1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coal - is it a waste?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by JKWSN, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Seras

Seras BuildingMonger

wow...i didnt believe it until i tried it in worldbuilder.

when did this change?? i could've sworn railroads required coal AND iron

2. Ghandi33

Ghandi33 Chieftain

Let me get this straight, you get base unhealthiness from coal even if it's not being used in a powerplant?

3. magicalsushi

magicalsushi Chieftain

If you have a factory, yep. I must admit, while I like the idea of access to a resource causing unhealthiness, I'm uneasy that you don't get any benefit in return. Sure, it does cause unhealthiness in real life, but there's a reason we keep burning it regardless.

Same goes for oil. Okay, if your citizens have access to it, they're going to drive cars and create smog, but it's not like they only do it to generate the unhealthiness. The availability of personal transport makes people happier and wealthier. If anything ought to give you a commerce bonus, it's oil.

4. Ghandi33

Ghandi33 Chieftain

If it's not giving a bonus it shouldn't generate unhealthiness, that makes absolutely no sense.

If they think it warrants a higher health penalty when being used, sure, slap a higher penalty on a coal power plant and the iron works. But don't just apply and arbitrary penalty with no benefit.

5. HiroHito

HiroHito Chieftain

actually there is a benefit, else we would to just destroy the mine and build something else.

6. aslindy

aslindy Barely visible

Don't you think one of the reasons we have better health now is BECAUSE we have good hospitals? I think if cities didn't build hospitals, there would be people sick and dying all over the place, and life expectancy would plummet.
    So needing buildings for their health bonus seems kinda realistic to me. Or at least the CIV equivalent of realistic.
    :)

7. Antilogic

Antilogic --

If only the hospital provided a +5 health bonus...

8. Airefuego

Airefuego Chieftain

Coal's benefit in real life is that it's cheap and plentiful, unlike oil which rarer and harder to extract once you find it. So coal gives you an easy production boost, and a bad cough.

So to be "realistic" the game should make coal abundant, but unhealthy. It should make oil rare, and more useful and healthier than coal. I'm pretty sure that's how it is, too... :D

I also thought for a while that oil tiles should provide commerce, but i guess you can sell it to get that cash.

PS Railroads running on oil came in with BTS.

PPS People are healthier today largely due to better medical knowledge, better hospitals and medicines, better water and sewage services, and better and more varied food. These outweigh the modern day negatives of smog, industrial pollution, lack of exercise etc, making us healthier overall than our great-grandparents.