Civilization VI for Mac now available on Steam

For those of you who are playing with 12 fps on the unsupported graphics cards: how painful is it? I'm beginning to think that my rig will actually run the game, but I'm not sure that I want to spend the money if it's going to be too painful to play

For those of you who are playing with 12 fps on the unsupported graphics cards: how painful is it? I'm beginning to think that my rig will actually run the game, but I'm not sure that I want to spend the money if it's going to be too painful to play

Aside from the 12 fps, SO far (I'm at turn 151, renaissance era, small map, 8 civs, all graphics settings on low) it's running better than Civ5 (ok I can run Civ5 on high graphics settings but otherwise...)!

Mac Mini (2012 model, core i7 2.3GHz), 16GB RAM, 768MB VRAM Intel HD Graphics 4000. Way under specced on the video card, rest is higher specs than the recommended. Runs beautifully.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
3.5 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GBytes RAM
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB
120 GBytes SSD
1 TByte HD

Civ6 runs fine on default settings - "medium impact".
Where is the "Benchmark Mode"?

It runs fine on my end 2014 MBP (i7 2.2GHz, iris pro 5200, 16GB RAM), though I kept most settings low. Performance is adequate, comparable to civ 5. It feels playable enough at the start and also seemed to remain playable enough in the late-game benchmark.

My biggest concern is how it looks on the Retina display: the resolution of 1440x900 without native scaling makes a lot of the in-game icons and fonts ugly and sometimes hard to read. If any of you recognize this as well and have some kind of solution, I would be interested.

Thanks for the feedback Pnothy, very helpful :thumbsup:
Of course all this is highly subjective and based upon 30-60 minutes of playing around today, do keep that in mind :p. I expect to play some more during the week. In case I stumble upon things that make me want to reconsider what I said above, I will post it here. Also, I will keep an eye on this thread.

Where are the save files kept in El Capitan? I can't find them anywhere.

Will it run smoothly on highest settings on any currently available Imac? Thanks.

I'm using a late 2015 iMac Retina 27", runs very smooth:
Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-25 um 17.18.46.png

What graphics card's in it? In the Apple Store there's three Imacs to choose from. I'm willing to spend some green - but no reason to spend too much ;)
3,2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, Graphic AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

It's in the user/Library/Application Support/Steam.

Hmmm... nope. I don't see it anywhere. I am checking the LIBRARY folder in my root hard drive, AND my User name. I find only one instance of APPLICATION SUPPORT, but there is no Steam folder anywhere... If I do a basic Spotlight Search for the saved file game, nothing shows up.

What graphics card's in it? In the Apple Store there's three Imacs to choose from. I'm willing to spend some green - but no reason to spend too much ;)

Don't forget the new MBPs are being announced on 27th, prob released ASAP for christmas and won't be much more expensive than whats currently on offer (the current products price will drop once the new models are announced)

It's hard to tell for sure yet, because the 12 FPS was only in benchmark mode (simulated late-game large map situation), but it felt fine to me then.

My iMac runs really smoothly. Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 17.39.49.png

For reference with the settings I like, though I had to turn shadows back on to fix the problems with the leaders' hair, so I was only getting 8 to 10 FPS here, which still seemed fine to me.

View media item 3858

Where are the save files kept in El Capitan? I can't find them anywhere.
Mine are in ~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Saves/Single/

If your ~/Library folder is hidden you need to use the Finder's Go menu with the alt key held down, then select Library.

QUOTE="borad, post: 14524130, member: 153835"]It’s right there in the main menu. I feel silly looking online everywhere for that info before booting up the game.[/QUOTE]
Doh! I was looking in the in-game menu.

About 25 fps on my system currently.

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 18.28.12.png

I'm worried. It says that you need 6GB memory, but I only have 4GB on my iMac. Just checked and the one my wife uses has 8GB. I might have to switch :) Or buy a new one.

No problems right now, but I can imagine it might get a bit choppy later in the game.

Top Bottom