1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Completely random first game

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Bino, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

I've never understood the appeal of random. You have to live with it for 30 hours, and there are so many setting combinations that just make things terrible. Sure it's a surprise, but that surprise lasts what, 10 turns before you get a sense of the map type and civ density?

I'd much rather have a predictaby good experience. If I want surprises I'll go for a hike with sausage wrapped around my neck.

My first game will be big enough to have all the civs, epic speed continents map. Either as Japan or Egypt. If empty new world is an option, well I'm not sure actually. One of my major outstanding questions is how the current progression arc will accommodate mid-game expansion. Maybe I'll leave that off for the first game if given the choice, since 5 got it so wrong and I have seen no mention of it as a priority at this point.

2. Llotyhy

Llotyhy Chieftain

Random, not just the first game, but every single one. :)

3. spfun

spfun King

Yeah pretty much this, My first few civs to try are already chosen. Difficulty level I'm not sure yet though.

4. criZp

criZp Emperor

I'm more interested in some civs than others so no. Starting with norway, then going to germany.

5. Foulweather

Foulweather Chieftain

No, I won't be starting random. I like to have more control over my game.

Trying to decide if I'll start with Greece, India, or China in the first game. Honestly, all of the remaining civs to be announced (at this time: Sumeria, Arabia, Russia, and Rome) also interest me greatly in general, so I'll be evaluating the first look videos on the next four Tuesdays to decide.

6. cakes

cakes Prince

yeah i'm going random civ and probably random map type

7. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

With the exception of Kongo and India, I've been genuinely excited to play each and every civ they've revealed...random civ selection might be the only way to go for my first game. :D

8. Decius

Decius Chieftain

My very first game will be on the default settings, probably with the civ they use for the tutorial (which I would consider default).

After I get a few hours of gameplay under my belt I'll know what settings I want to try. From what I've seen so far, I'm guessing I will find the map too cramped and will try a larger one with fewer civs and city states.

9. trickyd

trickyd Chieftain

I was planning on going alphabetically through the civs, but I like this better. Thanks!

10. rastak

rastak Emperor

Well, then I adapt! I guess I don't get the terrible part. You are correct, it is a long time investment for me since I won't quit. Terrible? Adapt or die. Just like civ 1. You really didn't get to steer everything in your favor pre-game. I guess if you are playing on the highest difficulty and absolutely must get a certain start to compete. In this case, I'd never play at that difficulty. That sounds kind of dull.

11. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I think I will go random Civ, but I will probably pick my mapscript. Probably standard size with 2 or 3 continents.

After that, I'll be sure to get in a game as Greece (if I haven't already!) to enjoy spamming hoplites and messing around with the extra policy.

Of course, I might overturn all these plans if the Rome civ turns out to be unexpectedly awesome.

12. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I think a random Civ sounds like fun. :)

I don't believe I've done that before when playing a Civ version for the first time.

13. Ebrim

Ebrim Warlord

This is basically my philosophy too.

14. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I've never gone random in any previous version of Civ, but these leaders feel so customed and well balanced that I can see myself playing far more games in VI with the leader randomised :D
    That or an even rotation through the whole lot.

15. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

I don't wanna roll Scythia or Kongo first. Or get one of those goofy map scripts like Symmetrical Jungle Donut.

Greece/Germany/America/Japan/China/Egypt/England on Continents for me.

16. pholtz

pholtz King

I'm an achievement whore, so will probably plan most of my games to get at least one achievement. I hope to get them all a bit quicker than with V (still have 12 achievements to go! :lol:).

Assuming the achievements are similar to V, my first game will probably be the tutorial or something similar, quick, settler, duel map. The civilization will be whatever, maybe something I can get the special achievement for without much difficulty. But I would like to get the duel map, quick speed and settler done.

I'll probably be spending most of my time perusing the Civilopaedia and experimenting. But would like to quickly end the game if I wish and go on to more interesting settings.

17. Bino

Bino Warlord

Thank you for the different and interesting opinions! I'd like to underline that the idea of all random first game sums up, to me, to the fact that there are so many interesting new things to try that, randomizing, I will let the fate/pc choose for me and let's see what will come up.

On Civ 5 i remember the first game was with the native american civ, i despised them enough later on I don't even care to find out the name. But it was ok, I ended up playing all ofc.

Same goes for achievements, I'll try to get most of them but the maybe too bothersome.

18. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I'll go random civ and random map for the first few games (except I get a civ twice early on). I want to try all civs anyway.
    I usually continue to play random maps and chose this most of the times in CiV. I don't want to know how the world looks like, how much land there is etc. beforehand. Also, I'm very happy if there is a synergy between civ and map, but if it is not, I like the challenge of it (Norway on waterless hill maps and the likes).

19. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Random everything? No. Personally I'd rather learn how the game works with normal settings before diving into weird combinations. Eventually I'll play random civ/random map type, but not for several games and I understand all the mechanics better in a normal environment. Once I settle on a go to difficulty level, then I'll start with the random stuff.

20. Eramas

Eramas Warlord

Aztec, continents, 8 Civs, standard speed, prince (or its equivalent) for my first game.