[LP] Civilization VI: Leader Pass - Screenshot Analysis Thread

Laurana Kanan

Don’t underestimate who I am.
This thread will be similar to the one that was done for the New Frontier Pass.

Please use this thread to post in-game screenshots and analysis from the Civilization VI: Leader Pass. Sources can be from First Looks, Livestreams, or official images.

Main discussion thread for the LP can be found here - Civilization VI: Leader Pass - Discussion Thread

Curated list of new information & features for the LP can be found here - Civilization VI: Leader Pass Features Thread

───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

As of now the only in-game screenshot is this one from the Steam DLC page of Mbande Nzinga's (Kongo) capital city of Kabasa.

Update: please ignore 2nd paragraph, especially if you are just tuning into discussion. Seems I wasn't aware in the base game entertainment districts don't give theater districts major adj. bonus. Mea culpa!

I'll take a crack at this since I just played a Kongo game. What sticks out at first is the fact that there is a holy site in the top left corner yielding 4 faith from the adjacency bonus. While Mvemba is prohibited from building holy sites, this is clearly not the case for Mbande.

What you might not have noticed is that the theater district adjacency yield seems abnormally low - it should be 4, assuming +2 from adjacent districts and +2 from the entertainment district. If her theater square adjacency bonus is nerfed in this regard, there is probably a catch to her toolkit that compensates. Notably, the city is producing a theater square festival. It looks to be completed, but it still slated to continue for 5 turns. Perhaps this is some sort of super great person generator or culture/tourism engine akin to Magnificence Catherine's. I am guessing it is related to great people/great works though, since the current Kongo gets extra great writer/merchant points.

Also, the housing is huge, and there are starting era amenity bonuses. Possibly landing a golden age generates extra amenities/housing.

The other district adjacency bonuses seem plausible based on the available info. There are two of Kongo's unique neighborhood districts, which appear to function the same as Mvemba's. The maize tile has an extra production, but it was probably Haboobed.

More thoughts: Did some napkin calculations. Appears to be late Medieval or early Renaissance era. 41 housing at this point... Capital without freshwater should have 3 starting housing. Then factor in 6 more from aqueduct and 10 from neighborhoods... Holy site could give 5 more, and the university could also contribute. We see three farms and a granary... It seems like there is something giving a lot of extra housing we can't see, either leader ability or neighborhoods off screen...

Also, the city is generating a large amount of gold (42), but the only gold source we see is +2 from Maize. Is this from Nkisi or something else? My theory is there are at least 2 mbanzas we can’t see generating some of the gold and housing.

Last edited:
There seems to be a mismatch with the production shown by the city itself, where the icon looks full, and the bottom right, where it only looks about halfway done. My recollection from running projects in my games is that the icon should be half full as well, as when a unit or building is halfway done,

There is a good chance this doesn’t actually mean anything. Maybe it is my game settings, or I could just be wrong about this. I think it is working akin to Catherine’s though. Seems to be taking longer than normal - 10 turns seems a bit too long for that city. Welcome input from others.

Maybe Theatre Squares get adjacency from Neighbourhoods only? Or don't get Adjacency from Entertainment Complexes. Or only get adjacency from Entertainment Complexes :p

Only problem I see with your theory is, why wouldn't they just give her a unique project with a unique icon, if it works differently? Unless it works the same but has some bonus on top.

Missing diplomatic favor and resources income

Missing diplomatic favor and resources income
They don't seem to be playing that game with expansions enabled. You can see that era score is missing too.

What you might not have noticed is that the theater district adjacency yield seems abnormally low - it should be 4, assuming +2 from adjacent districts and +2 from the entertainment district. If her theater square adjacency bonus is nerfed in this regard, there is probably a catch to her toolkit that compensates.
Looking at the picture I think you are right on this.
My mind comes to what if her Theater Squares only gain +1 culture for each adjacent Mbanza, and no other districts?

