1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Security Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by shadowdude, Sep 17, 2004.

1. shadowdude

shadowdude cynic in training

I've decided to make an index of free, useful computer security applications so that they can all be found in one place.

Spyware Removers
    Ad-Aware SE- Excellent spyware scanner and remover, highly recommended :goodjob:
    Spybot Search & Destroy - Another excellent scanner and remover, immunizes against spyware as well.
    Bazooka spyware&adware remover -Good scanner
    Yahoo toolbar with anti-spy The yahoo toolbar with a quick anti-spyware scanner. espically good at cleaning out tracking cookies.

Spyware Preventers
    SpywareBlaster - Immunizes your computer from spyware, highly recommended :goodjob:
    SpywareGuard -provides real time protection against hijacks and spyware downloads.

Anti-Virus
    AVG -anti-virus scanner and remover.
    Avast -anti-virus scanner and remover.
    AntiVir -scanner and remover.

Firewalls
    ZoneAlarm Firewall - Over all best firewall, highly recommended. :goodjob:
    Kerio Personal Firewall -basic firewall.
    Outpost Personal Firewall -basic firewall and filter.

Spam Fighters
    Mailwasher -protect your inbox!
    Panicware - Pop-up and spyware scanner.

Privacy
    ID Blaster -Prevent hackers and spammers from tracking you :goodjob:

Alternative Browsers
    Firefox - A knock-your-socks-off alternative to IE. Is much safer since it doesn't have activex. Includes killer features like tabbed browsing, a built in pop-up blocker, and tons of themes and extensions. My personal favorite :D
    Opera - another great browser with tabs, pop-up blocking, and customization. Much more secure than IE, although you have to put up with a small banner add.
    Mozilla A browser suite. Includes tabs and pop-up blocking, as well as a mail client and IRC chat client. All your internet needs in one application.

2. citizen001

citizen001 Banned

NOD32 is also an excellent virus scanner, 30day trial can be found at its homepage. PC User rated it as the best anti-virus program with 100% detection rates.

3. t92300

t92300 Yip Thats Me

Firewall/web cache/etc - ipcop from http://www.ipcop.org its good if you have a spare computer around

4. Paalikles

Paalikles Emperor