1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Community Monthly Challenge

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Francel, Feb 1, 2021.

1. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

Just finished up my submission for this month!
    Spoiler Discussion of what I did & what I'd do in my next run :
    I ended up getting a score of 46 as Kupe on Prince difficulty.
    Here's the overview of Te Hokianga-nui-a-Kupe:
    20210415230024_1.jpg
    By the end I was suzerain of Zanzibar, Muscat, Cahokia, Buenos Aires, and Auckland.
    I actually had to defend Buenos Aires near the beginning of the game from being conquered by either Germany or the Ottomans, who both declared war on it. Luckily I had already recruited Himiko and was able to levy Auckland's troops to just barely defend it from Germany's Beowulf and the Ottomans' Sun Wu Kong.
    20210414221606_1.jpg
    I didn't end up building the Temple of Artemis, or the Hanging Gardens, or the Great Bath, or the Alhambra, because there were no camp-able resources near enough to my capital to have any effect on it; there was no river near enough to my capital; and I forgot the Alhambra had to be placed on hills, so I ended up misplacing my encampment.
    I did also get Maui, which ended up getting me 4 additional luxuries (Diamonds, Turtles, Jade, and Silver) though I could've traded for Diamonds anyways.

If I do take another shot at this month's challenge, I'll probably use post-update Khmer, since they look like they'll be a BEAST for this challenge. Plus I think they get a start bias to floodplains, maybe, which would help ensure a location to build the Great Bath.

Attached Files:

PiR, canadamufc and Francel like this.
  2. Francel

Francel Madam Secretary

I was thinking the same thing about Khmer. I wonder if any of the other civs will emerge as contenders after the balance changes? Exciting!

Maori were an interesting choice. Looks like your diplo game was spot on. Himiko is so strong.

Thanks for your submission!

3. Bangau

Bangau Prince

@Francel : nice idea, happy to see it's 'taking flight'. Reminds me of the CFC competitions I started in the Hall of Fame sections a long while ago. :)

I infrequently visit CF nowadays, but stumbled upon this one looking for inspiration for a new game. I was thinking of going for the Kongo achievement (30+ capital) lately and thought it would be fun to see if I could do it within 150 turns. Didn't make it to 30 yet, but got far:

Spoiler screenshot :

20210417170713_1.jpg

Was unlucky to have Scotland hate me from the start and warring me at the beginning and end of the game. (gives -2 amenities from war weariness...). In hindsight also forgot a few things like the Colosseum and chopping my last few rainforests at the end for a few more population.

It was real fun to play with this specific focus though! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Am going to continue the game now. Shouldn't take long to get the 30+ city now.

Edit: played on deity level.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  4. IsabelBraganca

IsabelBraganca Warlord

My entry:
    Lady Six Sky
    Strategy:
    Spoiler :

I picked the city states and put Buenos Aires there, built the Coliseum, and Temple of Artemis. I also got Liang with the city park promotion and built as many as possible. My religion gives me extra food, housing, and amenities.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

PiR, AriaLyric and Francel like this.
  5. Francel

Francel Madam Secretary

As a reminder, all challenges can be played on two tiers of difficulty: prince through immortal and deity. Please be sure to indicate what difficulty level you are using.

With just over 10 days left in the month and a record number of participants, I thought it would be nice to post the current standings.

As of 4/19:

Prince-immortal
    PiR: 21+38 = 59
    Frokost: 17+33 = 50
    AriaLyric: 26+20 = 46
    IsabelBraganca: 20+21 = 41
    Canadamufc: 25+14 = 39
    Deadly Dog: 21+15 = 36

Deity
    Bangau: 24+15 = 39
    Planktonic: 18+9 = 27
    PiR: 9+16 = 23

Did I get your score wrong or difficulty level? Accidentally confuse sky with water or the sun with a lightbulb? Please let me know, and I apologize in advance! You can let me know privately, if you like.

Thank you to everyone for participating so far! Much <3 all.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    canadamufc, PiR and AriaLyric like this.
  6. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Prince

This was on Emperor, sorry I forgot to mention. Looking forward to the next challenge, I'll try to plan it out better and make a more competitive score! :D

AriaLyric, PiR and Francel like this.
  7. Francel

Francel Madam Secretary

No worries. As a reminder, if anyone wants to try again, such as after the upcoming patch, you are welcome to do so!

AriaLyric and PiR like this.
  8. PiR

PiR Prince Supporter

It's nice to see so many participating :)

That would be Braganca, as a reference to Bragança in Portugal/Brazil I guess :)

(I also submitted a 9+16 on Deity)

Francel likes this.
  9. IsabelBraganca

IsabelBraganca Warlord

Mine was prince.

Isabel Bragança was the daughter of Pedro II, and she signed the law that freed the slaves.