What you might not have noticed is that the theater district adjacency yield seems abnormally low - it should be 4, assuming +2 from adjacent districts and +2 from the entertainment district. If her theater square adjacency bonus is nerfed in this regard, there is probably a catch to her toolkit that compensates. Notably, the city is producing a theater square festival. It looks to be completed, but it still slated to continue for 5 turns. Perhaps this is some sort of super great person generator or culture/tourism engine akin to Magnificence Catherine's. I am guessing it is related to great people/great works though, since the current Kongo gets extra great writer/merchant points.

Looking at the picture I think you are right on this.
My mind comes to what if her Theater Squares only gain +1 culture for each adjacent Mbanza, and no other districts?

@sukritact observed that the screenshot shows they're playing the base game ruleset, which has different Theater Square adjacencies. I think that's the answer to the mystery there.

@sukritact observed that the screenshot shows they're playing the base game ruleset, which has different Theater Square adjacencies. I think that's the answer to the mystery there.
Okay I just looked it up. I didn't realize that the EC adjacency bonus isn't for vanilla version. :crazyeye:
Back to the drawing board.

I thought so too from the beginning, but then what about John? Is it available under standard rules?

I thought so too from the beginning, but then what about John? Is it available under standard rules?
Do you mean Joao III of Portugal? The NFP leaders are just considered DLC leaders and use the base rules, not the expansions.

Do you mean Joao III of Portugal? The NFP leaders are just considered DLC leaders and use the base rules, not the expansions.
There is at least one exception. Ethiopia has alternate abilities for vanilla ruleset or GS. They're very subtle changes. With GS, their unique improvement gets a bonus for volcanic soil and the Oromo Cavalry is a unique Courser, which isn't in vanilla.

There is at least one exception. Ethiopia has alternate abilities for vanilla ruleset or GS. They're very subtle changes. With GS, their unique improvement gets a bonus for volcanic soil and the Oromo Cavalry is a unique Courser, which isn't in vanilla.
Yes, I just meant they are all at least compatible with the base game without expansions. Same as Kublai can still be in the game for China without R&F.

This makes me think, so far the speculation of what the abilities might be, is limited to the thought that they must be compatable with the base game. But what if some of the abilities change depending on the ruleset? For example, Abe might have a bonus related to war weariness in base, but loyalty bonus in RF and/or governor bonus in GS.
Ofcourse, I doubt that the ability is going to change too drastically between different rulesets, but it is in the realm of possibility.

I was thinking, I remember someone talking about Ramses II being linked in some way to golden ages, and I said to myself, said I : what if Ramses II began the game in a golden age ? Could be fitting, as one of the main leaders and glorious empires in the world. Could come with four specific dedications special to him?

Although, it has been hinted in an other place that Soundiata Keïta would be linked in some ways to golden ages, though perhaps not the both of them. Although, knowing that Mansa Musa has already a Golden Age ability (gaining permanently a trade route capacity when entering a golden age), I fear that having both Mali's leaders having a golden age ability to be quite redundant.

Also, the housing is huge, and there are starting era amenity bonuses
Appears to be late Medieval or early Renaissance era.
The Archaeological Museum is the latest element I recognize, which puts it in the Renaissance. I am not going to open Civ VI before Monday, but the Wiki says a Renaissance Era start would begin on T196, which would be consistent with T222 (superficial as that may be) and the city population--paltry by the standards of any Kongo enthusiast.

This is kind of a weird screenshot, most likely for largely trivial reasons. For example, there is an obscene surplus in housing, which a player would manage more effectively. Additionally, would a player showcase housing and population for an arid city with so many mountains (go on, just show me)? This is likely to show off respectable yields for the Holy Site, as previously noted, and the campus.

Seems to be taking longer than normal - 10 turns seems a bit too long for that city. Welcome input from others.
Part of it must have to do with the 22.7 production :D

Also, though I am a little late to the party, welcome back @Francel It is nice to see you posting again!

Top Bottom