Community Request: Help with OOS Troubleshooting

4. he probably wrote "other" instead of "able" :D

I guess the question was if you can play other games on multiplayer without experiencing OOS issues

I have no problem with other games. I can play Civ4/BTS without OOS issue (same friend and PCs). We use mostly direct ip. We played a game on LAN (my PC was the same, friend's PC was not. She used my other PC) there was only one OOS problem. Summoned Hyborem, and wanted to play with him, then i've got OOS. Reloaded the game and we can continue.

no I think he was asking if you managed to play other FFH2 games without OOS.

Summoned Hyborem, and wanted to play with him, then i've got OOS. Reloaded the game and we can continue.

this is normal but not a big deal... happens once in a game.

attachment 1 is the oos that happens every time someone has to reconnect. did it right at the start of the game.

attachment 2 happened right after infernals captured a city. easily reproducible, since it happens every time.

both 034, patch g

hope this helps

Attachments

• reconnect-oos.zip
    86.1 KB · Views: 67
  • inf-takeover.zip
    112.7 KB · Views: 81
XP+Vista game.
This is the second OOS (around 130sih, iirc) - first one @ ~turn 70ish was not logged due to the presence of an earlier log of an OOS on game start.

~155 now, OOS evrey 4-5 turns, seemingly mostly related to combat results.

Main objects of note:
different Soren rand
different unit counts (different combat results, apparently)
different unit locations (especially the Barbs and P5 (Rhonna has some with a difference of 8!))

Attachments

• Omsion-OOSLog.txt
    419.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Max-OOSLog.txt
    419.5 KB · Views: 51
Another, new game, turn 204.

Attachments

• Omsion2-OOSLog.txt
    432 KB · Views: 64
  • Max2-OOSLog.txt
    432.3 KB · Views: 80
vista (on my side), xp (on the other side)
OOS on turn 1 (new record) after the xp player reconnected (his game crashed on the first attempt)

Attachments

• oos.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 79
Another, new game, turn 204.
I think on our end, most of our OOS are combat related. This particular game had us isolated from the other AIs (we were teamed up vs. Deitys) on our own island, so there was no human-AI wars, and we had OOS evrey 10-20 turns after this first one, but we didn't keep track of the logs or what may have triggered it since an occasional reload wasn't a problem.

On turn 300, we finally went to total war mode with Perpentach, and there were tons of combat, with OOS evrey turn. No log, unforutnently, since it seems the logger only generates one log each time Civ4 is run.

I saw the following reported in the Bug thread:

• Infernals capturing a city is causing instant OOS in MP. If a player other than the Infernal saves the game for reload, the Infernals do not get Demonic Citizens in the new city, which may be the cause of the OOS (nimbus011 - Post 599)

But it doesn’t seem to have gotten fixed. Here I am attaching OOSLog files confirming this issue. The Infernals capturing a city causes OOS 100% of the time, but if they raze the city instead there is never an OOS. Restoring from a post-OOS save from the Luchirp player, the new city has no demonic citizens, indicating that the OOS was probably caused by the Infernal player getting the demonic citizens in that city, and the demonic citizens not being generated in the new Infernal city for the Luchirp player. This is verified in the OOS logs: the logs from the Infernal player indicates 3 Demonic Citizens buildings present for Player 12 (Infernals), but the Luchirp log indicates only 2 Demonic Citizens for Player 12. The same thing is happening with all of the buildings that the Infernals get for free (e.g. Forge, Training yard, Elder council, Obsidian gate). Obviously there is an issue with multiplayer computers "knowing" that Infernal cities get free buildings. I have heard of players claiming that OOS issues are more common when the Infernals enter the game; I wonder how many of those issues are related to this particular bug?

View attachment OOSLogs.zip

I saw the following reported in the Bug thread:

But it doesn’t seem to have gotten fixed. Here I am attaching OOSLog files confirming this issue. The Infernals capturing a city causes OOS 100% of the time, but if they raze the city instead there is never an OOS. Restoring from a post-OOS save from the Luchirp player, the new city has no demonic citizens, indicating that the OOS was probably caused by the Infernal player getting the demonic citizens in that city, and the demonic citizens not being generated in the new Infernal city for the Luchirp player. This is verified in the OOS logs: the logs from the Infernal player indicates 3 Demonic Citizens buildings present for Player 12 (Infernals), but the Luchirp log indicates only 2 Demonic Citizens for Player 12. The same thing is happening with all of the buildings that the Infernals get for free (e.g. Forge, Training yard, Elder council, Obsidian gate). Obviously there is an issue with multiplayer computers "knowing" that Infernal cities get free buildings. I have heard of players claiming that OOS issues are more common when the Infernals enter the game; I wonder how many of those issues are related to this particular bug?

