1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Command and Conquer or Red Alert graphics pack for Civ2?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario Creation' started by Blake00, Jun 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Blake00

Blake00 Warlord Supporter

Does anyone know of a Command and Conquer or Red Alert graphics pack for Civ2 MGE or ToT?

Been thinking about making a dark and moody one heavily based on C&C2 Tiberian Sun just for fun. But there's no point in me wasting my time if someone else has done it haha.

The only Civ2 C&C scenario I can find is this one by @wonx2150 :
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/civ-2-c-c-mod.9958/

He converted in a number of units and buildings but didn't really do much with the terrain. I can't be stuffed making a whole scenario so I'm thinking I might do a C&C graphics update for his instead heh. I'll release a separate graphics modpack too for those not interested in the scenario.

Would be easier making a ToT graphics conversion due to the increase colours however his scenario is MGE so I guess I'll be putting my pallet conversion hat on lol as I'm too scared to even bother touching the MGE to ToT scenario converter lol.

2. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Hi Blake00,

I'm not aware of any specific graphics pack related to these two games but if you are looking for modern type graphics there are a number of places you can find them, including the following:
    • Scenario League - Modern Units here
    • CivFanatics - Modern Unit Graphics here
    • CivFanatics - Raging Dragon scenario graphics here
    • CivFanatics - Download Section - Modern Scenarios here
    I hope this helps.

Blake00 likes this.
  3. Blake00

Thank you Tootall. Those are great looking packs but yeah I'm after actual C&C graphics ripped from the games so I had to do it myself haha.

Here's some comparison pics of @wonx2150 's original graphics (mostly default Civ2 with a few changes here there including some rather funny looking tiberian lol) versus my new overhaul graphics either ripped out of C&C mix files or drawn by me.

Note: I have NOT touched any unit graphics yet. Just done terrain & cities. Will probably change most special resource icons too.

Wonx's ORIGINAL scenario graphics:
    Compare1.png

Blake's OVERHAUL graphics:
    Compare2.png

I've also given each faction custom command centers matching their faction colour and also custom walls (eg NOD bases get their laser fence, GDI bases get their firestorm walls, and Neutral bases get GDI base walls with little turrets)
    Bases.png

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  4. Blake00

Time for a progress update!

I've been spending most of my free time working with @Metro Polis on the Heroes of Might & Magic 2 Civ2 Scenario however I've done a bit more work here and there on my visual remaster of @wonx2150 's awesome C&C Civ2 scenario. I've also started preliminary work on a Red Alert 2 Siege of New York scenario for Civ2.

But as for Wonx's C&C scenario remaster most units have now been redone. I've been using high resolution models from various C&C fan remake projects and downsizing and re-colouring them. Takes hours to get each unit done but I think the effort pays off as they look pretty cool! Here's a shot of my latest work:
    Compare5.png

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  5. Patine

Patine Deity

That redone map almost looks like Africa with SMAC terrain.

It does look quite intriguing, though.

6. Blake00

Yeah Wonx's original scenario is based on NOD's invasion of Africa.

Haha yeah I guess my screenshot above does have a bit of a SMAC look to it due to the colours however all terrain assets I extracted from C&C2 Tiberian Sun. Eg in the below image you can see the desert and dirt patterns I extracted although I darkened the desert a bit to better match the dirt. The grassland & ocean is from C&C2 as well however I had to re-colour them significantly due to MGE's limited colour palette.

Screenshot22.png

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  7. Blake00

Hmmm to cloak or not to cloak...

The NOD Stealth Tank spends most of its time cloaked in C&C until it attacks. Civ2 doesn't support any sort of unit transparency so all I can think of is a chequered effect. However with so few pixels in the model you lose a lot of identify and detail. But when on standard zoom your eyes do seem to 'connect the dots' and create a not too bad cloaking effect. Which one I should go with folks? @Metro Polis @Knighttime @Civinator

Units File:
    upload_2019-10-10_19-56-42.png

In-Game (Standard 1:1 pixel zoom):
    upload_2019-10-10_19-50-29.png

In-Game (Max zoom):
    upload_2019-10-10_19-53-6.png