• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[CnK] vs [BNW] City State warfare questions

Hello,
since I saw a hilarious thing happen yesterday in my game, I got to wonder about city states combat.

I was playing egypt, late game (information era) and found myself at war with rome, with another AI also at war with rome.

long story short, I allied a CS that was right in the middle of Rome's empire. They DoW'ed Rome of course. I noticed Rome was using air units to attack the CS units, so I sent the CS a well promoted AA gun to take care of those air units. The CS also had a rocket arty and an infantry, which I presume they got from the other AI before I allied them.

The CS promptly captured the nearest Roman City !?!
I have never seen that happen before, didnt even think it was possible.
The CS Razed it. I was blown away.
Before the city was totaly razed, it was displayed as my ally, and clicking on it brought me to the original city state diplomatic window.
-----------------------------

is this possible in BNW as well?

I was wondering : If this happens in BNW, does anyone get the penalty for capturing the roman city?

Is this a stretegy that could be put to work more reliably?
has anyone tried?

I recognize the risk of giving units away to a CS, because they could just switch sides again, but they were on another continent, so I was not concerned.

I've had that happen, yes. And there is no diplo penalty on you. I wouldn't rely on it though, because I think the AI CS' warmongering is pretty unpredictable and mostly rather timid.

CS can raze a whole empire if you supply them with unit, but they are really slow and bad at attacking far away city.

In some case the CS doesnt raze the city. (of course a CS can't raze another CS or a capital, but sometime they keep "normal" city)

you can use that to kill the "last city" of a civ without the malus diplo hit.

There is not genocide penalty in BWN, it's on a city by city basis based on the ratio of cities the attacker has compared to the defender.

I've even had a CS keep a second city for a while. It can happen. I think they eventually razed it, but not before using the city for dozens of turns.

In my last game an allied CS launched a full scale assault in medieval, 4 CB, 2 Triboks, 2 Pikes.
Another CS managed to get his only melee unit killed, keeping the 2nd biggest city of my target at 0 health for 5+ turns until my knight relieved them.

If they are en route to a city you don't want to keep anyhow it is often useful to let them take it and avoid the diplo hit.

Ok, it makes more sense now.

It seems that this worked so well because these reasons:

1) The CS and the Roman city were very close (CS borders only 2 tiles from the city it captured)
2) There was a lot of war going on, and Rome must have sent its units to another border area to defend against the other AI.
3) Rocket artilery + AA gun.

Factor 1) was the most important I think.

Still, I will use this again under the same circumstances, it seems like a good way to weaken the other AI. Previously I would only donate a unit when they were asking for them, or if I didnt want them to get annexed by the AI. Now I might start arming my allies more often!

In G&K, I had a game as France where I let Singapore get the last hit on the final capital to see what'd happen. Essentially, Singapore won the game for me. Wouldn't happen in BNW - you have to hold all the capitals in the game now, so I'd be in the strange position of having Singapore as the final Civ to take out.

Another G&K Mongolian game I had saw a City-State conquer a city, but it seemed to have gifted it to another player

It would interesting as Venice, Austria or with a patronage gifted Merchant of Venice to purchase a city-state after it captures cities. Wonder if that grant all the cities under that city-state control.

i used to do it all the tiem in gnk. the cs will always raze the captured city. in bnw you seem to be able to only gift 1 unit per turn were as i would gift 5+ per turn to allyed citys states next door to opposition

Wonder if that grant all the cities under that city-state control.

it does. if the city state got 3 city (usually 2 are burning) and you annex them as venice, you get 3 city, (you can still stop the burning of the city)

in bnw you seem to be able to only gift 1 unit per turn were as i would gift 5+ per turn to allyed citys states next door to opposition

it's less than 1/turn, if you use the gift units in the CS screen. (your unit need 3 turn in standard speed to get to the CS, and then you can give another unit)
but if you can walk your unit directly one the CS territory and manually give them via the Units screen you can give lot more unit in one turn.

Top Bottom