Conflict Diplomacy Suggestions

SkylineR33FTW

Chieftain
This thread is to discuss war diplomacy and how it can be changed IT IS NOT A AI RAGE THREAD.

There are a lot of points that can be changed regarding the AI and their war tactics (everyone knows this too well) but i am writing this to highlight a few things that would be a useful addition to the franchise as a whole and would help improve
the feel of the game a lot. I like to play Civ5 with a mentality of trying to make the game im in as close to the
"real world" as possible, such of forming alliances, protecting my interests (such as in my most recent game i stationed half of my army on an island watching over China to stop an invasion from the Aztecs to protect my best trade ally.)

So i will now discuss the things that could be added to the game to improve the game dramatically.

1. You should be able to ask the AI (with 0 diplomatic point hit) to withdraw their troops from a region/war. This would be a good edition to stop the I have to attack you to protect my ally as i cannot just ask you to withdraw scenario. Much like if the Human player attacks a city state the AI will as you to withdraw from attacking, this option needs to be fully built into the next game.

2. Human/AI players should be able to warn each other about mass producing troops and how this may lead to conflict now or in the future. For example, if i am on an island with India to the West of me and Germany to the West of them, i should be able to warn Germany about their ever increasing troop numbers and how this may destabilise the whole region in war.(then again Germany in this game atm would just carry on :lol:)

3. There should be some sort of sanctions system built into place (dont know how difficult this would be to actually code) to stop a Civ completely steam rolling over any single Civilisation they meet. I do not know the exact ways this would work but it would maybe compose of trade/troop limiter/diplomatic sanctions? this is open for discussion.

4. You should be able to have other countries manage peace talks between 2 Civ's at war. For example, if Russia and France were at war, then China might hold peace talks between the 2 and discuss what each side actually wish's to gain from the conflict etc.

Above are just a few ideas that might be a useful addition to the game, if you're going to just hate on what i have put forward then please don't bother replying, obviously there are also a lot of things that need changing in the game as well as this, but once again, no hate thread :lol:

Any other suggestions for additions would be awesome :goodjob:

I wish you could tell an A.I that you were entering a War on their behalf so they understand that you aren't warmongering but trying to help them.

It could be similar to the way it works if they ask you to join in a War; you just need one option 'I am entering your war with X on your behalf', and then it automatically declares on the aggressor Civ. This could be something you have to initiate in the Diplo Panel. It could give you a diplo bonus with the Civ your backing, possibly anyone he's friendly with as well, and Negative bonus with the enemy as well as anyone who's denounced the Civ your backing.

Or, similarly, it could be an auto pop-up every time a war is declared on anyone with 3 Options; Option 1- Stay neutral to war (No Declaration), Option 2- Choose Sides (drop down menu to choose which Civ you want to back) Option 3- World Police (automatically declares against the stronger of the 2 engaged Civs). Each option could carry different Diplo Modifiers; 1 has no modifiers, 2 is same as the first Idea I had above, and 3 gives negatives to everyone except the Civ your helping out.

I like the first idea better because at least then you are initiating it yourself. The second would only be good because it would make sure you know every time there is a war, because it'd be a pop-up like a Research new tech or Choose Social Policy pop-up and you'd have to acknowledge it before the end of turn. I often don't read every single pop-up that you don't have to look at and miss things that have happened, and this would fix that, at least for war.

I wish you could tell an A.I that you were entering a War on their behalf so they understand that you aren't warmongering but trying to help them.

It could be similar to the way it works if they ask you to join in a War; you just need one option 'I am entering your war with X on your behalf', and then it automatically declares on the aggressor Civ. This could be something you have to initiate in the Diplo Panel. It could give you a diplo bonus with the Civ your backing, possibly anyone he's friendly with as well, and Negative bonus with the enemy as well as anyone who's denounced the Civ your backing.

Or, similarly, it could be an auto pop-up every time a war is declared on anyone with 3 Options; Option 1- Stay neutral to war (No Declaration), Option 2- Choose Sides (drop down menu to choose which Civ you want to back) Option 3- World Police (automatically declares against the stronger of the 2 engaged Civs). Each option could carry different Diplo Modifiers; 1 has no modifiers, 2 is same as the first Idea I had above, and 3 gives negatives to everyone except the Civ your helping out.

I like the first idea better because at least then you are initiating it yourself. The second would only be good because it would make sure you know every time there is a war, because it'd be a pop-up like a Research new tech or Choose Social Policy pop-up and you'd have to acknowledge it before the end of turn. I often don't read every single pop-up that you don't have to look at and miss things that have happened, and this would fix that, at least for war.

Pretty great ideas :) world police - the US :lol: ;)

But yeah the entering on your behalf is something which is annoying not being able to do, i mean in a recent game, Germany invaded Persia and i sent troops to help my ally (Persia) from losing all of their cities, unfortunetly i couldnt DoW Germany without having CS's all permaDoW me. -_- i mean it wasn't an act of aggression, it was merely helping my Ally.

@SkylineR33FTW:
I don't dislike the idea of more diplomatic options in general.
The main proplem about them: What will be their effect?

Your points 1) and 2), for example. I agree, it would be neat to have such diplomatic demands. But what, if the AI simply refuses to acclaim? OK, if the player is asked by the AI and refuses, a negativ modifier will occur. But the other way round? There is no game mechanic right now to make this sort of demands usefull in the player's hands.

What I would like to see, is some "casus belli" limiting the negative effects of going to war in CiV.
For example, if you got attacked by the same opponent three times in a row, the "community of civilized states" sees your need to attack this opponent yourself and maybe even eliminate the threat for once and always.
Or, to take your proposals into account: If you (reasonably) warned an opponent three times without positive reactions, you have a "casus belli" to attack this opponent and there will be no warmonger penality for this special DoW.
The broblem hereby is: How to calculate "reasonable"? Of course it makes no sence, if the player just has to demand something three times without good reason and has no need to fear any negative effects.

About your point 3):
Isn't there already a sort of sanctions? A warmonger will have no trading partners or at least extremely disadvantageous trading deals right now.

The game should definately track when the AI declares war you. That way, let's say India attacks you when you are weak you habe the option of going to war with them later without a diplo hit. They attack you and after a while you go to peace. Then a little bit later you still have the option to declare war on the bully India without the wRmonger hit. Maybe even a screen asking y u why you are going to war:

1) They attacked me before, I'm going to make them understand not to do it again (no diplo hit)
2) They refused a fair trade with me (yes the game can track this) so i want the resource (small diplo hit)
3) They demanded resources from me, I'm just protecting my stuff (diplo hit)
4) They denounced me (diplo hit)
5) I AM a war monger...prepare to die!!!!! (Large diplo hit)

Obviously with the game tracking wars, sometime on option 5 would be available. For city stares there should not be a change.

Top Bottom