1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Condolences

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-Team Demogame' started by dl123654, Jul 30, 2006.

1. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

We have already had this discussion in the private forum before it closed. RM emphasised the rules.

2. Tubby Rower

Tubby Rower Chronic Slacker

Your not scared that MIA's backstabbing will be revealed are you Irongold :p

3. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

:rolleyes: History will be the ultimate proof to any backstabbery in the game and it will show that MIA have played the game with honour to written contracts :smug:

4. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

No, he's worried that the rest of MIA will find out what is happening with these missing wine shipments.:p

5. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

:wallbash: Damn that Robi_D and his interview technique of getting the subject pissed before questions are asked :lol:

6. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

We are a cultured people here at MIA. Is it no surprise that we are the only nation never to have tasted war because we will never go down to the level of savages such as every other nation so far. Only savages will backstab people, and we are way above that.

7. Tubby Rower

Ok then :rolleyes: I won't go into the tech deals that you did to get into the MA. You didn't necessarily break a treaty but you did convert it into rubber and bend and stretch it quite extensively. It'll be our little secret.

8. Robi D

Robi D Minister of (Dis)Order

Hey, now hold on there, you got pissed all by yourself:p

9. Daghdha

Daghdha Absent Minded

Imagine if you will that you are back in 6 BC when it was fashionable to wear your bedclothes out for a day. A philosopher from Crete named CH is completely and utterly not at all contented with his fellow citizens and exclaims 'All Cretans are liars!'. This is an interesting statement, coming from a Cretan because:

If CH's statement is true, then he is a liar and hence his statement is false. A contradiction.

If CH's statement is false, then it would be possible to pop your sandals on and sail over to Crete to find a Cretan who sometimes tells the truth.

Because CH didn't contradict himself in the second case (when he was lying), the statement 'All Cretans are liars' coming from a Cretan implies that there is at least one Cretan who isn't a liar. Note that, 'not all apples are green' is the same as 'there exists an apple that isn't green'.

OK. So lets refine his statement a little. Suppose CH had said 'I am a liar':

If his statement is true, then he is lying and hence his statement is false. A contradiction.

If his statement is false, then he isn't a liar and sometimes tells the truth. This merely happens to be an example where he is lying. No contradiction.

So, if someone proclaims that they are a liar, it means that they sometimes tell the truth.

Now, ancient Greeks being ancient Greeks, took this one step further. Fe3333 living in 4 BC decided to say 'I am lying'. Since we have a little tradition going:

If Fe3333's statement was true, then he is lying when he says 'I am lying' and so he isn't, ie his statement is false.

If his statement is false, then he isn't lying when he tells us he is, and so his statement is true.

This is known as the Liar's Paradox. It was completely generalised in 14 AD by a Celt philosopher named Beorn who wrote;

All statements on this page are false.
    ... on an otherwise blank page. Beorn also owned a donkey named Kutzov which starved to death while standing in between two identical bales of hay unable to choose one over the other.

10. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

:crazyeye: me thinks you have tasted too much of the dream fungus oh sage.

Good to see you back matey :wavey:

11. classical_hero

Remember that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. FREEDOM. :D

12. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Can i have some dream fungus? :mischief:

13. Daghdha

Daghdha Absent Minded

Quite right, but who invaded who here :hmm:. Anyways, we will out-invade you in due time, meanwhile you guys :rockon:

14. Robi D

Robi D Minister of (Dis)Order

Let see now, TNT attacks us without warning starting the 1st war of our continent. TNT are eventually crushed and their leadership flee to MIA, who a short time afterwards attack without warning starting the 1st war on that continent. Coincidence... I think not !

15. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

Maybe we just wanted our refugees to feel at home ;)

16. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Or... :mischief:

Spoiler :
    They got fe drunk and convinced him to pick a random civ to war with.:mischief: Either way its all fe's fault:mischief::mischief::mischief:;)

17. Tubby Rower

a bunch of heresy I say... Peaceful my Provo. MIA is full of oportunistic war-mongers :p

18. classical_hero

Let's just say that we have introduced a new level on intelligence to art of war. Yes MIA have made it an art form and one worthy of Sun Tzu's praise. :D

19. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

Hear, Hear! Sun Tzu and Clausewitz!

20. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

This is NOT <hic> an Official Leak to the UN Press

Spoiler :
    Title ... We Declare

Just shows the 'real' reason for our action ... and clearly shows who provo-oked who :p