1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

List of Useful and Free Software v2

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Genocidicbunny, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I don't think Apple invented it. This seems to be a variation on X-Mouse, which was an option in Windows 95, and I'm pretty sure was around on Unix for some time before that.

I'm also mildly interested in The_J's calendar question. I was looking into that several months ago, and didn't find anything better than Outlook or Sunbird.

2. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

Why don't you use one of those, um, square on things on, erm… I think it's called paper. It's, like, those things that you put into printers that come out with letter on them, but they already have stuff written on them.

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I use Outlook, I'm not sure what the problem is?

Otherwise Google Calendar for Windows Client is alright.

I'm automatically writing off any non cloud-connected calendar apps as worthless.

4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I'm going to say "No", due to principle :p (and nothing more, because I don't want to have a political discussion ^^).
    I saw this http://www.ccalendar.net/ on Sunday evening, but haven't tested it yet.

5. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

For a calendar, you might want to check out Chaos Manager. Its also got a contact manager and a notebook and such.

If you're in need of a dual-pane file manager, check out tabbyFile. Not much in the way of features, but its lightweight and works pretty well.

And not free, but for Christmas I went ahead and bought a license for LinkStash. Standalone (offline) bookmark manager; for me, it was very much well worth the money. Other people might prefer something cloudy though.

Also, the Pale Moon browser. Its great.

6. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

I've started looking for an Iphone app that lets me take notes easily. Not for sharing, organizing or anything. Just for taking a note, for example for shopping, and delete it after I'm done. One click to start the app and then be able to write what I want. Like in notepad, texteditor or similar. There should be a free app like this... Anyone know one?

Edit: I think I found one: abc Notes Lite seems to be suitable.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I particularly like OneNote.

For my regular shopping I use a note that I type up on my PC, which syncs to my phone. I check off items as I buy them on my phone, and then next time I'm writing a new shopping list I just write it over the old one on my PC.

8. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

That does look like a fairly good, straightforward calendar program. Although in the interim my e-mail provider came out with an online calendar that's also pretty slick. Both appear to be decent options for the sort of intermittent "planning to go to such and such one-time event in 3 weeks" type of thing I'd use them for.

I'm surprised the iPhone doesn't come with a notes program by default. I've never had a dumbphone that didn't come with a notes program, so I figured that, like alarm clocks, it was a default for both dumbphones and smartphones. The one on my dumbphone works quite similarly to Notepad, and I have indeed used it for shopping lists in the past, though I've also used paper for that purpose and neither is clearly superior.

We seem to be lacking useful and free software lately. So I'll mention one that I've found useful - MyPhoneExplorer. It lets you sync information between your dumbphone (and, according to the website, Android phone) and your computer, so you can back up contacts, text messages, photos, pretty much whatever you want. Pretty convenient, too.

9. aimeeandbeatles

VistaSwitcher makes a slightly nicer-looking alt+tab dialog (at least in my opinion). It also supports multiple monitors.

10. aimeeandbeatles

Just tested Xinorbis, which is a hard disk analyzer. So far I like it - so it's a keeper.

11. Ron Starc

Ron Starc Chieftain

FTP Manager Lite is a better freeware FTP and SFTP client software. The clean interface is super easy to use. It will perform your files transfers quickly and efficiently. One of the best freeware FTP clients that also supports FXP.

12. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

I've been using Evernote in an identical way, and can recommend it.

13. caketastydelish

caketastydelish triggering far-left sjw snowflakes

How do you turn off perspective zoom on an iPod 5th gen with the latest OS/update installed? The tutorials online are not helping; their instructions seem to be obsolete.