1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Patch: Events - a new upcoming feature!

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Mar 31, 2016.

1. balparmak

balparmak Warlord

I'd also say as the mod gets closer to the final version, a cp/cbp submod sub-forum is called for.
    -still cannot quite believe this events feature is not a prank, its just too awesome to be true

2. Natura

Natura Warlord

the hype train has no brakes

3. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Events are great! Most Paradox games include similar feature to give a player some unpredictability. It also makes each of our game more different from each other.

I think the best events are the ones, which give both some bonus and loss at the same time. Something for something. It makes making decisions more interesting and fun.

Cheers!

4. darko82

darko82 Emperor

I think the events should be triggered based on a situation and our play style. Anything we can do in the game should have some events associated with it. Some positive, some negative, and some both of it - something for something. I mean, those events should be a consequence of what we do in the game (how we play) - at least to some extent. Of course, random events such as tsunami or earthquakes etc. are nice, but it would be nice if other events have enough depth. Following certain paths triggers different events each time we play, which have some (say, minor or some major) influence on our gameplay. Something that reminds me a little bit of some RPG games like the Witcher. Decisions have influence on the story and the endings. They have actually a lot of influence. Of course, it's not exactly the same in a strategy game, but you get my point. CK2 or Stellaris etc. are better examples to follow.

5. MasterEcabob

MasterEcabob Warlord

For example, I believe the most recent GalCiv game has events on founding new cities (er, planets) that let you specialize that particular settlement a bit more. Would be cool to have a set of founding events to keep things interesting for wide players-maybe a free unit for settling x tiles away from your capital or something. It sounds like JFD is going to be adding province events to reward upgrading your larger cities, so it would be cool to have both events tailored for tall city builders and those who go all ICS.

6. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

That's exactly what my CBP E&D Compatibility mod does and was based on before this event system was made. Right now I'm converting most of the events I made to DLL-based.

7. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

No offense...but did you look at the game event data tables?

G

8. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Not yet. I'm behind again.

9. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

Do the spawn rates of events consider gamespeed?

10. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Refer to the tables. You should find your answer.

11. Stangle Khan

Stangle Khan Warlord

I love that you're doing this. I love the random events from E&D but it's such a buggy mess. I do think it's funny that a while back Gazebo said that CBP was 'feature complete' and then a new feature came out lol.

12. Gazebo

Don't make me smack you with a stick. This whole system was designed because I wanted to give modders the tools to make events without worrying about compatibility issues or instability. Also it's easier to use. This wasn't intended to be a CBP feature, but events are fun to make.

G

13. Stangle Khan

Stangle Khan Warlord

I'm in total support! The more modders you can get to use CP and CBP as a base the better. It also makes it much easier to balance since E&D is so woefully unbalanced for CBP. And I guess it's not technically a CBP feature since isn't it in the CP code?

14. Gazebo

Correct!

I was joking, by the way, about the stick stuff. In reality, I don't consider it a true 'feature' per se because I'm not going to rebalance existing CBP features around it – it'll be an ancillary feature that can be enabled/disabled as-desired.

Besides, who would complain about more features, anyways? :)

G

15. balparmak

balparmak Warlord

Hm, coupled with the idea to introduce impending late-game disasters, I wonder what would it take to make cp&events+global warming mod compatible?hope simple sql can manage that, but that's very improbable.

16. basmannen

basmannen Warlord

Ok so I wasn't really sure if this was discussed or where to put this but.

Would it be possible to have improvements destroyed by events be made pillaged instead?

17. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

I'm regularly getting a blank Research Setback event.

18. hokath

hokath King

:lol: