMac, 27-inch, mid 2011, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, Radeon HD 6970M

Mine are in ~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Saves/Single/

If your ~/Library folder is hidden you need to use the Finder's Go menu with the alt key held down, then select Library.

Great, thanks!

Top Bottom