• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Concerning map scripts with BTS

Dutch Canuck

Khan of Flatlanders
So for BTS map scripts: is there a post somewhere that shows sample pics of the new map scripts since vanilla?

The reason I ask is to avoid the cumbersome exercise of starting several new games and opening the worldbuilder to view each one. (I don't know worldbuilder very well, except for chea - er peeking ;)) Is there an efficient way to do this on my own in lieu of waiting for posts from others?

IIRC Sirian had a nice series of pics and explanations on the parameters of each map type - would be nice to see an update by someone sometime :D

I get odd maps with "Hemispheres". Gotta say I dig "Big and Small" though. Medium and small seems bugged since it get like horizontal striped continents.

I LOVE THE NEW MAPS. Not only are the new map scripts great (Hemispheres is my favorite), but they fixed some of the old maps as well. Now, when you select "temperate" or "tropical," you actually start in a temperate or tropical zone (as opposed to always starting near the arctic or in the middle of a desert). My vote for most improved feature.

I LOVE THE NEW MAPS. Not only are the new map scripts great (Hemispheres is my favorite), but they fixed some of the old maps as well. Now, when you select "temperate" or "tropical," you actually start in a temperate or tropical zone (as opposed to always starting near the arctic or in the middle of a desert). My vote for most improved feature.

So for example, If I were to select arid as a climate setting, I'd start in the desert? That would explain why I always get tons O forested areas.

I still hate the map scripts with the game. I have yet to find a decent script that accomidates my needs.

First off, the maps are too pattern-based. If you choose five continents, they always appear in the five die formation. four continents are always in the four corners. Way too predictable!

The terrain is too patchy. While some patchiness is fine, too often I find that the terrain layout has no flow... other than by climate-zone.

About 90% of the time, I find my starting location on the underside (or topside) of a continent right by the pole... perhaps the worse place to start (other than surrounded by mountains with no exit).

Finally, if cultural starts were able to be programmed into Civ III, why not in Civ IV's map scripts. Let me counter some arguments before they come at me... I am not a programmer, or coder, or anything like that, but I do have a basic understanding of programming and, as I said, I know it is not an impossible feat as it existed in Civ III. I do realize that it is probably not that easy to incorporate into the map scripts, but that does not stop me from wanting it. I'm sure it can be done! Also, the game vs. realism argument doesn't hold water in this case because for some of us having Tokugawa, Julius Caesar and Monte on one continent, and Roosevelt, Stalin and Alexander on another is absurd (for lack of better word). It may be fine for a deviation from the norm, but I would prefer (in this case) something a little more realistic. Also, if it is an option, then no one can complain. You can never please everybody, but with options, you please more!

These are my biggest gripes with the scripts. Most of the time, I find myself in the world builder either heavily modifying the mapgen, or wiping the map out and starting from scratch. That wouldn't be so bad if there was a pregame editor (with the ability to add any Civ's SP) available. Using the WB takes forever! With the time it takes to draw landmasses and islands, color the terrain, forge the mountians and hills, sprinkle the topography, and distribute the resources, I wind up too bored with the map to play through it all of the way. And often, I find myself rushing through the resource placement and not thinking about balance. Even the ones I planned out well before.

(On a side note, I do like that the WB now has pop-up info for the items that as you put them into the map (including yeilds and such)

Well, I guess that is enough griping for now. Here's hoping that someone will come to my rescue. (Oh, I also hate Earth maps because they are two small. And those few that I have tried that are decent are too large for my computer to run.)

Top Bottom