Community Patch: Events - a new upcoming feature!

Events are great! Most Paradox games include similar feature to give a player some unpredictability. It also makes each of our game more different from each other.

I think the best events are the ones, which give both some bonus and loss at the same time. Something for something. It makes making decisions more interesting and fun.

Cheers!

I think the events should be triggered based on a situation and our play style. Anything we can do in the game should have some events associated with it. Some positive, some negative, and some both of it - something for something. I mean, those events should be a consequence of what we do in the game (how we play) - at least to some extent. Of course, random events such as tsunami or earthquakes etc. are nice, but it would be nice if other events have enough depth. Following certain paths triggers different events each time we play, which have some (say, minor or some major) influence on our gameplay. Something that reminds me a little bit of some RPG games like the Witcher. Decisions have influence on the story and the endings. They have actually a lot of influence. Of course, it's not exactly the same in a strategy game, but you get my point. CK2 or Stellaris etc. are better examples to follow.

For example, I believe the most recent GalCiv game has events on founding new cities (er, planets) that let you specialize that particular settlement a bit more. Would be cool to have a set of founding events to keep things interesting for wide players-maybe a free unit for settling x tiles away from your capital or something. It sounds like JFD is going to be adding province events to reward upgrading your larger cities, so it would be cool to have both events tailored for tall city builders and those who go all ICS.

For example, I believe the most recent GalCiv game has events on founding new cities (er, planets) that let you specialize that particular settlement a bit more. Would be cool to have a set of founding events to keep things interesting for wide players-maybe a free unit for settling x tiles away from your capital or something. It sounds like JFD is going to be adding province events to reward upgrading your larger cities, so it would be cool to have both events tailored for tall city builders and those who go all ICS.

That's exactly what my CBP E&D Compatibility mod does and was based on before this event system was made. Right now I'm converting most of the events I made to DLL-based.

Question. Are the events random or depended on some situation or circumstances? I think the events should be triggered based on a situation and our play style. Anything we can do in the game should have some events associated with it. Some positive, some negative, and some both of it - something for something. I mean, those events should be a consequence of what we do in the game (how we play) - at least to some extent. Of course, random events such as tsunami or earthquakes etc. are nice, but it would be nice if other events have enough depth, which can really make this feature even more amazing! Following certain paths triggers different events each time we play, which have some (say, minor or some major) influence on our gameplay. Something that reminds me a little bit of some RPG games like the Witcher. Decisions have influence on the story and the endings. They have actually a lot of influence. Of course, it's not exactly the same in a strategy game, but you get my point. CK2 or Stellaris etc. are better examples to follow. That would be really amazing!

No offense...but did you look at the game event data tables?

G

I love that you're doing this. I love the random events from E&D but it's such a buggy mess. I do think it's funny that a while back Gazebo said that CBP was 'feature complete' and then a new feature came out lol.

I love that you're doing this. I love the random events from E&D but it's such a buggy mess. I do think it's funny that a while back Gazebo said that CBP was 'feature complete' and then a new feature came out lol.

Don't make me smack you with a stick. This whole system was designed because I wanted to give modders the tools to make events without worrying about compatibility issues or instability. Also it's easier to use. This wasn't intended to be a CBP feature, but events are fun to make.

G

Don't make me smack you with a stick. This whole system was designed because I wanted to give modders the tools to make events without worrying about compatibility issues or instability. Also it's easier to use. This wasn't intended to be a CBP feature, but events are fun to make.

I'm in total support! The more modders you can get to use CP and CBP as a base the better. It also makes it much easier to balance since E&D is so woefully unbalanced for CBP. And I guess it's not technically a CBP feature since isn't it in the CP code?

I'm in total support! The more modders you can get to use CP and CBP as a base the better. It also makes it much easier to balance since E&D is so woefully unbalanced for CBP. And I guess it's not technically a CBP feature since isn't it in the CP code?

Correct!

I was joking, by the way, about the stick stuff. In reality, I don't consider it a true 'feature' per se because I'm not going to rebalance existing CBP features around it – it'll be an ancillary feature that can be enabled/disabled as-desired.

Besides, who would complain about more features, anyways? :)

G

Ok so I wasn't really sure if this was discussed or where to put this but.

Would it be possible to have improvements destroyed by events be made pillaged instead?

I'm regularly getting a blank Research Setback event.

Top Bottom