obsolete (unit) - verouderd
disband - ontdoen
upgrade to - opwaarderen tot
civil disorder - opstand of rellen
tiles, squares (on the map) - gebieden
requires (tech or resource) - vereist
allows (new tech or unit) - kan
Aerial View - Luchtfoto
Great, let's play the game. - Mooi, laten we doorgaan.
What's the big picture? - Wat is het grote geheel?
Zoom to City - Toon de stad

And what do you think of this, a random collection from script.txt:

#UNHAPPY_REASON
"I am unhappy for no reason whatsoever. This is most likely a bug..."
"Ik ben ongelukkig zonder te weten waarom. Wellicht een programmeerfoutje.."

"It's just way too crowded."
"Het is gewoon te druk."

"All we are sayin' is give peace a chance!"
"Kunnen we niet gewoon vriendjes zijn?"

"Stop the aggression against our mother country!"
"Stop het geweld tegen onze landgenoten!"

"All the propaganda surrounding your regime is confusing."
"Alle propaganda is zo verwarrend."

"No More Draft! Hell, No, We Won't Go!!"
"Teken toch bij, zeiden ze. Nou, mooi niet dus!" Excellent !

"We cannot forget the cruel oppression you have bore down upon us."
"Je zweep zal ons nog lang heugen. En het slechte eten ook."

"Some improvements in this city are annoying"
"We balen van sommige gebouwen in de stad."

"Some improvements in another city are annoying"
"We balen van sommige gebouwen in een andere stad."

#advisor Military
Compared to these guys, our military is weak!
Vergeleken met hen stelt ons leger niets voor!

Compared to them, we have an average military.
Hun leger is ongeveer even sterk als het onze.

Compared to these guys, we have a strong military!
Vergeleken met hen hebben we een sterk leger!

Unless we get more gold, we cannot support more of our glorious armies.
We kunnen nietmeer soldaten opleiden, tenzij we meer goud krijgen.

We could support a larger military.
We kunnen een groter leger onderhouden.

We can support a larger military. Let's build $UNIT0.
We kunnen een groter leger onderhouden. Laten we meer $UNIT0 opleiden.

There are $BARBARIAN0 tribes near $CITY1!
Er zijn $BARBARIAN0 stammen in de buurt van $CITY1!

Let's plant spies to learn more about our enemies (and our allies)!
Laten we spionnen sturen naar de steden van onze vijanden (en vrienden)!

#advisor Cultural
We should build [$WONDER0!] We'd be the envy of the world.
We moeten [$WONDER0] bouwen! De wereld zou zó jaloers op ons worden.

We should build the [$IMPROVEMENT0] in all our cities and watch the people flock to us.
Laten we een [$IMPROVEMENT0] in al onze steden bouwen en het volk zien toestromen.

#DOMESTICADVICEANARCHY
We are in a state of anarchy. It's touch and go... We should have the government back under control in about $NUM0 turns.
Wij zijn in een staat van complete anarchie. Het is afwachten... De regering moet weer op orde zijn over ongeveer $NUM0 $<#0:beurt:beurten>.

#DIPLOADVICE

We cannot negotiate luxury or resource trade deals with the $CIVNOUN0. If we had a sea route we could...
We kunnen geen goederen met de $CIVNOUN0 verhandelen. Als we nou een zeeroute hadden...

This deal will probably be acceptable.
Dit accepteren ze waarschijnlijk wel.

We're getting close to a deal here.
Dit komt in de buurt...

I doubt they will accept this proposal.
Ik betwijfel of ze dit willen accepteren.

They will probably be insulted by this deal.
Dit zullen ze zeker afwijzen.

They would never accept such a deal.
Zo 'n aanbod accepteren ze nooit!

