Civilopedia descriptions/additions

Even more advances. Oh, where will it end??? :)

Attachments

• Planetfall Descriptions Tier 9.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 83
And it ends.

(Next up: Wonders)

Attachments

• Planetfall Descriptions tier 10.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 70
Thanks!

By the way, re Personality Transcription, I like your description and I think it should be kept. But it's not how I imagined Personality Transcription, so perhaps something could be added to it: I see personality transcription as uploading one's consciousness either into some computer (the Mind-Machine Interface route, and one which is described in the SMAC interlude related to the Voice of Planet and Transcendence projects) or into an organic habitat consciousness (the Field Modulation route, inspired by the Edenists from Peter Hamilton Night's Dawn trilogy).

And it ends.

(Next up: Wonders)
The Temporal Mechanics description "...the manipulation of time itself!" sounds in my head me like Rassilon's speech here (the last 25 seconds or so). :D

Cheers, LT.

And the wonders.

I left out the Morganite wonders due to thread you have about transferring those sorts of wonders to the Cyborgs, but the rest should be there.

Attachments

• Planetfall Descriptions Wonders.txt
    11.4 KB · Views: 87
Thanks!

The Voice of Toliman description is incorrect though. Toliman is another name for Alpha Centauri. So the Voice of Toliman is the SMAC Voice of Planet secret project. I used Toliman because Voice of Planet is already taken by the religion, and Voice of Alpha Centauri is too long.

well... that makes my treatise obsolete.

Resources, plus an adjusted Voice of toliman.

On resources:

I've made the substitution from Uranium to thorium in these descriptions.

I've also forgotten which terrain types red and brown algae are found in. I know one is dry terrain, but what is the other one?

Attachments

• Planetfall Descriptions Wonders.txt
    11.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Planetfall Descriptions Resources.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 84
well... that makes my treatise obsolete.

Have you actually written pedia text?? If people show nothing after two weeks or so, I just assume they belong to the majority who says they'll do something but then don't. So I'm not going to discourage other people who offer to do the same thing later.

Resources

Thanks again! :D

I've also forgotten which terrain types red and brown algae are found in. I know one is dry terrain, but what is the other one?

Brown in Arid IIRC. Red in fungus. I've changed the red algae myself.

I left out parts of the Fungicide and Oil descriptions for now.

For Fungicide, IIUC you say that fungicidal plants are under Planetmind's control. I disagree with that view. While Fungus and mind worms have over time evolved into the dominant lifeform on Chiron, and has gained the "arrogance" to call itself the mind of the whole Planet, it has in the process of becoming dominant driven many other native species into extinction. Some non-Planetmind species have survived up until this day by evolving fungidical biochemicals. The Monsoon Jungle is one such place where fungicidal plants are abundant.

Also if I understand correctly you say Oil is produced by currently living organisms rather than decaying dead ones. I disagree. I'd just say oil is more likely produced in the seas because fungus is less abundant there and doesn't suck up all organic material. I'm ignoring the existence of tectonics now. :mischief:

After writing descriptions, could you (or someone else) please reread them and look out for errors like putting two spaces after a sentence, writing 'ot' instead of 'to', and not capitalizing proper names like Centauri, Planet, Planetmind? It would save me some time to do other Planetfall stuff.

Where did you read Iridium is found near ancient vulcanic eruptions? I'm wondering if it would make sense to let Mount Planet provide an Iridium resource.

Where did you read Iridium is found near ancient vulcanic eruptions? I'm wondering if it would make sense to let Mount Planet provide an Iridium resource.

I've read about it in various descriptions of the dinosaur extinctions. There were/are theories that volcanic eruptions were the main thing driving it, and they were described as a potential source of the iridium that was found at the boundary. (I also checked the wikipedia page, just to make sure I wasn't remembering this wrong, and it does describe volcanic iridium sources as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium#Occurrence

Whether or not you make mount planet a source is up to you. (I wouldn't know any more than you would whether this is plausible or not.)

On oil: tectonics does throw a pretty serious wrench in the process, since on earth a lot of oil deposits are formed in areas that than get uplifted and converted to land areas, so it would be very strange for oil ot be found in the ocean, but not on land

On fungicide: The explanation you wrote above is one I'd included in the description, although it may not have been clear. Given that the planetmind does have a lot of ways to influence planetary ecology aside from fungus (such as the carbon recycling.), the description would probably need to include some explanation/guesses by centauri scientists, of a purpose fungicidal plants serve, or some description of why the plants aren't threatening enough to be completely eliminated.

As for the proofreading, I do make a check afterwards, but might have missed a lot this time around. I think the resources are the last bit of civilopedia that is also found in regular Civ 4, but since gameplay changes are occuring I'll be checking the descriptions again to keep them fitting the changes.

Whether or not you make mount planet a source is up to you. (I wouldn't know any more than you would whether this is plausible or not.)

I don't see a problem, because the Garland Crater does provide it as well (so landmarks technically being improvements can)

I'll make Mount Planet provide Iridium.

I could make Oil appear on land as well, though to compensate for the reduced oil on sea I'd prefer to make some other resources appear on water as well then. I'd need to have a look which resources (and their graphics) fit. I suspect not many. :(

I've been meaning to link you to this for a long time, but kept on forgetting.
How about this shrimpresource? :mischief:

Attachments

• shrimpresource.rar
    45 KB · Views: 128
I always had it in mind as a replacement for that reef resource (fish jumping around).
But you seem to say 2 posts ago you were thinking of adding a new resource to the sea if oil was to be placed on land also. The shrimps came to mind then.
O yes, this graphic uses the crab animations.

I don't want to add new resources. I was thinking some that are now only available on land could be made to appear on the ocean as well.

Top Bottom