View attachment 196635

Thanks for the logs. It should be fixed in the next version.

This wasnt a problem with demonic citizens, it was a problem with the cityAcquiredAndKept python function because it is called against the active player (which is different people in multiplayer games). Switching to the cityAcquired function should fix it.

I was playing with a friend on the internet (i'm player 1 and he's player 0 in the log). I think happend while I selected the City States civic.
I was first hosting on my laptop (wireless) and we had and OOS every few turns, but then I switched to my PC and we played about 100 turns I think and then this OOS hit.

We're playing 0.34h we already tried reinstalling

Ah damn I don't have his log, nevermind :p

Attachments

• Vista64Manveru-OOSLog.zip
    104 KB · Views: 50
This is still of interest as of 0.40, right?

125 turns into a game with patch c on XP vs. Vista and no OOS :)

1.) What do you do when OOS happens?

2.) I didn't get the log (write permission I think), OS is Vista, what to do to fix this and get log?

3.) Still get OOS on player reconnect after CTD while of 0.4f. Got one just tonight.

1) Get the host to save the game, everyone alt-tab out and save and rename their OOS logs before another OOS occurs so that you have the first OOS log. Its under (Civ folder)/BtS/OOSlog.txt if I recall correctly. Then get the host to load the game up, cross your fingers and hope it doesn't happen again :lol:

3) Never get a player to reconnect even if he crashes. Always save, get back to lobby, and restart the saved game. That helps prevent OOSes.

Xien did mention to me in IRC that he wanted some of us to test that for him.

Here is a re-designed Logger that I'll have for the future of FF, but could be useful now for those of you actively tracking OOS for us.

New features: Savefile states the Name, Player Number and Game Turn for when it is saved. This prevents the overwrites when you have repeating OOSs, and allows a player running multiple instances of the game on a single computer to generate independant logs (main reason I made the changes).

Also added some city data to the OOS report to help narrow down causes of OOS issues.

Future FF releases will track random numbers as well, that requires DLL work for my method, but I learned later you can enable tracking of MOST random numbers in the .ini, so people could turn that on right now to track random numbers in the MPLog files.

Attachments

• OOSLogger.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 69
Have been playing this mod for about a year now and I have to say this is a great mod. Thank you FFH team for all your hard work. :goodjob:

Recently I introduced someone else to the mod and we have been playing team game. We have found an OOS, Patch N, it has been constant within our games and can reproduce it easily. From the OOSLogs (in .zip) you see player 0 has different production and commerce. From some testing this is in the capital that is the problem.

The cause of the OOS is when the city governor changes citizens within the capital (can happen for many reasons from changing science rates to switching builds). Since its only the capital I suspect its God King causing it.

This particular case occurred when my capital set a new build (setting from a OO temple to a Flurry). In my .zip you have my autosave the turn of the event and the save after the OOS from when after builds are done.

Citizen automation was turned on the turn before right before ending turn last turn to demonstrate. We are able to reproduce the error if citizen automation stays on, if it is turned off before the new build is set no OOS occurs.

The way we have been handling this is to turn off the citizen automation in each of our capitals but I thought I would do my part and report it.

Once again thank you for the making of this mod and I hope my saves help.

View attachment OOSLog.zip

OK, just got a desync problem.
Game is on Erebus, human players are Hippus / Sidar teamed together. My ally just switched to god king, so maybe it's similar to the previous post?

We both have XP and we're playing patch P.

Attachments

• XPJason-OOSLog.txt
    395.1 KB · Views: 46
  • XPTurunen-OOSLog.txt
    395.3 KB · Views: 45
We're getting desync every few turns now for some reason (only started after Orthus was created, which as always desynced us)

Svartalfar / Kuriotates, non-simultaneous, not on same team
I'm running god king, but we've gotten OOS when I had citizen automation off.

This is the result of diffing our OOSLog.txt files:
Spoiler :

9c9
< Next Soren Rand Value: 9901
---
> Next Soren Rand Value: 9684
8398,8402c8398,8402
< Player 35 Assets: 132
< Player 35 Power: 234
< Player 35 Num Cities: 2
< Player 35 Num Units: 77
< Player 35 Num Selection Groups: 77