Rik, quick request: may I ask you, for future posts, to delete the lines that you do not change. That makes it so much easier for others to find the new stuff. And congratulations with your election as the first Governor of the Western Province (the link in your sig)!
Originally posted by Rik Meleet
civil disorder - opstand of rellen
Rellen! another word that I 've been looking for for ages. That is really going to help in a lot of different places. Relletjes, rebellie, rebellen rebelleren, relschoppen... :D
allows (new tech or unit) - kan
That doesn't really work in the context (in the 'pedia tech screen where you have requires on the left and allows on the right) imho.:(

You are right. There is no use of keeping the unchanged lines in your texts. I will refrain from them.

Thank you for the mentioning of my Governorship. Maybe it's time to join up in the Civ3 DEMO game.

@ kan. I tried to keep it simple. Read "kan" as "U kunt nu", or "... we hebben bijgeleerd en daardoor kunnen deze .... onderdelen gebouwd worden AND kunnen we nu .... bouwen.

I agree it's not perfectly decking the cargo, but it does emphasise that it's possible. I don't know a better translation so one two three. I am not taking you in the mailing.

I am not taking you in the mailing.
:confused: ... :lol::lol::lol:
No time for demogames I 'm afraid, but I can recommend this link.

I would like to change to change Frisian's suggestion of "gracious - aardig" to dankbaar. Any objections?

And for those who really feel the orange vibes now, another screenshot, with a few remarks:
- The caption in the message box should be only "Binnenlandse Zaken".
- "Volgende Beurt" substitutes "Press suchandsuch for next turn".
- Screenshots do not capture the baffling consternation that such messages create. I find it very difficult to concentrate on the game suddenly...

Attachments

• amsterdamblij.jpg
    amsterdamblij.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 105
improvement = ontginning ---> worker action = ontginnen
abstains = zwijgt
allows = vermag
What 's the big pcture = Wat is het (grote) plaatje?

a suggestion to my girlfriend?
is ivory a girl :???:
I thought girls only play with barbies and play father and mother :D
en nog iets, zijn hier veel nederlanders?
iedereen geeft hier suggesties over hoe dingen beter naar het Nederlands vetaald kunnen worden, dus neem ik aan dat ze Nederlands zijn, en als iedereen Nederlands is, waarom praten we dan Engels?

Toadhead: Of course girls play Civ! Chieftess (one of the moderators here) is a girl! I could name about a dozen posters here who have admitted to being girls (or women ;) ), and I am sure there are many others who "hide" in the anonimity of the internet.

I also gather you did not read my earlier post:
Originally posted by Padma
[color=600f0f]Just a little reminder: this is an English language site. Please keep the added comments in English for the mono-lingual. ;)

(Fortunately, I remember enough German to be able to make sense out of most of these posts. )
[/color]

It 's not that hard to get used to speaking about Dutch in English :crazyeye:. (Just remember that all posts by foreigners like mods are almost by definition off-topic. ;)) Renaming some of the units and wonders has proven a lot tougher and I don't know how things are working out with the grammar. The order of words in a sentence is fundamentally different in the two languages. Those who German know, will agree.
This translation should really be coming together now that there is going to be an official Dutch civ in C3C ( [party] ).

My sister plays Civ, it is about the only computer game that interests her though. I don't know ivory's sex, but the name sounds male to me. On the other hand, Padma sounds female which isn't the case I understand. I 'm male and have done translations, so that combination is possible.

BTW: Matrix is the one who noted a suggestion from his girlfriend, (who I don't believe is Ivory ;) ). I don't recall for certain Ivory's gender, but to an English-speaker, Ivory could easily be a feminine name. Padma also sounds like it could be, and indeed, if it were from a European-based language, it probably would be. However, its roots are Hindi, and there are semi-legendary male characters withthe name. ;)

As for translation, 30 years ago I could speak German *almost* like a native. Since then, I have grown more than a little rusty. But since Dutch is almost like a link between the two languages (pronunciation is more like English, but sentence structure is more like German), I can usually reconstruct the gist of what is being said. :)

I am not taking you in the mailing.

That would be, "taking the mickey" ;)

This is great work from all of you ! I just have a small nitpick - the word 'fission' doesn't translate as 'kernfusie' but rather as 'kernsplitsing' ('kernfusie' would be fusion)

Top Bottom