Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Extra n% range and gold bonus on land trade routes for each different Luxury controlled?

Meh I like some things about the leader head, but he looks really scary, and not in a good way in this picture.

The biggest problem is that in this picture he's not looking at the player, he is literally looking away. This needs to be fixed. When his leader head comes up he needs to look like he's addressing the player that contacted him.

Yet again, I'm extremely sorry that my photoshop skills are not that of a professional and I did my best given the source material I could find on the net. If you can improve on it, I'd absolutely love it and I'd be more than happy to use your art and incorporate it.

Couple comments while I have the time :)

--Midew translates mostly into "Medicine Man" in English. Hense my use of Medicine Man. That said, Civ 5 standards are to typically not translate UUs' names into English. For that reason, I'm likely to actually go with "Ojibwe Midew" in the final version.

--Originally, this Civ was planned to be 2 civs -- Ojibwe and Odawa. Once I realized that they were the same overall nation, I merged them. I plan to pay tribute to each by pointing out elements of each culture, but Civ5 only allows at best a birds-eye view of the culture. Also, for just-cause reasons, I'm trying to build this civ only using XML. Just cause.

--I'm a 100% post-immigration European Canadian. The process of research and discovery for these First Nations civs has been an eye-opener for sure. I'm sure there are mistakes, but my goal is to avoid falling into any sort of accidental insults towards the Anishinaabe people (and any other First Nations featured in these mods.)

All of these are great! Are there any time codes (eg. 4:03 - 7:08) from these songs that you think would work particularly well as a war theme?

I'm open for suggestions regarding the peace theme too :)

Anything but Justin Bieber or Celine Dion soundtracks.....

All of these are great! Are there any time codes (eg. 4:03 - 7:08) from these songs that you think would work particularly well as a war theme?

I'm open for suggestions regarding the peace theme too :)

I figured you'd want to decide among yourselves. I don't actually have an opinion on which parts. It all depends on if you want it to be mourning or dramatic.

--Midew translates mostly into "Medicine Man" in English. Hense my use of Medicine Man. That said, Civ 5 standards are to typically not translate UUs' names into English. For that reason, I'm likely to actually go with "Ojibwe Midew" in the final version.

"Ojibwe Midew" is certainly better than Medicine Man, though I think "Midew" by itself is best, since you imply its origins with the word itself.

--Originally, this Civ was planned to be 2 civs -- Ojibwe and Odawa. Once I realized that they were the same overall nation, I merged them. I plan to pay tribute to each by pointing out elements of each culture, but Civ5 only allows at best a birds-eye view of the culture. Also, for just-cause reasons, I'm trying to build this civ only using XML. Just cause.

Merging them was a good call. After all the Ojibwe and the Odawa, along with the Potawatomi, were all members of the Niswi-mishkodewin (Council of Three Fires), like the Five (late Six) Nations were all part of the Haudenosaune (Iroquois Confederacy). Since the bulk of the Anishinaabe formed a single political unit, stretching the Civ blob out a little to catch a few of the smaller but unaffiliated Anishinaabe in the net isn't unreasonable. It's a modest compromise and a far cry from the games occasional habit of massive blobbing (looking at you, Celts and Polynesia).

--I'm a 100% post-immigration European Canadian. The process of research and discovery for these First Nations civs has been an eye-opener for sure. I'm sure there are mistakes, but my goal is to avoid falling into any sort of accidental insults towards the Anishinaabe people (and any other First Nations featured in these mods.)

I'm sure you'll do fine. Though I still recommend changing the Pontiac image you guys have. His Plains-style hair cut and clothes is noticeably out of place (well, for those of us who can recognize such things, which I realize is a tautology.... so yeah...). Anyhow, it's a bit like trying to pass off Alexander as a Roman Emperor, or Charlemagne as King Arthur. It might look appropriate Greco-Roman or Medieval to some people, but others will certainly pick up on the discrepancies.

I can totally understand where you are coming from and I'll endevour to change it! I might make the current "Pontiac" screen another leader (but who? perhaps Geronimo of the Cherokee?) and I'll see what I can do regarding silent shadow. I hope it wont overlap too much with Hiawatha's look though. If you can find any images of actors of models that look like your interpretation of Pontiac - I would absolutely appreciate such a thing.

the biggest problem with Pontiac is where he's looking. Him as a leader for the Anishinaabe seems fine, though I can't say much since I don't know anything about him as a leader.

Question is that picture you used for the leaderhead a model for assassins creed? Perhaps we can get a new picture if it's a screenshot taken by someone that has the game?
h
Another idea I have. I know as a fact that someone was working on an Anishinaabe civ a while back, and he had a nice leader head. The topic is on these fourms but I couldn't find it when I looked last night.

You mean this?

Spoiler :

Also, hate to be pedantic, but initially when you meet them, some of the base leaders in Civ V don't look at you initially (Oda, Nebuchadezzar, Hiawatha, William, Gustavus)

This is just a little bit off topic, but while we're on the subject of the Anishinaabe and other North American cultures...

Reedstilt, do you have any recommended reading lists? You're pretty far and away - at least on this new civilization board - the expert here on North American cultures. Do you know of any good books to get more familiar with any or even all of the major cultural groups or individual nations? I'm severely lacking in native culture reading material.

If you can find any images of actors of models that look like your interpretation of Pontiac - I would absolutely appreciate such a thing.
Turns out PBS did a dramatized documentary a couple years ago that includes a scene of Pontiac (only one scene with Pontiac? seriously?!). I know the resolution on the Youtube video is crap, but if any of the shots look usable to you, I'll see about getting a hi-res version screenshot for you.

As an alternative, since you guys don't seem to be focusing on military aspects of the Civ very much, would you be adverse to having a non-Pontiac leader? I could start looking into some other options for you.

On an unrelated note, when it come time to dive into the Native Australian Civs, I was wondering if it would be possible to steal the Barbarian Axeman animation for a new boomerang tossing model. Seems like the best way to get that classic Australian weapon into the game.

I think the consesus between Neirai and I is that we'd like to keep Pontiac. Otherwise there is always this for a female leader (turns out AC3 is a veritable goldmine for good leadermodels):

Spoiler :

The Pontiac you showed looks like too much like John Beranthal (from the Walking Dead) for my liking. I can keep looking around though and see if I can edit the "leaping" pose that Silent Shadow has.

Top Bottom