AriaLyric, PiR and Francel like this.
  10. Bangau

Bangau Prince

@IsabelBraganca : what UI mod is this for the city production screen? I used to have Concise UI that looked something like this, but that hasn't been working lately. Would love to try this one.

11. PiR

PiR Prince Supporter

I think you can see this from downloading her savefile :)

Bangau likes this.
  12. IsabelBraganca

IsabelBraganca Warlord

I'm not sure. I think it is either Community Quick User Interface or Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments. Just in case, I put inside the spoiler two print screens of all UI mods I'm using.

Spoiler :

13. Bangau

Bangau Prince

Hmm, tried. But doesn't look like it. Since it's an UI mod, it will just open with my mods, not telling which IsabelBraganca used.

PiR likes this.
  14. Francel

Francel Madam Secretary

It's been a quiet week, but another monthly challenge is around the corner. Only a few days remain for any new entries to be submitted. If you're on the fence, consider giving it a go. If no new entries, I think the standings posted previously are still accurate.

Thank you so, so much to our many first time participants!

As mentioned, PiR will be taking over next month. Can't wait to see what happens:)

AriaLyric and canadamufc like this.
  15. PiR

PiR Prince Supporter

Hey hey hey now comes May!

Challenge for the Month of May

Choose a civ. Choose a map. Play as historically as you can. When you are satisfied with yourself, pause the game (who said "we don't need to, it's turn-based!"?). Take a snapshot of your world. Tell why it's accurate. Amaze your audience.

This challenge is less of a competition than other months, as ranking submissions can quickly become subjective. Depending on the submissions, I may have to look for a guest star neutral arbiter. Don't worry about it, most importantly, create a piece of art!

Stipulations
    • Levels: any level is accepted, but Deity difficulty will be in a different category than everything else.
    • There is no time limit. The year should reflect the level of accomplishment your civilization is showing (no Biosphere in 1400 please).
    • You may choose the map type and size you like, including TSL. As for difficulty level, we may have to create a different category for TSL. Just remember TSL maps are not the best for all civilizations.
    • You may use any official mode or community mod that you like or find relevant for the scenario. Try to minimize the amount of non-official content, to allow others to open your savefile more easily.
    • As always, please play fairly and if you feel you cheated in some way to create something beautiful then at least explain it. Please feel free to ask for clarification if you're unsure.

Guidelines - what can be examined for ranking

It will be up to the judge(s) to weight the criteria and determine winner(s) but below are examples of what to do.

Domestic cities:
    • with appropriate name
    • positionning geographically consistent towards the capital
    • positionning geographically consistent towards the surrounding terrain
    • positionning geographically consistent towards a natural wounder
    • avoiding having a domestic city whose name is totally inappropriate for the civ (conquests included)
    • featuring a unique improvement
    Wonders:
    • wonders that have belonged or have a link to that civ
    • in the right city/region
    • correctly positionned towards the city (north/south/east/west)
    • avoiding having a wonder inappropriate for the civ (conquests included)
    Religions
    • appropriate religion founded
    • foreign civs converted to your religion appropriately
    Great works / heroes / people
    • great work / hero appropriate to that civ
    • great people belonging to the civ
    • great work actually in the right city OR building
    • avoiding great work inappropriate for your civ
    Government
    • thematic government matching +/-50 years with the reality
    Victory
    • judges might look to your submission with a kind eye if you win the game (gotta count for something, right?), on the time of your snapshot or later*
    • *you can submit a snapshot of, e.g., 1800, explaning how it's related to your civ, and then win the game in any way, not linked to the challenge anymore (just explain how you did it)
    Historical moment
    • if you display a historical moment of your civ (battle, turning point, regime change, etc.)
    Troops/war
    • featuring the unique unit
    • civs at war consistent with the year (+/- 50 years)
    City-states
    • CS that historically have huge diplomatic relations with your civ
    Creativity bonus
    • you may apply for this additionnal trophy if you find a thematic way of representing your civ

These are not exhaustive and all are optionnal!

Just do whatever YOU feel right, Great <LEADER>, for the glory of <YOUR_CIV>!
    (Sean Bean's voice)

16. Francel

Francel Madam Secretary

Neat idea! That is a very creative, outside of the box challenge. Well, I am biting my tongue because there is some exciting news on the horizon. I'm not going to spoil it though.

Also, just wanted to mention, I've added the winners to the leaderboard (first post) from the month of April. Congratulations to PiR and Bangau! Ya'll did fantastically!

PiR likes this.
  17. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I played a Kupe deity game to T100 last night and had it at 24 pop and 28 resources, shame I saw the challenge too late.

PiR likes this.
  18. Francel

Francel Madam Secretary

@Victoria Impressive score! We would be honored to have you participate in the future. You are always welcome here.

19. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Always been here, time is the limitation but interesting thread.