1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coastal Fortress

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by MysteryX, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Theov

Theov Chieftain

I think the courthouse in the capital is the best description.
    I you really need to; buy a cannon for those 40 shields and place it on the coastline.

2. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I've often wondered about coastal fortresses myself. I haven't built one in years. I believe that last time I built one, it was destroyed when an enemy ship went near it, someone launched a shot, and that was it: fortress was gone. Since then I figured it wasn't worth building them, whether it was a bug or not.

Now I know. And knowing is half the battle.;)

I tend to keep alot of artillery in my coastal cities, then when I get bombers I keep a few fighters (for 'radar') and bombers in cities that are getting bothered by enemy naval bombardments. The attrition is excellent. I tend to only use navies to protect allies or move troops for an initial intercontinental assault.

3. timerover51

timerover51 Chieftain

One option to make the coastal fortress more valuable and effect it to both use it to boost your production from the water tiles, and also have it autoproduce a cannon every 10 to 20 turns or so.

4. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I tend to play with harbors, commercial docks, and offshore platforms all giving a +1 to food/shields/commerce.

The cannon idea I like. But I think I would make a new artillery unit that is unable to move. But wouldn't the fortress still have a chance of being destroyed? Is there a way to turn that off?