Comfirmed FIX for Crashes and Reboots! (ATI Cards)

I downloaded the 4.12 driver and it works perfectly, except that my Catalyst Conrol Center doesn't recognize my widescreen monitor (res: 1440 x 900) and there is no way to manually type in the resolution I need.

Please help.

Thanks for this suggestion as I have CTD very frequently with my 9800SE AIW, and hope this suggestion fixes this problem.

This did it for me :) Havent been able to play through more than one single game of Civ IV since I got it just after release, but now its running smoothly. I havent had a single crash since I got the 4.12 driver.

Many thanks!

i Own A Toshiba Satellite P35-s605 Laptop. This Is A Powerful Machine That Has A Pentium 4 H/t Processor. However, I Have Been Having Problems Playing Civ 4!! I Can Only Play The Game For About 5-10 Minutes Before The Whole System Freezes And I'm Forced To Hard Reboot. After Reading Through The Forums For Days I Figured Out That The Problem Is Most Likely Caused By My Video Driver. I Have An Ati Mobility Radeon 9000 Igp With The 6.14 Driver. I Have Already Downloaded The 4.12 Driver But Every Time Ati Tries To Install It It Has An Error And Terminates. The error states: "SETUP WAS UNABLE TO FIND COMPONENTS THAT CAN BE INSTALLED ON YOUR CURRENT HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE CONFIGURATION. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE REQUIRED HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE." I Don't Know A Whole Lot About Computers So I Could Only Understand Some Of What Everyone Is Talking About In These Forums. Will Somebody Please Help Me!!!!!!!! I Just Started Playing Civ4: Warlords And I'm Having The Exact Same Problem. Please Reply And Help. Thank You.

ktluver4, I'm suspecting that since those drivers are so old, they don't support your newer IGP video card..

ktluver - I had the same problem. I found out that if the manufacturer (ie Toshiba) purchased and installed a mass batch, they would not have on-board recognition as ATI cards. You have to contact the manufacturer to get them to send you an updated driver, you cannot use the drivers direct from ATI.

Unfortunately, this also means you cannot take advantage of the 4.12 fix. I'm having exactly the same problem and it sucks.

EW

edit: this thread has links to a couple alternative driver sites. not sure if any will work, i'll try myself later. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=171994

edit2: I downloaded the mobility radeon 9700 driver (catalyst 6.6) from here http://www.station-drivers.com/index.html and it has stopped the CTD problems (so far, only ran a short test). However, the stray polygons have not gone away. bleagh

I haven't had any CTD problems, insted i've had TOTAL crash problems where the game freezes and so does the whole computer. The only thing i'm left to do from this point is to hold down the power button until the computer shuts off.

Will contacting the manufacturer really help?? If so, what do I have to do to get them to send me an updated driver? And if they do what do i do with the driver from there? Sorry about all of the questions but I don't know a whole lot about the technical parts of a computer.

In my case, I simply called the manufacturer, explained the problem, told them my model and serial number (because they asked) and then my email address.

They emailed me links to download the lastest drivers. I clicked the links, saved the downloads, then ran them.

Of course, it didn't work, but it was a pretty painless process otherwise :)

EW

:( I have done all that you said to do as far as downloading the correct driver. However when I get far into a game it still will crash to the black screen and wont come back online. I am sorry I cannot give a full description of my computer setup as I am not that "hip" to computer lingo. All I know is that it is a HP a735W, the only thing I have added is my graphics card which is a ATI Raedeon 9550 All-in-wonder card 512mg. Could my problem be memory? I have no idea how to check how much memory I am running with. So any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as I have yet to play a whole game through to the end. Thank you!!!!:( :( :( :(

Top Bottom