Climate Changes

asioasioasio

Fallout Scrubber
This isn't thread about Global Warming in 1939 Mod ;)

I'm not fully happy from the fact how the terrain is done in civ4. The types of terrain and the way the mapscript works makes me thinking that Sid and Co. hadn't best marks at school from Geography :deal: or just slept when teacher talked about climate :sleep:. OK enough jokes ;). Tough quite good for Civ4 (world simplified simulator), I would like to have implemented in mod something more complex and matching geographical regions and world situation (development, available food and production, adjusted events, etc). I'll go straight to example, so here are my propositions:

Tropical (Hummid)

3 :food:
+100% time of building improvments.
Brazil, Africa, India, South East Asia. Food will be more balanced in game so the cities won't grow so fast. And in case of Tropical (Humid) the growth of cities will be additionaly slowned much by rainforests* and events (diseases like malaria, change of soil fertility, monsoon, etc.). No hammer will cause cities to be poorly developped.

Tropical (Seasonal)

2 :food:
+50% time of building improvments.
Brazil, Africa, India, South East Asia. No hammer will cause cities to be poorly developped.

Dry (Arid)

-
+1 :commerce: adj. to river
All deserts - mostly Africa and Australia. No hammer and no food.
It'll give negative (-20% strenght) bonus to units without Desert Warfare I promotion.

Dry (Semiarid)

1 :food:
+25% time of building improvments.
Mostly Africa North America and Australia. No hammer and minimal food. With Woodlands (type of forest) +1 hammer.

Moderate (Mediterranean)

2 :food:, 1:hammers:
Mostly Mediterranean, Part of USA and Australia. Allows good development - optimal food number and additionally 1 hammer.

Moderate (Subtropical)

3 :food:
Mostly China and India, Part of USA. It gives a lot of food with much smaller effects of rainforests and events. It'll give big growth of cities without production - so they will develop industry slowly.

Moderate (Marine)

2 :food:, 2:hammers:
Western Europe. Optimal food and very good production bonus for old Europe. It'll balance the Earth map where Europe is very small, but it should also help to beat Soviet Union on Europe map.

Continental (Humid)

1 :food:, 2:hammers:
+25% time of building improvments.
Eastern Europe, Part of North America. Lack of food, but two hammers will give this cities very good production rate. It'll give negative (very small like -20% strenght) bonus to units without Arctic I promotion in winter months.

Continental (Subarctic)

1 :food:, 1:hammers:
Syberia, Canada. Poor food and production. This'll stop making this part of the world "Eden" with high habittants number. It'll give negative (-20% strenght) bonus to units without Arctic I promotion in winter months.

Polar (Tundra)

1:hammers:
North Syberia, Canada, Part of Grenland. Just one hammer. Impassable to units without Arctic Warfare I promotion in winter months. It'll give negative (-30% strenght) bonus to units without Arctic I promotion in winter months.

Polar (Ice)

-
Cannot build cities
Grenland, Tibet
North Syberia, Canada, Part of Grenland. Just one hammer. Impassable to units without Arctic Warfare I promotion in winter months. It'll give negative (-30% strenght) bonus to units without Arctic Warfare II promotion in winter months.

Ocean

1 :food: 1 :commerce:
Cannot build cities

Coast

1 :food: 2 :commerce:
Cannot build cities

* - I propse also change of name Jungle to Rainforest wich is more correct.

If possible the terrain will look different on different continents (is it possible to make desert in Australia red without adding another terrain type?) and will change look in winter (snow cover, dry/wet seasons).

Why would you be unable to build cities on the coast? One port city have a far greater value then an empire of land locked ones. :/

Other then that this looks like a pretty good idea. :)

Coast in civ = Continental shelf - maybe it should have different name in civ to make it accurate and not to confuse.

Oh, sorry.
That'll teach me to post without sleeping. >.<

Are you gonna include seasonal changes in "climate change" (much like RTW had winter and summer) ? Cause it would be really cool to get the russian muddy season in the soviet union. It could render mobility to 0 and increase/decrease the defensive bonus on the tile.

Yeah if it'll be possible. Dom Pedro II said it's possible to make it more efficient than in RtW so it won't slow down the game so much. And making extra terrains for Soviet Union and Canadian territory - Continental humid and continental subarctic will allow to play more with the winter months. As I mentioned those types of terrain will give minus strenght for units without Arctic Warfare I promotion (Polar ice for units without Arctic Warfare II Promotion). Also Polar tundra and Polar Ice will make units without Arctic Warfare I unmovable in winter months (It needs SDK changes). All this continental and Polar types of climat will by default have changed movement (possible without SDK changes???) and work like forests or hills.

My biggest concern is how to make it look different each terrain type.
There two ways to make it.
1. Not sure if it's possible without making extra terrains - to look more like earth. So yellow Sahara, red Great Sand dessert, orange Kalahari, etc.
2. Make different shades of green and yellow each different for different type of terrain. This would make it more inaccurate (yellow desert in Australia ;) ), but more recognazible - still hard tough - in this vast number of terrains the differences woon't be significant.

Top Bottom