Combat/Extra Combat penalties in combat odds?

mercury149

Chieftain
I've seen this before, but lately its getting more prevalent and more annoying. I just had a brand new Neanderthal Warrior taken out by a barb clubman. Using size matters, clubman was strength 3 but I figured the strength 4 warrior had a chance. Nope killed and still over 33% strength remaining. What bothers me though is when I look at the combat log it shows (Combat -20% AND extra combat -25%) making my 4.0 a 2.7 versus his 3.......
This guy had JUST taken his first two steps out of my capital city, never had any fighting before.... How does he get penalized for combat, let alone EXTRA combat?
I have seen these penalties show up when they make no sense before but this time it really irked me, want to see if anyone can explain where these come from? One thing I've noticed is it SEEMS like they are ALWAYS against me, never in my favor vs the computer when they show up.

You get bonuses against barbarians on lower difficulties, right? Maybe it's the other way around for higher difficulties.

This guy had JUST taken his first two steps out of my capital city, never had any fighting before.... How does he get penalized for combat, let alone EXTRA combat?
What have you done by way of promotions for your new built Units in the Capitol or any of your other cities. If he has little to none in way of promotions and you send him out against a unit that has several promotions you are Quite Frankly asking for it.

Where did the fight take place? Are you using the terrain to your advantage?

Tons of questions that you have not supplied any info on so far.

Game set up Options? Difficulty level? etc.?

And screenshots Always help. Please.

Clubman units get a bonus against barbarians and a bonus against melee, I believe, and since your Neanderthal warrior is both, I think that accounts for both bonuses if I recall correctly. The Neanderthal Warrior is a Hidden Nationality unit, and as a result counts as a Barbarian, even though you own it. The actual barbarian foe unit must be a Spiked Clubman rather than a Clubman to have a 3 Str, unless it's a Neanderthal Clubman. Normal Clubman have 2 Str. Neanderthal Warriors don't get these anti-melee and anti-barbarian bonuses so, yeah, it's weaker in THIS battle, despite having greater base strength.

I know the combat help tooltip has some needs for improvement and correcting it is a step on the development plan I'm currently on so it should get some improving very soon.

Always use Shift, Alt and Ctrl to see combat odds and unit modifiers before fighting. There are so many different things in C2C that it's impossible to remember them all always.

Top Bottom