At the risk of being pedantic, the Elizabethan era was certainly a time of cultural flourishing, but calling it England's golden age is a bit of a stretch

Certainly England's most swashbuckling and romantic period. Culturally far ahead of modern England and not yet at the constipated and artificial Victorian late-empire stage.

Certainly England's most swashbuckling and romantic period. Culturally far ahead of modern England and not yet at the constipated and artificial Victorian late-empire stage.
It was England's most swashbuckling period because England was not yet a major naval and mercantile power (privateers from other countries also existed, but my understanding is that England was unusually dependent on the practice); it was certainly an interesting time, and culturally very fecund, but not a "golden age" by any reasonable meaning of the phrase. Also, there was a great deal of time between the reigns of Elizabeth I and Victoria, including the Restoration and the Georgian eras, during which England was both a great power and decidedly not culturally stuffy (there was a great backlash against the Puritans post-Cromwell, which in turn seems to have caused another backlash in the form of Victorian prudery)

USA would be radically different right now if it wasn't for Good Queen Bess and her Privateers - Raleigh, anyone?

Plus I prefer to think they

"Took from the rich and gave to the needy - they took a small percentage, but they weren't greedy" (ish!) :mwaha:

Her text talks about "Rule Britannia", but she was only Queen of England, not Britain.

Also she does not gain an extra two trade routes when she acquires her first Great Admiral. She gets them when she first acquires her first Great Admiral through collecting Great Admiral points. If you just buy a Great Admiral outright, no extra trade routes are obtained.

Also she does not gain an extra two trade routes when she acquires her first Great Admiral. She gets them when she first acquires her first Great Admiral through collecting Great Admiral points. If you just buy a Great Admiral outright, no extra trade routes are obtained.
Not true; it doesn't matter how you get the Admiral. You're probably confused because you outright bought one of the invalid Great Admirals. It has to be a Renaissance or earlier Great Admiral from base game only. If it was added in DLC it doesn't count.

Seems to be an error in the implementation of Drake's Legacy. The text says +3 gold for each district in the originating city, but it actually seems to be the destination city.

Seems to be an error in the implementation of Drake's Legacy. The text says +3 gold for each district in the originating city, but it actually seems to be the destination city.
I think Drake's Legacy has been the most confusing ability ever, in terms of clarity. I've also seen in game that you only get 100% yields from plundering naval trade routes, not any trade route.

It's definitely the originating city, so the ability is correct there.

It shows up in the Trade Route UI as "from other bonuses." You'll see that Gold "from other bonuses" aligns exactly with how many districts are in your city.

Last edited:
It's definitely the originating city, so the ability is correct there.

It shows up in the Trade Route UI as "from other bonuses." You'll see that Gold "from other bonuses" aligns exactly with how many districts are in your city.
On the other hand, it says "+3 from districts in <name of city state>", which is a bit misleading.

I don’t quite recognise the building in the backdrop. I suspect it is supposed to be Richmond Palace (sadly no longer extant).
From where did you get that picture ? If you didn't uploaded it yourself, your answer is in the link of that picture.

Would be cool if Civ7 looked like that, or even better. (I love the size of the river and the little isles we can see in it)

I guess England does have its good rich history throughout the Classical eras to now actually, but what happened before the roman empire Britain?

I guess England does have its good rich history throughout the Classical eras to now actually, but what happened before the roman empire Britain?
It wasn't England. England as a political entity began in the early Medieval period when seven kingdoms of Germanic tribes coalesced into a single kingdom under Ethelstan, son of Edward and grandson of Alfred the Great.

Everything after that, the English remained culturally dominant in Britain, even when ruled by Normans, French, Welsh, Scottish, Dutch, and German monarchs.

Prior to the Romans, the island was a melange of Celtic tribes, fairly distinct from the Gauls on the continent, and varied even among themselves from South to North. The civ that is England does not encompass this time period in any way shape or form.

It wasn't England. England as a political entity began in the early Medieval period when seven kingdoms of Germanic tribes coalesced into a single kingdom under Ethelstan, son of Edward and grandson of Alfred the Great.

Everything after that, the English remained culturally dominant in Britain, even when ruled by Normans, French, Welsh, Scottish, Dutch, and German monarchs.

Prior to the Romans, the island was a melange of Celtic tribes, fairly distinct from the Gauls on the continent, and varied even among themselves from South to North. The civ that is England does not encompass this time period in any way shape or form.
Ahh.. the celts.. maybe they were the ones who built the Stonehenge then.

Top Bottom