Civs that surprised you

Civs that surprised me in a good way:

(1) Inca:
Their abilites don't sound that fantastic and pre-GK the terrace farms sucked without mountains because they didn't receive a food bonus from civil service. Then I picked them by accident for a OCC game in G&K and decided to continue because of an awesome starting position with lots of mountains 4 tiles away from the city.

Boy they are awesome. Being able to ignore hill movement cost is an amazing ability for every unit, no matter if it is a worker or a spearman. Free roads in hills are amazing to establish early trade routes to other cities (I wonder if BNW will make that even more useful) or to get a free bridge to give you even more mobility across rivers. Slingers may not be the most powerful unit, but they are really great if you are a defensive player like me. And the new terrace farms make the Inca one of the most adaptable CIVs in the game - you can even settle artic areas if you have a few hills around.

Long story short: The Inca are currently my favorite CIV. I even pick them over Korea, the only CIV where I actually bought the DLC because they were so awesome.

(2) Dutch:
Their UA sounds a bit strange, polders are hard to use and I don't like ships as UU. However, the whole package makes them a surprisingly cool CIV. Being able to trade your ressources early on while keeping some happiness is great, regardless if you are playing the 4-city-tradition strategy or not.

You rarely find marsh tiles on a regular map, but the fact that you can place a polder on desert rivers makes them one of the best - if not THE best - CIV for a desert start. And the UU is AMAZING. I mean, I rarely wage wars, even less on the sea, but this unit once made me beeline for the tech and wipe out two other CIVs. °_°

Civs that surprised me in a bad way:

(1) India:
It used to be my favorite CIV from CIV4 and one of the first I used to play in CIV5. However, I never played them again after the happiness patch from vanilla. Their UA is probably the only one that can actually be a painful drawback, their UU is "meh" and their UB isn't really great either. And (imho) G&K made them even worse with all the readily available happiness from religion.

I like their concept, but looking back I wonder if they were actually the reason why I had a hard time in my first few CIV5 games...

(2) Iroquois:
I don't know why I am so disappointed by them. I find the UA bad, much worse than the Inca hill movement bonus. I rarely use their UU and I'd rather have a workshop than their UB. I guess they are just not my type of CIV...

(3) Spain:
The conecpt of an exploration-oriented CIV is cool, but Spain isn't really about exploring, it's more of a lottery thing. I hate randomness in games and Spain is really as random as you can get in CIV5. Their UA usually ranges from "totally useless" to "completley OP matchwinner". It may be fun for some people to win the game at turn 5 by finding the Great Barrier Reef, but I don't belong to those. And having two UUs doesn't make them more appealing for me...

Austria. Diplomatic Marriage, especially on a continents map style, is very good for establishing powerful cities without the hassle of settling, building, etc.

Austria. Diplomatic Marriage, especially on a continents map style, is very good for establishing powerful cities without the hassle of settling, building, etc.

Same for me, takes some time to start profiting from its unique abilities though. Diplomatic Marriage is too expensive until you start making real money / happiness but works great around the middle of the game. The unique building is great too, doesn't give as much production as the windmill, but the great person generation (stacked with the right wonders) can make a huge difference in the late game.

the one that surprised me the most is the Celts. Before I played as them, I had a feeling that their UU was stupid and that the boosts for religion was not enough. BOY WAS I WRONG :D

This was my big surprise too. Even after my first game with them (wherein I didn't start next to forest, so I didn't get to use their UA) I thought they were terrible; their UU doesn't even get bonuses against mounted! They're worse than a civ with no abilities!

So.. umm... yeah. Not quite. And I've come to like their UU quite a lot too.

Top Bottom